Clutch Help

bisquit61

Registered
Had a Brocks clutch mod installed on my 04 and took it to the track. Now while sliding the clutch out I get a jerky feel. My launch is no longer smooth. Feels like the clutch is grabbing and releasing. My mechanic says to remove a couple of the spacers that came with the mod. Anyone have this problem? If so what did you do? Thanks for any help

The same thing happened on my 03 before I installed the Brocks mod. Ended up being a bent clutch basket and I had to replace the inner/outer to get it right. This is when I learned the clutch mod is the FIRST mod I do before drag racing my BUSA's... :beerchug:

What heavy springs?

The spacers are made for the stock springs.

Was the clutch mod a new unit?

I don't know why everyone is talking about spring pressure as an issue for this problem. Your spring pressure should never cause your symptom (unless we are talking about slippage). Remove your clutch basket and inspect the grooves that the clutch plates ride in for "chatter" marks. My first thought would be that the clutch plates aren't sliding in the basket smoothly. Look for and run your finger nail up and down the channels and see if you can feel any tiny notches (this can be caused by hard launches). Brock's phone # is 1-937-912-0054, they are great for over the phone diagnostics

-Dan

Had the same problem.(mod with the ring and heavy springs)

In my case it came from the steel-plates. There was no damage to see and even when messuring on granite table they seemed to be ok. (i m toolmaker ,so i can control this the right way)

Only thing to see were some blue "burned" spots (like on brake rotors) but only on 5 plates not on all.
But something was wrong with them , because after changing the whole steel package it went way better.

I had a GSXR 1000 that had a violent constant engage and disengagement while trying to launch the bike, while inspecting outer clutch basket found to have grooves made from the fiber clutches. Replaced with billet basket and problem solved.... also have seen the hot spots on the steels cause similar issues, so remove and clean steels with brake cleaner and rough them up with 200 grit sand paper to take the glaze off, clean them again and reinstall. This is an old funny bike trick that I learned from local AMA funny bike racer, Troy Brown. Obviously if any of the steels are warped they will need replaced (usually not all the steels will warp, only a couple out of the set will need replaced normally)

Back