lane sharing with cagers. not what you think

craigntx

Registered
yesterday this happened for the 3rd time.
i'm in the right side of my lane, i guess not going fast enough. idiot in a truck rolls right thru my lane, less than a foot away from my left hand.
not like where they change lanes into you, they're behind you, then just roll right on thru, in your lane:banghead:
the 1st time was on the fwy.

if only i had someone to bail me out of jail i prolly woulda gone ape #&*t.
solution?
and the middle of the lane is saturated with oil, that won't work either

havent had that happen to me...

instead they usually mistake me for the dashed yellow line and try to merge into me...

yargh...

freaking tempted to put a giant blue flashing light on my head...

always makes me want to use it for an excuse if i ever get pulled over for speeding...

"I wasnt speeding, i was running away from the giant death machines trying to hit me!"

It's lane splitting, not sharing. No state has lane sharing.

Actually it is lane sharing not splitting. Lane sharing in CA law states that a motorcycle may share a single lane with another vehicle. It was designed so motorcycles could ride side by side but also allows us to be next to a car. When going between cars you must be in one lane or the other. If you are ON the line between lanes you can be ticketed. I know this from personal experience. Technically if you change lanes without a signal you can be ticketed for that too tho it rarely if ever happens.

If you ride the far right of the lane, you are giving the cagers room to pull up. Ride the left just off center to avoid the oil and that will not give them enough room to share on the right. just my .02

I've had it happen to me 2 or 3 times. The 1st time it was an old lady in a white Cadillac, and we were on city/surface streets going about 30~40mph...she wasn't even looking. So my carbon fiber knuckles gave her a nice bang on her drivers window which followed by a little birdy. Scared the **** out of her and she jerked the wheel to the right (thank god), and I heard her wheel make contact with the curb. LOL, I laughed and had a smile on my face for the next few miles. Old people in FL will get you every time. But I'm willing to bet this one I had contact with will be a little more attentive. :whistle:

If you ride the far right of the lane, you are giving the cagers room to pull up. Ride the left just off center to avoid the oil and that will not give them enough room to share on the right. just my .02

+1......
This will keep you in sight of the side mirror. If you ride to far right my not see you, especially if they're just taking a quick look.

That's illegal here in Az. The driver of the vehicle that does this will be sited for wreckless driving!

Question #1: What are you doing riding in the right hand portion of the lane? You should be riding directly in front/behind the drivers position of the lane. That means the left 1/3rd of the lane. It puts you right in the view of the drivers in front and behind you. If you are not BLOCKING the view of the driver behind you they may not even see you there.

Question #2: Have you ever taken a safe riding or MSF Basic Rider Course? They cover this topic pretty well.

Back