Kinda new. Few Maintenance Questions?

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
Alright. First wanted to say hi to everyone. I'm a Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune in NC set to deploy in Feb of next year. Had my '05 busa for 4 months now and looking to upgrade it as cheaply as possible.

1) Im looking to get an upgrade on my brakes. Whats the best brakes everyone suggests? Keep stock and upgrade the lines or another brand that had longevity as well as performance?

2) Whats the best power commander that you have that you think is the best on as far as being able to self tune it on a laptop?

3) What is the best tire that has the best life but isn't a P.O.S. as far as handling. Im not looking for alot of grip. Just enough that i can ride on wet roads with complete confidence.

4) Anything else i should upgrade besides the obvious air filter, good oil, spark plugs, and HID?

Thanks guys i really appreciate it :bowdown:

Russell,
I am in Jacksonville - I live over by the old walmart, I will PM you my number; I will be doing some work to Bessie for most of the day tomorrow. If you can, stop by and we'll see what info I can get for you.

MCM

i would suggest whole exhaust remove pair valve and small air box mod. get a dyojet power commander usb. i would personally have it tuned then save the map and learn to mess around with it on a lab top..

:welcome: to the Org.
Thank you for your service, and hope we can help you in any way.
There will be many answers to all your ?'s
Ride safe,
Bubba

Welcome!

:welcome:

Lots of help here for your questions.

I upgraded to the Spiegler stainless lines for my brakes. Worked well for a first start.

I have a PC IIIUSB and it does all I need for my mods.

I run the stickies tires I can and the heck with mileage.
I don't drive high miles, but want to stick when I need them and for stopping. BT016 and BT 003RS best so far. About 5K miles out of a set.

Good luck!

thanks for the info. Just bought my pair block off kit on ebay for 13 bucks, thats probly why my idle is a little offish. going to take a whack at the small box mod sometime soon too. seems easy

Congrats and welcome! :beerchug: Thanks for your service. Not too many options for brakes, but SS lines make a big difference.

hey

1, I found the Tokico 6 pots lacking in feel despite using in conjunction with EBC pads and steel lines. I replaced them with Nissin 4 pots found, on, amongst others, the RF900 I believe. bought them new for around the same price you would spend on replacement pistons and seals.
These coupled with a good pad (currently using bendix HH) beat the Tokico 6's hands down on feel and performance (in my humble opinion)

2, I have a PC111 usb too and whilst i have used it to load a ballpark map, I wouldn't recommend tuning on the road even with an AFR guage ... I got mine mapped on a rolling road and haven't needed to touch it since. Not surprisingly this gave a significant improvement to a downloaded map

3, I can recommend Avon Storms for good allround tyres. I'm very happy with them for day to day riding I have toured europe, and done a few laps of the Nordschleif in poor weather with good feel and lots of confidence
Have a set of the Storm Ultras ready to go on the spare rims and expect these to be as good , or better

4, Change the brake fluid when you do the lines .. I alternate between ATE Racing Blue and Castrol RF .. (it's easy to see when the new fluid is flowing due to the different colours)

Read the Jinkster(sp?) suspension settings post that's on here and setup to suit your weight

I found that the stock levers didn't provide enough adjustment for me, so adjustables like Pazo are a good upgrade if you have the same problem
I took a chance on some ebay items from HK and they gave me the adjustment i needed. I've no doubt the Pazo or AVS (sp) are far superior, but the cheapies did the job for me as i only wanted a lil more adjustment

HTH

hey

1, I found the Tokico 6 pots lacking in feel despite using in conjunction with EBC pads and steel lines. I replaced them with Nissin 4 pots found, on, amongst others, the RF900 I believe. bought them new for around the same price you would spend on replacement pistons and seals.
These coupled with a good pad (currently using bendix HH) beat the Tokico 6's hands down on feel and performance (in my humble opinion)

2, I have a PC111 usb too and whilst i have used it to load a ballpark map, I wouldn't recommend tuning on the road even with an AFR guage ... I got mine mapped on a rolling road and haven't needed to touch it since. Not surprisingly this gave a significant improvement to a downloaded map

3, I can recommend Avon Storms for good allround tyres. I'm very happy with them for day to day riding I have toured europe, and done a few laps of the Nordschleif in poor weather with good feel and lots of confidence
Have a set of the Storm Ultras ready to go on the spare rims and expect these to be as good , or better

4, Change the brake fluid when you do the lines .. I alternate between ATE Racing Blue and Castrol RF .. (it's easy to see when the new fluid is flowing due to the different colours)

Read the Jinkster(sp?) suspension settings post that's on here and setup to suit your weight

I found that the stock levers didn't provide enough adjustment for me, so adjustables like Pazo are a good upgrade if you have the same problem
I took a chance on some ebay items from HK and they gave me the adjustment i needed. I've no doubt the Pazo or AVS (sp) are far superior, but the cheapies did the job for me as i only wanted a lil more adjustment

HTH

I was looking at the PCIII. is that the best power commander for the busa? i know some PCs have and auto tuning because they have an 02 sensor accessory

Back