Key Contact Symptoms

MikesGSX1300RK9

Registered
Ref my issue regarding a stall this afternoon (believed to have been due to overheating, although temp gauge was only slightly above center when stall occurred, see other post from today in this forum.)

How would a stall manifest if a key were not making appropriate contact? How good must contact in the ignition be for our Gen-II keys to work properly?

Reason I ask is that I bent my original key a month or so ago, right after purchase, while removing it from the gas cap. Had no idea the key was so flimsy (my Ninja's keys aren't) and barely was able to get it back into the ignition to drive home from the gas station.

Since then, have had increasing difficulty opening the rear seat storage area with that key. If I flip it over, it works OK but not great. Other original key has no issues either in the ignition or storage lock.

My thought is that perhaps the key I was using today wasn't making sufficient contact inside the ignition for some reason. Seems like a very slim chance this would have been the reason for the stall, but I'm trying to track down potential causes.

Rode the bike for 30 minutes tonight with no issues at all... but the temp gauge didn't get quite as warm (only heated to halfway through its range after sitting outside the garage for about 45 seconds after the ride).

Disturbing that I haven't nailed down the cause... considerering I'd like to ride the Busa to work tomorrow morning.

Mike

Since USA bikes have no electronic theft deterrent on them and key has no chip in it I don't think 'contact' has anything to do with it.
Simply unlocks the ignition .
Others may correct me ?

Since USA bikes have no electronic theft deterrent on them and key has no chip in it I don't think 'contact' has anything to do with it.
Simply unlocks the ignition .
Others may correct me ?

Makes sense to me.

Use the other key as the primary, and the best as your back up

Back