Temperature sending unit???????????????

longhorn2000

Registered
On my way to work today in the Texas heat of 108 degrees I was cruising at 75-80 and the bike shut down. I pulled over and the temp gauge was pegged out in the red. I shut the key off wait about thirty seconds and turned the key on and the temp gauge went to the middle normal operating temperature. I then took off to get to work and it did it two more times same exact thing each time. I am wondering if it could be the temp sending unit and if so

where is it located. Thank you in advance for any help.

if you are moving it shouldnt get that hot. if you are sitting in traffic it will. You might want to flush your coolant system and put in fresh correct coolant and make sure there are no air bubbles.

You can also install a switch to turn on the fan manually to help some.

What year model bike?

Dont waste money on Engine Ice....results vary....

the temp sending unit is located in the head on the left side of the bike under the throttle bodies.. could be an air pocket in your cooling system as well.

the temp unit associated with fan is in radiator

check fan fuse

be sure wiring for fan isn't touching #1 cylinder header

mine did same thing.. only i shut it down once i saw light was on and gage on high. let it cool down 15 mins. got it home and let it cool. checked rad.. zero water. put premixed water wetter i had in it.. but as well, checked overflow..it was plugged up so removed it and unplugged it. somehow the shroud on the fan was against rad and wore a nice half circle in radiator. so ordered one cheap one aftermarket off ebay.. I highly suggest no one do this cause they do not fit correctly. the lower outlet nipple.. was kicked outward when to be inward. got 2nd one.. better but angle still not correct. cowling hits hose and temp sender. so am sending both back and going to find a used one for now off ebay. cheapest oem i found so far is from bike bandit for $632. good luck with yours.. i live in Redding Ca so yea, its been hot here.. 102 to 107... too hot to be replacing parts.

I have some oem used rads..

mine did same thing.. only i shut it down once i saw light was on and gage on high. let it cool down 15 mins. got it home and let it cool. checked rad.. zero water. put premixed water wetter i had in it.. but as well, checked overflow..it was plugged up so removed it and unplugged it. somehow the shroud on the fan was against rad and wore a nice half circle in radiator. so ordered one cheap one aftermarket off ebay.. I highly suggest no one do this cause they do not fit correctly. the lower outlet nipple.. was kicked outward when to be inward. got 2nd one.. better but angle still not correct. cowling hits hose and temp sender. so am sending both back and going to find a used one for now off ebay. cheapest oem i found so far is from bike bandit for $632. good luck with yours.. i live in Redding Ca so yea, its been hot here.. 102 to 107... too hot to be replacing parts.

Back