Keeping the Headlight on

Wild07

Registered
I recently ordered and installed a N2O harness from Boost By Smith (Smithabusa) and wired it to my starter button instead of using the ecu and a window switch. I tapped into the yellow/green tracer wire near the starter solenoid for my switched 12v to trigger the map switching and N2O activation. The relay in the harness switches when the starter button is triggered, and there is a interrupt switch to keep from spraying at start-up. Here is my dilemma -- when the engine is running, the headlight will turn off when the starter button is pushed! I know during normal operation Suzuki did this to send all available voltage to the starter, but I can forsee this being a problem when riding/racing at night. I'm not sure by looking at the wiring diagram if this is a function of the ECU since that yellow/green wire also connects to the ecu, or if it is a function of the starter relay. My original thought was to splice a switch after my tap for the N2O relay to open the starter circuit, but if it's a function of the ECU I will have to find a different way. Anyone's help here would be GREATLY appreciated, especially since I've got another bike to wire up this way too!:please:

Earley models don't do that as in pre 05 I beleave.. guessing it's in the relay but not sure. someone will chime in..

Last edited:
Mine is an '07, forgot to add that in. It sure doesnt look like it's in the relay, but I could be wrong, it happened once! lol. I know the earlier one's didnt operate that way, as all the wiring diagrams for the starter circuit look the same in my book, that's why i was leaning towards the ECU.

The ecu's are the same from '02 on up to '07 so i don't think it can be there.. Shoot Greg (boostbysmith) a pm he might know. :thumbsup:

I asked Greg, but his is a '00 so he wasnt sure. I think I'm going to try wiring up a switch after my N2O arming switch to open the starter solenoid and keep the switch from activating the solenoid. That should keep it from killing my lights, I think, right? Yeah... I'll update tonight after work.

well, opening the yellow/green wire doesnt keep the headlight from turning off. either at the starter solenoid or the ECU. back to the diagram for a little bit. I'll post back up if/when I figure it out.????????????

:cheerleader:Figured it out!!! From the starter switch there are 4 wires. Two for the starter that make a connection when pressed (yellow/green and black/yellow) and two that turn the lights off (orange/red and yellow/white) when the start button is pressed. The orange/red wire is a switched 12v. from the ignition switch. Removing these two from the black bulk connector under the left front dash side panel and connecting them with a jumper wire will keep the headlight on during cranking and during N20 activation with the harness Smithabusa made me. Pretty simple actually after looking at my feeds through the switch and it's normal position. :beerchug::thumbsup:

I'll post some pics up soon as I get back out to the garage to show what I'm talking about.

Here are some pics of my wiring setup, please excuse some of the sloppy-ness. Again, Greg wired up his Nitrous harness so I could spray using the starter button instead of the window switch that the ECU is equiped with and still have the map switching function. The 12v lead coming from the starter switch( yellow w green tracer) is tapped for activation, with a STDP switch to de-activate the nitrous when starting the motorcycle, otherwise the harness is hooked up just as it normally would when allowing the ECU to control the spray. I apologize for the large picture size, I'm not too good at posting them and too impatient to re-size them all.

Tying into the 12v+
P2010237.jpg

The switch wired in to disarm the nitrous
P2010241.jpg

The connector for the starter button with the wires that must be pulled out
P2020244.jpg

The jumper I made from a harness I had laying around and heat shrinked the factory wires if I EVER want to return to stock
P2020249.jpg

Again, sorry for the size of the pictures. If you have any questions on where or what or how, feel free to shoot me a pm. I'll do what I can to help out.:beerchug:

Back