K8 Rear Tire Change

Cut Tire, Now the old tire comes off very easily.

500CutTire.jpg

The first side of the new tire is easy to put on. MAKE SURE OF PROPER TIRE DIRECTION.

I believe this is the heavy side of tire indicator dot, it corresponded with the belting overlap area in the inside of the tire(shown in next pic)

Heavy Side of Tire is 180 degrees from valve stem

500HeavyDot.jpg

Now for the final side of the new tire, spoons held in place by 1/2-13 allthread with drilled washers and "S" hooks.

500OuterHold.jpg

2 ounces of DynaBeads for this tire, 56.69 grams. 20 gram tire weight(opposite of valve stem), was REMOVED before I started.

500DynaBeads.jpg

Installing beads, if jamming, squeeze bottle to move the beads back and forth.

500InstallBeads.jpg

Put valve stem in, allow tire to seat, etc, etc, etc. I used my 77 Chevy Luv (Isuzu) scissor jack to help get the tire into place

500Scissor.jpg

Torque axlenut to 72 lb.ft and Good to Go!

That's All Folks

Hopefully this is helpful to some, chime away with comments. Thanks, John

500Torque72.jpg

Dang John, you put a lot of effort into changing a tire! Personally, I think I would have pait twenty bucks to getRdone.

Good tire choice by the way. Q's are my favorite tire of choice although the 15 you removed is a really good performer as well.

If you were skidding the rear on downshifts with your 15, your Q will do the same. You must be a hard charging dude to skid the rear using a slipper clutch?

You do have good engineering skills combined with mechanical ability. Congrats on your accomplishment!

Dang John, you put a lot of effort into changing a tire! Personally, I think I would have pait twenty bucks to getRdone.

Good tire choice by the way. Q's are my favorite tire of choice although the 15 you removed is a really good performer as well.

If you were skidding the rear on downshifts with your 15, your Q will do the same. You must be a hard charging dude to skid the rear using a slipper clutch?

You do have good engineering skills combined with mechanical ability. Congrats on your accomplishment!
Thanks, The jig was made from scrap material in my garage, so no cost there. I live 35 miles out in the country so bike shop is about 50 miles, gas adds up these days.

My baby son is too young to hold the tire irons and wife has no desire to, so I just do what I need to in the garage, with my direct TV and 6-pack
thumb_up.gif

This information/procedure is not for everyone but I hope to generate some ideas from it etc. Thanks, John

Holy Crap that's a lot of work! But as long as you enjoy it and take pride in it that's all that matters...my neighbors think the same of me whenever they see me wrenching on my bike when it's on the lift.

Personally I'll pay the $20.00

Angus MacGyver favors brain over brawn in order to solve desperate problems. MacGyver's main asset is his practical application of scientific knowledge and inventive use of common items"â€￾along with his ever-present Swiss Army knife and duct tape. The clever solutions MacGyver implemented to seemingly intractable problems"â€￾often in life-or-death situations requiring him to improvise complex devices in a matter of minutes"â€￾were a major attraction of the show, which was praised for generating interest in the applied sciences, and particularly engineering,

reminded me of him

What can you do with duct tape and fishing line?

Just curious about the dot on the tire.
I thought it was suppose to be lined up with the valve stem? I just had a set of Q's put on and thats how mine were mounted.
Does it really matter or is it just to avoid having to add too much balance weight?

...Good Write up.
beerchug.gif

What are the beads? I know they are wheel weights of some kind, but I have no idea how they work, or what they do.

Back