K8 Front Tire Change

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
At 11,300 miles the front Battlax hit the wear indicators, I decided to go with a Dunlop Qualifier, as I did for my rear tire change.

My bike support methods are unconventional but effective. My rear tire change info can be found here:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/new-2008-busa-threads/90498-k8-rear-tire-change.html

It is not my intent to inform how to do the change (downloadable PDF is good for that), just some hopefully helpful information. Feel free to chime in with comments. Lots of pics to come, First pic shows the obvious.

Brake.jpg

I needed the rear wheel to rotate as I raised the front end, the jackstands kept the bike vertical, while the wood behind the wheel kept the license light from hitting the wall.

RearTire.jpg

I jacked the front end up, just in front of the exhaust weld. I used a triangular piece of wood on top the jack.

Exhaust.jpg

I went up through the downtube, (to my ceiling), with a ratchet strap as a jack safety support.

Downtube.jpg

I also ended up putting 2 extra,(no load bearing, (safety only)), safety straps on the handlebar eyebolts.

Profile2.jpg

It seemed the maintenance manual called for alot of stuff to be removed,( i.e., fender), I thought by raising the front of the fender 24" I could drop the wheel down and avoid removing the fender.

24inch.jpg

I was able to keep the front fender on, with the bike raised this high, these bolts are 10mm.

10mm.jpg

The manual is not good at calling this axle bolt size out, I believe it is 22mm, my 7/8" six point seemed to be a really good fit.

78.jpg

The only real pain was this ,(inside the fender), 10mm bolt. Notice how I squeeze my arm inside the wheel with the wrench to reach.

Pain10mm.jpg

Calipers up and out of the way. Note the wear indicator notches on the shoes.

Brake1.jpg

Hopefully some might find useful, ride safe!:thumbsup:
(yes my blue tape was a reminder to get the tire mounted the right direction)

FrontView.jpg

Last edited:
An awful lot of work and potential damage can all be avoided with proper bike stands, but to each their own... if your method works for you, that's cool. :agree:

I am a bit more trusting of Pitbull stands, front and rear, when I have the wheels off to replace tires.... and even then, it can be a little un-nerving:

front_off.jpg

An awful lot of work and potential damage can all be avoided with proper bike stands, but to each their own... if your method works for you, that's cool. :agree:

I am a bit more trusting of Pitbull stands, front and rear, when I have the wheels off to replace tires.... and even then, it can be a little un-nerving:

front_off.jpg

Yep, I can't argue that point. I see fender removed? did you need to, or want to?, you didnt get the wheel off with the calipers still attached did you? Amount of work wasn't too bad, a six pack and sci-fi channel in the garage, time flies!

Last edited:
In the case of that above photo, it was the very first I have removed the front tire, and I was just following the manual. Never have removed it in the eight times I've changed tires since this past April. Obviously, it's unnecessary to remove the fender completely (although it does need to be loosened so the tire can slip out from underneath, when using the Pittbull stand).

Back