K&N filter question

too many toys

Registered
My wife bought me a K&N filter for my 07. Will this filter do anything or did she waste her money? She bought me a 2 Bros exhaust for Christmas and the guy she got it from said the exhaust works really well with a K&N so she got me one. I did notice that my bike was running rich after I installed the exhaust so maybe it will help a little ? What do you guys think ?

it will save you money in the long run from buying stock filters... As far as performance, not really any gain IMO.

I think your wife is flippin' awesome! The filter should handle the additional airflow better than the stock one. Your new exhaust means the airflow will exit faster...thus pulling more in quicker (assuming more can get in).

it will save you money in the long run from buying stock filters... As far as performance, not really any gain IMO.

On a stock motor bike i would have to agree, might help slightly at higher rpms where more airflow is needed. you should probably do an air box mod with the filter and exhaust. together the filter and airbox mod help some.

I run a K&N with a 4-2-1 Micron System and i think it helps allow the bike to breath better, you will save in the long run if you keep the K&N clean every so often, you will never have to replace it. :thumbsup: for the WIFE!!! my wife got me a Tobin seat for x-mas!!!! gotta love em.

I use a K&N.
I like it a lot.
I clean it often and the bike always has a new filter in it.
The problem with the paper filter, is if it is only 1/2 dirty, do you change it?
JMO

Last edited:
The stock filter actually flows better than the K+N...you can clean and reuse the K+N, so in the long run it saves you some $$$. The Two Brothers exhaust (bolt ons?)...they sound good, but the restriction in the stock exhaust is in the main header.

Bolt on exhaust and a aftermarket air filter are two popular mods...but there is no noticeable HP gains in just doing these two mods...just noise.

I had to change my 08's air filter at 5k. it was very dirty. Put a stock one back in it. But will go to a pipercross or BMC next time around!

The stock filter actually flows better than the K+N...you can clean and reuse the K+N, so in the long run it saves you some $$$. The Two Brothers exhaust (bolt ons?)...they sound good, but the restriction in the stock exhaust is in the main header.

Bolt on exhaust and a aftermarket air filter are two popular mods...but there is no noticeable HP gains in just doing these two mods...just noise.

+1.

BA Busa's got it right. No appreciable HP gain unless your looking at a dyno graph. Where you come ahead is if you keep you bike several years and especially if it's dusty area where the stock would need changed once or twice a year. The K&N allows you to clean the media and re-oil. There's an art to re-oiling the damn things and I always use surgeons gloves to keep the oil off my hands. My ownrs manual says I can clean the stock one but I haven't tried so I cannot attest to it's effectiveness. I run the K&N's on my BMW and my truck. The stock is just fine as well. Your FI system should compensate for the new exhaust system. You may need to get the map checked or maybe an oxygen sensor? Ask around here someone with more FI skills than I (old carb guy me) will get you pointed in the right direction. Wardie

hey airfilter will give a little more crispnes on the throttle response. yeah my wife bought my bike f or a christmas she is the best didnt even see it commin.:cheerleader:

Here is my opinion on "flow"

1. Best flow - No Air Filter. Some do it, I won't but it is the best flow.
2. Second best flow - K&N with no oil. This is better than #1 as it will stop the big, medium and small debris, but will let a lot of the dust etc. through.
3. Third best flow – K&N with very light oil. This will stop a lot of the dust.
4. Fourth best flow- K&N properly oiled and OEM stock filter. These are probably equal, and will pick up almost all the dust pollutants.

As with anything else, the better the flow, the more the HP and the less filtering of the intake air. An individual may pick whichever compromise he chooses.

JMO

Well, it would help to know what other mods have been performed if any. But the air filter will help and the bike will breathe better. Running rich is not an issue at all. You would rather have a rich condition than a lean one. Lean will hurt parts, especially alluminum and Rich will only hurt plugs and oil (if anything).
My opinion on the subject.

BA Busa's got it right. No appreciable HP gain unless your looking at a dyno graph. Where you come ahead is if you keep you bike several years and especially if it's dusty area where the stock would need changed once or twice a year. The K&N allows you to clean the media and re-oil. There's an art to re-oiling the damn things and I always use surgeons gloves to keep the oil off my hands. My ownrs manual says I can clean the stock one but I haven't tried so I cannot attest to it's effectiveness. I run the K&N's on my BMW and my truck. The stock is just fine as well. Your FI system should compensate for the new exhaust system. You may need to get the map checked or maybe an oxygen sensor? Ask around here someone with more FI skills than I (old carb guy me) will get you pointed in the right direction. Wardie

The FI system would need an O2 sensor to compensate for exhaust changes. Without some kind of sensor the computer won't know that anything has changed and will provide the same amount of fuel until it's re-flashed, as far as I know. I'm still trying to learn the in's and out's of motorcycle mechanics and electrical systems.

Back