K&N Air Filter Gen 1 Question

UNDERCOVER4

Registered
I just got a K&N air filter for my Gen 1. I was under the impression that it came with a top and bottom seal. Mine only came with the top seal and it looks like they added a rubber flange to the bottom of the filter in place of a actual separate lower seal.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm trying to make sure mine is installed correctly. I'm not sure if they changed the design on these or what.

Thanks for any help :please:

Sorry bro. I would love to help you out but I do not have a gen 1 or run the k&n.

From my experience with then in on other vehicles they usually give you everything you need for the application.

Sorry bro. I would love to help you out but I do not have a gen 1 or run the k&n.

From my experience with then in on other vehicles they usually give you everything you need for the application.

Thanks anyway bud. :beerchug:

I'm gonna call K&N now and figure it out. :whistle:

I purchased a used k&n filter for my gen1 off of th bay. It was almost new and I figured since the original filter was in the bike and 13 years old, couldnt be any worse. Anyways, I did notice there was no lower gasket on mine, so I just removed the foam liner from the factory and transfered it over to the K&N. I figured it couldnt hurt. Other K&Ns I had in the past for other vehicles, use to come with a heavy type grease that you would smear on the contact surface around the opening of the filter. Dont know if thats the case with the new ones though.

I dont know about your issue but has anyone recommended a BMC racing air filter to you? Ran a k and n on my gen 1 then switched to bmc and it performed wayyyyy better.

I used to run a K&N on the Gen II and I know testing a few years ago showed it had a lower air flow. I have run the BMC race filter for the last few years.

I had a K&N on my old Gen 1...didn't seal that well, hard plastic top and no rubber seal etc....switched to a BMC and it was excellent fit wise.

I debated going with the BMC.... Oh well, too late now..???

On a side note I went to install my filter yesterday and ended up with a fuel leak :banghead:

I raised the tank and installed the prop rod and then I started to smell gas.. I looked down and it was running out all over the floor... One of the lines ripped when I raised the tank.. What a mess!

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Back