Just an Observation

mzrsq

Busaless
Donating Member
Registered
Shortly after having my Micron and PCIIIR installed last May, I went ahead and installed the Ivans TRE to help with the slight surge I get while rolling through my neighborhoods 15-25 mph zones. With the Micron and TRE I consistently got 38 mpg last year.

Now to this year, I installed a 43 tooth rear which in theory should reduce the mpg even more, but decided to see how the new gearing affected the rpm and rolling the slow speeds through the neighborhood, so I removed the TRE.

Consensus, still have some slight surging, but the mpg have gone up to 42.5 mpg without the TRE. Now in the 5 gallons these things carry, that doesn't amount to a whole lot further that you can roll, but thought it was interesting enough to share.

if your relying on the trip computer to calculate the mpg's, its going to be waaaay off.

go back to flinstones time and do the mpg calc's by hand.

Yeah ... I went 16/42 and my mpg went way down from the high 30's to the low 30's for sure.

if your relying on the trip computer to calculate the mpg's, its going to be waaaay off.

Yeah Cache, info from the bikes trip computer, have never actually figured it the proper way.................I did forget to mention, that with the gear swap, a speedo-healer was added, so the odometer readings are correct. Figured I'd better get that info out there before somebody called me on it cause that would make a difference also.

mzrsq do you mind of sharing a pic of your bike with the micron filter on?
rock.gif

Yeah Cache, info from the bikes trip computer, have never actually figured it the proper way.................I did forget to mention, that with the gear swap, a speedo-healer was added, so the odometer readings are correct.  Figured I'd better get that info out there before somebody called me on it cause that would make a difference also.
Actually your odo is accurate from the factory and your speedo is off by approximantely +8% (w/o gear/tire changes). If you add a SH to correct your speedo your speed will register accurately but your odo will now be off by the corresponding +/- % change.
smile.gif

How do you like the 43t rear?
rock.gif

please explain how the odometer and the speed-o work independent of each other...yet together.
If one is wrong, they both should be wrong....when one is corrected, they should both be correct.

rock.gif

Yeah Cache, info from the bikes trip computer, have never actually figured it the proper way.................I did forget to mention, that with the gear swap, a speedo-healer was added, so the odometer readings are correct.  Figured I'd better get that info out there before somebody called me on it cause that would make a difference also.
Actually your odo is accurate from the factory and your speedo is off by approximantely +8% (w/o gear/tire changes). If you add a SH to correct your speedo your speed will register accurately but your odo will now be off by the corresponding +/- % change.
smile.gif

rock.gif
So if thats the case... then how do you set right the odo
rock.gif

rock.gif

The odo is dead on accurate from the factory and the speedo is offset to be approximately +8% higher. There are numerous theories for this with some being added "perceived" thrill factor, increased safety margin, etc. By law the odo has to read accurately for warranty reasons, accuracy in reporting when selling a vehicle etc. Simply put the odo cannot be innacurate and has been tested to be so. You can test this yourself by timing mile markers on the freeway, I have done this. They can be different because the the gauge pkg uses a different algorythm for each. I am not a Suzuki engineer so you would have to ask them their reasoning for doing this stuff. So on a factory bike if a SH or Yellow Box is added to correct the speedo error, the odo's registered miles will decrease by the same %. If you want your odo to read right then leave it alone. If you want your speedo to register right then fix it with one of the above, but you can't have both. The Busa also doesn't seem to have much if any linear error, meaning that as you increase speed the % of difference doesn't increase or decrease. So once set to be accurate it should be reasonably close throughout the whole range.
smile.gif

how do u guys get such good gas mileage....from day one my gas gauge reads 25.9 mpg. and i got it down to 22.8 is my gauge off? i do not have any spead mods on it.

Ok, confused as h#ll, I've always wondered and have read very mixed responses on this topic. So if this is the case, those correcting for a 220 speedo change are throwing off the odometer even more? I've never checked it to mile markers. What I do know is I rode with my cousin yesterday on his factory stock 03 VTX1800, both filled up at the gas station and set trip odometers (he has no gas gauge, I always reset so I know how much further I can go), at the end of our ride he read 51.8 and mine read 52.4 for a .6 mile difference between the 2 bikes. I thought concidering the speedo-healer calculation of bike percentage plus 43 tooth, this was pretty damn close.

Would be interested in additional information!
rock.gif

rock.gif
I like it. I contemplated back and forth between 16/42 and 17/43. I made my decision based on the fact the 17 front is supposed to be easier on the chain and bike. It definitely carries the front wheel more under hard acceleration, and as I mentioned in past post, just seems to hit the rev limiter way to soon. Getting used to that, but the bike just accelerates so much quicker I'm at the rev limiter and needing to shift before it feels like I should.

Back