June Motorcyclist - full test of ZX12R

OB_Warp13Busa

Registered
The quick and dirty....they're dissapointed with it.

Poor fit and finish, crappy seat, vibration's an issue, worse handling than the Busa (despite shorter wheelbase and propaganda released), a little less hp (162, 1.5 less than the Busa), less torque (roughly 9 pounds shy and top speed was Top speed of 183. Oh yeah, it retails for $1400.00 more! What a bargain!

They're 100% convinced that the ZX12R is restricted from the factory and strangely enough, so may be the 2000 Busa regarding top speed! The 1999 Busa they tested dynoed around 154 hp. Their 2000 dynoed at 163 and showed a LOWER top speed than the 99 did. There's sidebar in the ZX12R test with regards to this stuff.

I can't remember any more, it was my girlfriends issue and she took it home!

The 2000 busa colors are heavier and therefor the bike is slower...............should have used the same colors................

Warp, the only thing that concerns me is "why does your girlfriend have the magazine?".......................go get it and post some more.................

From the zx12 mailing list:
---------------------------

Actually I did 3 runs 155.8, 156.3, 156.1 in that order. Bob

----- Original Message -----
To: ZX-12@egroups.com
Sent: Sunday, April 16, 2000 9:45 PM
Subject: [ZX-12] Hp #

I was able to get a Dyno run today as a baseline on my 12.
I have 812 miles and it went 156.3 corrected Hp. I have it completely stock with the oil to the full level, I will
install
the Muzzy Ti pipe and the 17t countershaft sprocket and if I can revisit the Dyno I will post the #s later in the
week. Bob

On Dragbike.com,Marty Kane posted that both,the,2000 Busa and ZX-12 are restricted from the factory but didn't offer more information.I would think he is privy to more information then the rest of us.

I'm curious; if a bike is putting out 163 rwhp, how can it be restricted? Or is there a pink wire that has to be cut to make it go flat out in top gear? ;-)

I put it inside the clear plastic cover of a tank bag.

It's a little low to see at extreme speeds. I don't have the balls to look down at my tank when going really fast. My eyes are glued ahead.

I'm way off the topic. Sorry 'bout that.

I wonder where TooBad and Fitch the 12 fanatics are now?

[This message has been edited by Lyle (edited 17 April 2000).]

Chris, you are the only known member of .org that has a 12 and you're pretty objective. Could you give us a comparison of the 12 and 13 in the 50mph to 150mph cruising range (twisties, sweepers, interstates). Thanks in advance.

Dolan hit it on the head. Easiest way to restrict a bike, and relatively expensive to properly un-restrict, is to just make the top two or three gear ratios short. That is probably your answer, right there.

But I don't give Motorcyclist a whole lot of respect for numbers at the moment. Remember what they got for the Busa's quarter-mile ET last year? 10.34 at 140...that's a joke. They whined about a grabby clutch, but I took mine to the strip once, bone stock, made three passes and got a 10.4, on a less-than ideal day. I'm a total novice and I weigh 180. I KNOW I can get in the nines on it, as is.

I would look over several magazine reviews, to get a true picture of it. You can filter out most of the bias, and incompetence, that way. Or you can just wait for C. Dolan's review, since he has one of each, and doesn't have any bias one way or the other.

Don, I have no idea how much info the ECU on the Busa receives from various sensors....rpm, road speed, throttle position, ?? but if it knows the bike's in top gear and along with rpm input, perhaps it's retarding the ignition? Hmm, wouldn't that show up on the dyno then? 5th gear pulling harder than 6th gear?? Maybe it's getting a reading from that sensor in the airbox for airpressure or ? Hell, I don't know! Pure speculation on my part, might as well use a Ouija board!

I wonder too, since the PC2 changes both mixture AND ignition settings if that would override any factory limiters.

Umm, guys, on my '00 Red (the faster color), all I did was install an Akro pipe and remapped with the Yosh box and the bike pulled redline in 6th, 210 on the speedo, 191 actual on the GPS.

Someone tell me how this is restricted!!

Mal

My 2000 Busa has a build date of Nov 99 when most of the 2K's were built. That is MONTHS BEFORE the companies had their infamous restriction meeting. There is no way the 2K Busa's are restricted.

My 00' was also built before[11/99] any talk of restrictions taking place on YEAR 2001 models so I'm sceptical but one thing I do know: Motorcyclist - 6/99 listed 156.1 hp for their Busa and not 154. It hasn't been very long since I received the May 00' (I subscribe) issue - can't believe the June is already available? Has anyone seen it at stores?

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 17 April 2000).]

To zx9rml: Re: GPS : You're getting mph readings using a Global Positoning Satellite ?

[This message has been edited by c.dolan (edited 17 April 2000).]

Chris Dolan.

I have a small Garmin handheld boat GPS that I put in the window of my tank bag. It's very accurate. It reads within .1 mph. I found that my speedo is 10mph low at 70mph indicated.

Thanks Mal

This restriction crap has gotten out of hand.
The 12 hasnt even reached 186mph in any test that ive heard so maybe its restricted to 180 or 181...no I heard 184...im sure its 189. My 2000 busa IS NOT restricted either.
Oh, but its red also.....I think they restricted the blue ones.

To sherm: Haven't had either bike to 150 mph, out in the world. Fastest I've gone is 135 to 139, in the quarter mile. ZX-12 feels a bit more nimble, in the tight stuff. Haven't had the chance to run ZX-12 in any fast sweepers, yet. Still doing "break-in ritual". Have been testing ZX-12 in 1/4 mi. Last Saturday, only ran up to 9 ~ 10,000 rpm. Will run up to full rpm in 1/4 mi. next month, pure stock, then, again with Muzzy. ..... ..Zx-12 a bit more comfortable for driver, and has less vibration than Busa. Busa more comfortable for passenger, according to my girlfriend.

Back