July motorcyclist issue: the king is dead

vinnycr2

Donating Member
Registered
I just received the July issue of Motor Cyclist.

On the cover is GET REAL! SUPERBIKES you can live with. 177-hp Kawasaki ZX-14 & 133-hp Yamaha FZ1.

No mention of the Hayabusa in the 9 page article.

As far as I'm concerned and I'm sure most here are also the Busa is as good a real world superbike as any.

On the following page after the article is another:
What about the Busa? The king is dead? Long live the king

Call it Hay Bus, Busa or GSX 1300R. Suzuki's Hayabusa has endured atop the big-inch GT food chain on the strength of a 1299cc four that has defined strong since 1999. Challengers have come and gone, but the 'Busa perseveres as something of an icon in Suzuki's streetbike lineup. Given the international gentlemen's agreement among motorcycle manufacturers that caps top speed at 300 kph (186mph), the factory still calls it the fastest motorcycle in the world, even if Kawasaki can claim the same thing. The question is, at least until its second generation successor shows up, how does the 'Busa stack up against Kawasaki's new ZX-14? Better than a seven-year old design should.

Regardless of what you think about its distinctive silhouette, the Hayabusa still gets stares in the parking lot, even if it looks a bit dated to us. Instrumentation, amenities and general mechanical presence are beginning to look a bit out of date as well. The riding position remains a bit too cramped for comfort on extended sport-touring sorties. But throttle response is flawless, delivering a smooth flow of power from idle all the way up to 9750 rpm and that full 162.6 horsepower head of steam. Aside from a patch of vibration between 4500 and 5000 rpm, it's smooth going in between. More importantly, the engine that has become motorcycle drag racing's answer to the 426 Hemi churns out 97.4 lb.-ft of torque at 7000 rpm, making most twisty roads a one-gear proposition. And, if you are going drag racing , there are about as many go-fast parts out there in catalog-land for this big four as there are for Chrysler's celebrated V-8.

There's not much to whine about in the chassis. The six pot Tokico calipers are nearly powerless until they warm up and a bit wooden after that. But armed with a brick house of a chassis and firmer stock springs than Kawasaki's biggest gun, the Busa is a more confident carver on most twisty roads. And though it looks shorter, the 'Busa's 58.5-inch wheelbase is a full inch longer than the 14's. At 563 pounds, the Suzuki weighs exactly the same. Since most of that extra bulk sits relatively high in the chassis, flinging the Suzuki from side to side takes more effort.

At $11,099, you can pick up an'06 Hayabusa for $400 less than the price of a new '14, but there are better deals to be had. Suzuki's web site lists the '04 'Busa the same motorcycle in different colors at $10,899, which tells us there are good deals out there. It's not quite as light or as quick as the new king of quick, but if you actually ride the bike instead of obsessing on the spec sheet, it's clear there's more than enough life in this bird to keep things interesting until a new 'Busa shows up.

Read that article the other day. Basically, they are just saying it's still an amzing bike for a 7 year old design and that it's incredible how it can still compete with today's 2006 models.

I like that article! Sounds a lot like some of the things that are said here!

As it was pointed out before...it's an 8 year design.

99 - 1
00 - 2
01 - 3
02 - 4
03 - 5
04 - 6
05 - 7
06 - 8

which makes it even more incredible, darn near a whole decace atop the mountain with very little changes attest to the strength of design.

I had a choice to buy anything out there, and the Busa still got my money. One month and 1400 miles later, I'm still happy as a pig in...

I see it since they coming out from the factory...before they hit the street, they were saying clearly, world fastest...now, I don't hear it anymore...why?
rock.gif

First bike (of any kind) for me.  I bought it because of the great price of $10,119 OTD and the looks.  I fell in love with it's character.  I fell in love for the great ride on this bird of mine.  I don't care what the mag/rags print, next month there could be a new "king" crowned.  But as the mag pointed out, I'm not the type to sit around comparing spec sheets.  That's just for the "in" crowd that sits about all day long bragging about this and that, their latest chrome-out, bling venture, but usually have chicken strips almost the width of the entire tire.  And their poor bike usually only see the "light of day" when they take it out to go to the next "bike night" spot so they can pose.

But if you want to talk aesthetics.  I seen the Kawi 14 in personal at CalCoast Motorsports in person, straddled it... Not impressed.  It may have the brute of the 1400cc, but lacks the visual appear and grace of the busa.  Not even close.  From the tank back to the tail light, no even a semblence to any kind of a sports bike or even a sport touring.  Visually, only from the tip of its nose to about the tank section is okay... a acquire taste.

And I'm not just "hating".  Take any non-bike person that don't know squat about bikes and have him/her choose between the busa and the Kawi 14 just by looking at the 2 side-by-side, and i'm sure, most if not all, of the time, the busa would be picked.  That's if you're into pleasing the crowd and care what others think about you.

<!--EDIT|eynlai
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150437097 -->

99 - 1
00 - 2
01 - 3
02 - 4
03 - 5
04 - 6
05 - 7
06 - 8

which makes it even more incredible, darn near a whole decace atop the mountain with very little changes attest to the strength of design.
... in fact it's not an 8 year design , because , it is not designed at 1999 , the busa project started in 1997's spring . So we can call it 10 year design .

A KING never dies, he just retires quietly, with great honor, respect and admiration, living out the rest of thier glorious lives in their kingdom amid splendor and riches

99 - 1
00 - 2
01 - 3
02 - 4
03 - 5
04 - 6
05 - 7
06 - 8

Actually it's a ten year old design
wow.gif
, and an 8 year production run bike. Because it takes two years to go from the GO to Production. Now, that really makes it one unbelievable bike  
tounge.gif

Amazing, think about it. The Busa unchanged for 8 years, that's unheard of in the motorcycle world. But take any smaller GSXR and compare with the newer models, there totally different.
I like the Busa, i do, but i wish Suzuki would atleast throw some more tech at her. You know, small stuff.... Radial brakes, lighter wheels. Small stuff.

<!--EDIT|GMbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150466897 -->

I love my BUSA. I do not care what the critics say about her. And that's all I have to say about that!
beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|tpbio
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150472448 -->

I'd just like to know why the busa was not considered a real world sport bike by Motor Cyclist especially when they included the FZ1.

I'm not knocking the FZ1, but it can't hold a candle to the Busa. It has limited wind protection and a lot less power.

Motorcyclist used to do a complete sport bike comparison with all the major manufactures biggest down to the 600's. One issue would be the 1,000 cc and higher another the 750 class and another the 600 class.

I haven't been subscribed to Motorcyclist since I sold my GS 1150ES a little over 10 years ago then subscribed when I bought my Busa last June.

I hope they still do the same comparisons as I remember them.

When and if a second generation Busa hits the showrooms, if I have the money I will most definitely grab one.

If not I would still be happy for what ever years to come with my 2000 red and grey bird of prey until the money came along for an upgrade!

I'd just like to know why the busa was not considered a real world sport bike by Motor Cyclist especially when they included the FZ1.

I'm not knocking the FZ1, but it can't hold a candle to the Busa. It has limited wind protection and a lot less power.

Motorcyclist used to do a complete sport bike comparison with all the major manufactures biggest down to the 600's. One issue would be the 1,000 cc and higher another the 750 class and another the 600 class.

I haven't been subscribed to Motorcyclist since I sold my GS 1150ES a little over 10 years ago then subscribed when I bought my Busa last June.

I hope they still do the same comparisons as I remember them.

When and if a second generation Busa hits the showrooms, if I have the money I will most definitely grab one.

If not I would still be happy for what ever years to come with my 2000 red and grey bird of prey until the money came along for an upgrade!
Got any pics of your GS1150ES? I just sold mine last December (after 20 years) after I bought the Busa.

But Back on topic. I used to be a long time subscriber to every major US motorcycle magazine. I have about 30 years worth of Bike magazines in the Garage in Rubbermaid containers. Motorcyclist was my Favorite back in the days. But they seem to have gotten watered down over the years. I quit subscribing because of it. I pick one up now and then but thats it.

Amazing, think about it. The Busa unchanged for 8 years, that's unheard of in the motorcycle world. But take any smaller GSXR and compare with the newer models, there totally different.
I like the Busa, i do, but i wish Suzuki would atleast throw some more tech at her. You know, small stuff.... Radial brakes, lighter wheels. Small stuff.
Not unheard of ....... Vmax 20 years and no changes !!!!

Back