Joining USAF

that's cool. she'll love it.
currently working on my 22 year in the AF.
I can tell you that air traffic controller is one of the hardest tech schools to get thru, but man she's set once she makes it thru. Go with her to the recruiter. They do make it sound better than what it is, but that's they're job.

basic is or is getting ready to go to 8 1/2 weeks. She'll be in San Antonio TX. They mold em into living the military way. It's alot different know than when I went thru. They have time out cards :laugh: If your getting yelled at and you can't take it you thru up your card :rofl:

Some post are correct. If she made the ASFAB and scored high enough to be a air traffic controller then she should be fine.

Also pass on to her to start a TSP as soon as she walks in the door. It's like, but not as good, as a 401K. I regret not starting mine sooner. If you have any other specific questions hit me up brudda

Last edited:
I've been in the AF for 8yrs, I have worked in classification/assignments for Officers and Enlisted at HQ. I have traveled, seen alot of good and bad. I did get to cash some frequent flyer miles when they sent me to Iraq for 7 months. PM me if you want the proper info for your daughter...

The nice thing is that once she signs the papers, swears in and all that...there is no turning back. (it can also be a downside) BUT, in the interest of college this is a good thing. The GI Bill has gone through some MAJOR changes over the last year. Now, not only do they pay tuition, but they also pay housing and for books. (We are looking at getting almost $1300 a month just for housing from Jeff's GI Bill when he returns to school in the fall) So, if she does go military, then her college will be paid for. Not to mention, depending on what state you are living in, the state is also willing to give you college for free if you served in the armed forces. Not to mention all the college courses you can take in the military that are free and all the hands on training you get.

Let us know what she decides to do...

ick.jpg

DME Arcs...loved to fly them. Don't get to do that anymore.

To o.p., has she looked into civilian training for that career? That might be an option as well.

The nice thing is that once she signs the papers, swears in and all that...there is no turning back. (it can also be a downside) BUT, in the interest of college this is a good thing. The GI Bill has gone through some MAJOR changes over the last year. Now, not only do they pay tuition, but they also pay housing and for books. (We are looking at getting almost $1300 a month just for housing from Jeff's GI Bill when he returns to school in the fall) So, if she does go military, then her college will be paid for. Not to mention, depending on what state you are living in, the state is also willing to give you college for free if you served in the armed forces. Not to mention all the college courses you can take in the military that are free and all the hands on training you get.

Let us know what she decides to do...

There was a rumor going around that said if you decide to leave the service before six months active duty you can get out relatively easily on something like a "failure to adjust" administrative discharge.

Also regarding free college, I was told that you had to have been a resident of the state when you enlisted to qualify for the program.

Now, thinking of the GI bill, I better hurry up and use it before it expires.

Hey Robert, a friend of mine is AF Reserves and a Senior Master Chief, if you need her to talk to your daughter or check on aything let meknow I am only a phone call away.:thumbsup:

There was a rumor going around that said if you decide to leave the service before six months active duty you can get out relatively easily on something like a "failure to adjust" administrative discharge.

Also regarding free college, I was told that you had to have been a resident of the state when you enlisted to qualify for the program.

Now, thinking of the GI bill, I better hurry up and use it before it expires.

The state thing I am not sure of. I think it is a combo of being a resident or having served on a base in that state. Then again, Texas was (at one point) doing it for anyone.

And, the 6 months thing was true in the air force. I am not sure if it still is. However, I think you lose any and all benefits if you choose to go that route. My friend did it. Quite literally gave 2 weeks notice.

Yeah, use your GI Bill. Did you serve after 9/11?

Would you ask her to call my daughter and talk her into recruiting as well?

Talked to her tonight and she has read this thread and thanks everyone for their input. :thumbsup:

Back