Joining USAF

dadofthree

Seasoned Beef
Donating Member
Registered
Please PM me your thoughts. My daughter called tonight and told me she's thinking about joining the USAF to become an Air Traffic Controller.

I'd like to know from those with experience and knowledge what she has to look forward to and if there is such a thing as a guarantee about a position like that.

I've never even thought of the military, so I don't know a darn thing about recruiters and the lies to get you to sign, etc. I understand they have a number they're expected to meet and they probably don't care how they do it.

A little bit, not much about my baby: she is somewhat immature for her age and would tend to tear up if someone yelled at her. That's not a fault, she's a very beautiful young lady that anyone would want for a friend and probably has a lot to do with her being my baby. I didn't raise her to be my little boy.

Many falsehoods are extended in order for recruiters to meet recruitment goals.

That said, I think USAF would be better than any of the other services, save for, possibly, the USCG.

If any promises are made to her, I recommend she get it in writing...even then, she's Government property after her swearing in, so she should be prepared for some delays and disappointments.

You can be assured that at basic training (boot camp), she's bound to be yelled at.

I served in the Navy for 6 years and wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

Good luck, bro.

Please PM me your thoughts. My daughter called tonight and told me she's thinking about joining the USAF to become an Air Traffic Controller.

I'd like to know from those with experience and knowledge what she has to look forward to and if there is such a thing as a guarantee about a position like that.

I've never even thought of the military, so I don't know a darn thing about recruiters and the lies to get you to sign, etc. I understand they have a number they're expected to meet and they probably don't care how they do it.

A little bit, not much about my baby: she is somewhat immature for her age and would tend to tear up if someone yelled at her. That's not a fault, she's a very beautiful young lady that anyone would want for a friend and probably has a lot to do with her being my baby. I didn't raise her to be my little boy.

Hey Dude,

Contact charlesbusa...he was in the Army and is currently a ATC :thumbsup:

I'm not a military professional, but I hear that the Air Force tends to be known for being less strenuous as far as basic training out of the four branches.(Not to offend any Air Force folks):whistle:
Tell her to try the Air Force reserves.

I served USAF in the 90's. Yes the position is guaranteed provided her ASVAB scores are high enough to meet the criteria required for the position. At the MEPS she will sign her enlistment docs and on those the AFSC (Air Force Speciality Code - other services call it the MOS) must be there for Air Traffic Control - whatever it is....I think it's 1C1x1 - the x being the skill level which you start at a 1, then 3, 5 , 7 and 9 being master. 1 is apprentice. That's not to say though that she'll be in the tower anytime soon directing traffic. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes If you have any other questions feel free to pm, email or post in here. Happy to help and yes the AF is by far one of the best branches to serve in!

Found this...
1C1X1 - AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL

If her recruiter hasn't already shown her something similar to this.....tell her to find another recruiter. I changed my recruiters mid-stream due to lack of trust. My 2nd one was a totally up front guy and didn't sugar coat anything! He even put me in contact with other active duty members that were serving in the field I wanted to get in so I could learn more. Tell her to have a recruiter who can take her to Shaw AFB since you're in S Carolina and talk with current serving ATC's. If the recruiter says he can't, like I said before....find another recruiter!

Last edited:
No offense to any Air Force folks here, but from what I understand, the hardest part about getting into the Air Force is getting in. It takes some serious brains to do so (when compared to the rest of the branches). There would be some yelling and some tears at boot, but I promise, she would survive. And, it might make her grow up a little bit. I know it made Jefferycarman grow up. (Well, he went Navy) Also, know that the military has a "no touching" policy, which means no more hard core, no sleep, hitting sort of deal. They are very nice. In fact, when Jeff's brother went through (again, Navy), he was given a set of different colour cards. If he was having a rough day, all he had to do was display whatever colour card meant that, and the instructors left him alone.

As for the job thing, if she gets it in writing (and get the score needed on ASVAB) she should be okay. The controller thing is actually a nice job, but it is also a hard job. My friend's son just got back from doing that overseas. Long hours...

I know it says to PM...but I saw everyone else posting in the thread. :-)

PS - I have never been in the military myself. Just married to it. And have many friends in it. I thought about going into the military my senior year and did a ton of researching. (that was 2002, they have even leaned up more since then) However, my now husband (then boyfriend) informed me that if I signed the papers, I would have 320 sailors' feet up my bum...the ship wasn't about to let me sign up.

They will put it in writing, I had my AFSC guaranteed, no one ever lied to me or stretched the truth. It was a great experience 4 years active duty. I would never trade the great times and friends.

I would be proud of her. I don't know her and I am proud of her. Serving our country is a honorable undertaking..:bowdown:
There are many opportunities for her and the training is the best in the world.
No worries Dad.

Last edited:
Of all the services, she's less likely to get shot at in the AF. What a great way to pick up a great civilian career. It could do more for her as a young adult than you can as her dad - she's gotta spread her wings sooner or later. I never regretted my 25 years in the Army.

I served USAF in the 90's. Yes the position is guaranteed provided her ASVAB scores are high enough to meet the criteria required for the position. At the MEPS she will sign her enlistment docs and on those the AFSC (Air Force Speciality Code - other services call it the MOS) must be there for Air Traffic Control - whatever it is....I think it's 1C1x1 - the x being the skill level which you start at a 1, then 3, 5 , 7 and 9 being master. 1 is apprentice. That's not to say though that she'll be in the tower anytime soon directing traffic. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes If you have any other questions feel free to pm, email or post in here. Happy to help and yes the AF is by far one of the best branches to serve in!

Found this...
1C1X1 - AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL

If her recruiter hasn't already shown her something similar to this.....tell her to find another recruiter. I changed my recruiters mid-stream due to lack of trust. My 2nd one was a totally up front guy and didn't sugar coat anything! He even put me in contact with other active duty members that were serving in the field I wanted to get in so I could learn more. Tell her to have a recruiter who can take her to Shaw AFB since you're in S Carolina and talk with current serving ATC's. If the recruiter says he can't, like I said before....find another recruiter!
What he said and others stated.

Make sure everything she is "guaranteed" by the recruiter is in writing. Also, if at all possible, have a sit down with the recruiter and her there. Look over everything and ask as many questions as you can come up with. If you are not familiar with the military have them explain how stationing is done, how boot camp goes and anything else you don't know much about.

Watch the first half of full metal jacket :whistle:

Be thorough. To them she is just a number. Something they need to meet a goal. She needs to be proactive and aggressive.

There is also ASVAB study guides. Get one. They will help her score higher on the test and ensure a better shot at doing what she wants. The ASVAB was unlike any other test I have taken. It's different.

If she is serious, physical fitness. Boot camp is not hard. BUT - it can be if you are out of shape, not used to running, or just lazy. If this is something she really wants to do she needs to look at the physical requirements for running, push ups, pull up or whatever the AF uses to do their measurements.

If you want to hear me ramble on let me know :poke:

I did 8 years in the Navy. It was a great experience, but the military is not for everyone. Starting off right is a key to success in the military. Go in educated.

Definitely a stressful career, but one that crosses over to the civilian sector nicely. I did 4 years in the Air Force in the early 90's. Like was said before the job can be guaranteed in writing as long as she qualifies. In fact that in my opinion is the only way to enlist, so you know exactly what position you'll be in.

Recruiters can be like car salesmen :laugh: saying whatever it takes. Mine said that i would get stationed for sure in the southeast......most likely Florida for my 1st duty station. :rofl: Well that turned into the cold midwest. But heh.......what are you going to do.

I learned alot about life and myself in those 4 years and met some great people. Best of luck to her.

They will put it in writing, I had my AFSC guaranteed, no one ever lied to me or stretched the truth. It was a great experience 4 years active duty. I would never trade the great times and friends.

I would be proud of her. I don't know her and I am proud of her. Serving our country is a honorable undertaking..:bowdown:
There are many opportunities for her and the training is the best in the world.
No worries Dad.

She has had it rough the last three years, and my problem is I raised my kids to go to college, promised I would pay the way, their job was school, mine was paying. If she does this it will cost her scholarships that will not be available if the AF doesn't work out. Yes I worry, but I told her it was her choice.

I was in for 6 years and met alot of people. A few ATC people as well. When they got out they had to go through almost 2 years of investigations/other stuff before they could get FAA approval to work. Then almost 2 more years of training at the airport that picked them up. Once all that was done they were making Bank.

Having said that. ATC Is a VERY STRESSFULL job. Im not going to throw statistics out on that one. I just got out of the AF in 07 and i do miss it. I did well it just wasn't for me anymore. If she has a very strong personality and has problems keeping her mouth shut when someone higher ranking then her says something stupid, she might have some problems. OH..tell her to go Overseas. Its a hell of alot more fun. Germany, Italy, etc. Alot of people try to get as close to home as possible, but you miss out on so much the AF has to offer.

I did 4 from 75-79 with USNMCB5. Make sure she gets it in writing! And tell her I am proud of her for wanting to serve her country! The plussss side is ATCs make the big bucks on the outside!
GO GIRL!
Steve:thumbsup:

I did 20+years in the AF as an Air Traffic Controller. When I retired from my last base, I got hired right back as a DOD civilian. I can tell you you need to have the aptitude to do the job, if you are stressful and/or hard headed, you'll never make it through the training. Depending on which base you get, training can be more than 2 years. The wash out rate is huge, more than 60% at where I work, but its one of the busier bases.

AF basic training is cake walk for these kids coming in today, no sweat there. IF they get through the ATC training, life is real sweet for them after that. ATC has one of the largest re-enlistment bonus around. Kids here are maxing out at 70k for a six year re-enlistment. 1/2 up front then the rest annually. If they re-enlist in the desert, a large chunk of that is tax free.

So to break it down...

Pro's
Easy basic training, a very usable high paying job after separating, huge bonus money, see the world, free college, a rewarding job (once you make it) I still love doing it after 20 years! ( i could have done it for the FAA but opted to stay w/ the military..long story)

Cons
Trying to explain to people that controllers do not only work in the tower, thats actually a smaller percentage of them, Training is long and stressful for many, life pretty much sucks till you complete your apprentice training, high wash out rate, you will deploy.

I can babble on all night cuz its my life, so if want to know anything else, just holla!

ick.jpg

atc.jpg

Last edited:
if i were to join i would join the air force. atc is a good paying job that should always be in demand. i've been told it is one of the most stressful and is among the leading occupations for suicide and alcoholism. but so are healthcare professions and leo's. if i did want a guaranteed job prior to joining i would make sure it was in writing. they will tell her to just join and get thru basic and then they will get her the job she wants but that is a risk i personally wouldnt take. if she did well enough on her asvab she should get it
good luck to both of you

Heck yeah... If you want yer kid to have the best facilities, best treatment, best schools? Air Force Hooah!

Seriously ATC if she can cut it is a great job. Besides, our Airbases world wide are positively ringed with Army Rangers, Phalanx Anti Ballistics, Air Force SFs, regular Army, etc... Air Base is a GOOD place to be and the Air Force really does treat the enlisted well. Good living conditions, and practical day to day expectations and treatment. :thumbsup:

8 years USAF from 94-02. Had a great time. Now that I've been away for a few years I really do see what everybody was saying about the AirForce chics being the hottest in the services.. So she'll fit right in! :laugh: Basic training is not going to be a picnic but it will not be impossible.

It's already been covered but she needs to get the career contract in writing. I knew a girl that enlisted on the verbal promise that she'd "end up somewhere in medical" but ended up somewhere being a "cook" even after I begged her to get a contract from the recruiter.

If she qualifies for ATC she still has to buckle down and study. If she does wash out, she'll be relegated to taking a career that is offered for training on the base she started ATC school at.

Oh and please, please, please tell her not to do something stupid like have a tech school wedding. People fall in love hard in Tech School because they only have each other to de-stress with and end up getting married only to divorce a couple years later when things are chill in their lives.

Back