Join AMA?

BusaFan00

Registered
So I just got a "Join AMA!" Card in the mail today.  Just wondering if there are a lot of members on here and if the benefits are really all they say.  Aside from the American Motorcyclist magazine, AMA bandanna, the AMA pin, members-only access to the website and "freedom rider patch" are the benefits all that great?  

Like the discounts to motorcycle dealers, parts dealers and hotels.  Plus the 10% insurance discount with Nationwide.  Oh and the Motow program.  Anybody used this stuff?  Is it worth the $39 bucks?  Poor college students everywhere need to know!

I think so - we've been members since we passed the MSF course - I think the ins discount alone pays for it each year. Can't advise regarding the starving student angle - I didn't make it to a higher learnin' place!

AMA member here and YES its worth it...
Somethings you might not be aware of that the AMA supported!
1. Prevented insurance companies from excluding US from there policies, based on our choice to ride.
2. Helped influence and prevent the banning of hyper style bikes
3. Constantly watching to make sure OUR riding rights aren't infringed on daily, state by state.
4. To many to list.....

MOTOW is fantastic! Flawless program that has bailed my wife and I out of a jam on a Sunday when we needed a tow. They even cover your auto's, trailer, and bikes in the same policy.

Depends. I like magazines, so you might think of it as a magazine subscription. The MoTow program is well worth it. Last time I got towed (flatbed, non-pluggable flat cost ~$300 with new tire at dealer), would have paid for itself. All the extraneous stuff, the pin, patch, not my thing. The 10% insurance thing is kind of dumb since insurance varies so widely for the Hayabusa (I was quote $2000-$500 for same exact policy), the discount stuff I think is also kind of a mute point. Any hotel, just say you have AAA. I book at least 200 rooms a year, and not a single hotel has asked to see the card. If $39 is a lot of money to you as a poor college student, might approach it from the philosphical debate (a never ending one on forum threads).

Been an AMA member for a year. I don't really care about the discounts at hotels and stuff because half the time I can't remember to ask anyways. To me it is worth it because the AMA is constantly fighting for our right to ride. The magazine you get every couple months highlights all the different proposed restrictions that are always being proposed to infringe on motorcycles, both street and dirt. To me, it is worth it just to help fight for our right. I have AAA plus which covers motorcycles and travel trailers plus cars. Therefore, I can't comment on the MOTOW> Some insurance companies do give you a discount for being a AAA member. My last company gave me a discount for being a member that was double what it cost me for a year membership. It was worth that alone.

Or like the new Hurt report that they finally got the gov to co-sponsor then raised the rest of the funds so that it's now taking place. Kinda like the NRA, the best benefits that they give you are the ones unseen.

Back