Job help

GSXRFANN

FLUNKIE
Donating Member
Registered
Okay guys, I DID end up losing my job. I fought tooth and nail to keep it, but after 18yrs of loyal service, they decided to lay me off any way. Now I don't know what I am gonna do. I have a wife and 3 kids, along with the normal family bills. I am scared.
If any of you guys have any contacts around here (Winston Salem NC), or even Greensboro, Kernersville, or High Point please help me out!!!

here is a copy of my resume:

Brian Horn
3945 Elkton Trail
Winston-Salem, NC 27107
Home: (336) 769-4706
Cell: (336) 409-8877
gsxrfan@bellsouth.net

 Extremely reliable, independent and team player, with strong interpersonal skill
 Motivated with strong work ethic
 Strong oral and written communication skills
 Strong understanding of various HVAC equipment and the importance of PM’s, keeping equipment safe and operating smoothly, as well as repairing equipment under emergency situations

Professional Experience
HVAC Technician – Novant Health (Forsyth Medical Center), Winston-Salem, NC 1991 – 2009
o Applied business, regulatory, and operational knowledge to improve functionality, safety, and JACHO compliance of equipment and documentation.
o Utilized experience to improve the quality and reliability of equipment.
o Created and maintained PM’s for equipment.
o Followed JACHO regulations.
o Helped setup and maintain our building automation system.
o Was the building automation system administrator.
o Ordered parts and supplies of most common parts so they would be on hand when needed.
o Refrigerant recovery certification.

Technical Skills
Siemens Apogee building automation system knowledge.
Troubleshooting of equipment.
Computer knowledge.
Shop and hand tool safety and operation knowledge.

Professional Training
Familiar with air handler operation.
Pump and motor troubleshooting..
Steam trap knowledge.
Boiler operation and safety.

Education
High School Diploma – 1984 to 1991 – RJReynolds High School Winston Salem NC

References
Available upon request

Last edited:
prayers sent that you find something soon, hopefully with summer coming up, your skillset will be in demand

No Offense, but Get Your Resume done by a Professional. :whistle:

When One Door Closes another One Opens !!!!!!!

Good Luck and Hang in there :please:

Very far away from you, other side of the US in CA and also 8,000 miles SW of you most of the time these days, otherwise I could have helped you right away.

If you need help with your resume' PM me, suggest a few small enhancements, happy to help.

In case you wonder, I have a house in AR, but only spend about 5 weeks there in the year.

Use these sites and learn how navigate within them,their free, the world will see your resume. I have and I am at the moment,they work. I can see that after 18 yrs, you might not know how to act job hunting, the INTERNET is the best invention ever and it's your friend, use it.

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/

Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.com

craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums

CareerBuilder.com Jobs - The Largest Job Search, Employment & Careers Site

Hang in there brotha...was layed off myself back in November and believe me its tuff...I have had a few interviews and even landed one job but was denied my clearance for the government...hoping something breaks for me soon...keep you in my prayers and keep faith my friend...as grim as it looks believe that things will turn around soon enough

as far as job boards also check out "indeed.com"

Sorry about that bro. Will pray for you. Keep your head up and trust in God. He is the original supplier anyways.

Check your resume. I don't understand the 1984 - 1991 dates. Good luck to you, I think you'll land a job soon. :thumbsup:

It seems you have one of the more recession-proof skills out there.

Raleigh seems to be growing reasonably well. It seems there should be some opportunity there for you without needing to relocate across the continent.

I wish I could offer more. Best wishes!

Sry to hear about that. It is very tuff been laid off for 7 months my self I don't have the kid factor but it's still tuff. I'm sure you have unemployment how much is that I get about 450 a week in CT with no kids. Does your wife work? If not she may be able to find a job I know I wouldn't be able to do it without my wife. The wife's are the bread winners in like 85% of americans right now. Just cas most cunstrution jobs are down and out right now. I'm an electrition and there's work out there but it's just takeing some time to get these jobs rolling. Good luck and hang in there.???

Check discount stores like Goodwill, Christian Community Action, Big Lots, etc. They usually have resume programs that are CHEAP and can give you a very professionally written resume in minutes.

Is starting your own HVAC repair/installation/maintenance business an option?

Also, check out some of the college programs for small businesses. I like Bryan's (F=MA) idea. There is a lot of SBA money for people who want to start their own businesses, just be careful about your debt ratios. The medical construction industry is going apey and with some business admin education you could easliy move into some of these areas as a sub-contractor.

I've also read somewhere about how much more important we are than birds or grass to Someone who actually speaks things into existence, only now, I think He uses all these other caring, tenderhearted compassionate people to do such! Be flexible, my friend. You never know how these prayers can be answered, but they will be answered!

Thanks guys for all of the support. I am just really, really depressed. I am scared to death. I HAVE to provide for my family. I am just sick about this whole situation. I know I am blessed to have my health and family, it is just hard to understand why this happened. I have put in about 30 applications this weekend alone. I had also put in like 15 on friday alone. I don't know what we are going to do. My wife started a new job last monday, but she had to take about an $8500 a year cut in salary, so that was going to hurt us anyway. Now this! I get sick on my stomach every time that I realize I CAN"T go to work tomorrow. I don't know if I even qualify for un-employment yet.
I kept praying and I do mean praying that I would be able to keep my job, but I guess the Lord saw it differently. I still have a meeting with the 2 of the vice presidents of the organization to plead my case, but to be honest I think I have already been tried and convicted, so my chances are very slim to say the least.
Our insurance won't even start for 30 days, so if one of us gets sick we are in trouble. Plus my wife's insurance really sucks, but I guess it is better than no insurance at all.
If any of you guys have ANY leads, I would be very thankfull. I just don't know what to do.

Sorry for the rant.

Keep the chin up brother. Been there done that and it is tough. Something will come your way. If nothing else take your skills and work on the side for cash until you land something.

Best of luck.

Back