Jeep Wrangler

busabutter

Registered
Been thinking about getting a jeep wrangler. Don't know much about them other than the one I test rode with 33inch tires rode like crap. I have ridden in other trucks with lifts and big tires but this one was awefull. Went all over the place when you hit a bump. Is this normal on these? Or does the one I'm looking at have problems? I am going to look at another one tomorrow with an automatic transmission. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sounds like bump steer. It happens when you lift a vehicle and don't correct the geometry of the steering. As for a smooth ride, good luck. A short wheel base and a lift will never ride very smooth.
beerchug.gif

Stock 1999 Wrangler, no steering problems but rides like a log cart and way too much wind noise. Although with the noise you can't hear your woman bitchin'

I had a 92 wrangler and loved it best 4x4 I ever owned great in the snow and mud. The only problem was it was cold inside in the wither and wind noise from the soft top I left it all stock and it rode a little ruff but like said above shot wheelbase. My girlfriend is getting a 4 door wrangler soon.

I had a '95 Wrangler. Rode very stiff.You could run over a quarter and tell the date that was on it.

No mechanical problems the 2 years I had it.

well i'm on my 7th Wrangler since the early 80s. and with the exception of the lemon law '05 i had they have been great. the 1 that was sublect to the Lemon Law the oil pump broke inside the engine and it seised up at literally 1800 miles. they changed the engine 2X and it just never seemed right. they replaced it for me with an '06.

Now, All of mine have been standard trans, i just like to shift. so i can't answer anything on the auto trans part.

Also, remeber if your buying a new 1 that it's a 100% new engine. The reason Chrys;er changer from the inline 6 to the V6 was because they couldn't get it to pass '08 emisions standards with the I6 (according to a friend of mine that works for them, he's a service manager at a jeep dealer) also he had said considering it's a new engine and desigh that they have had next to no issues "So far" with the new jeeps.

Hope this helps.

Go with the unlimited is you want a better ride, the longer wheel base helps alot.

Here is a pic of my '06 Unlimited Rubican

STEVEN_003a.jpg

I had a 94 and loved it... It was loud, cold, noisy and bumpy as all hell...

But it is like a tinker toy... you can take off the doors the roof. I would take the drain plugs out and hose it down... It went anywhere in the snow , mud , sand and gravel...

I would get one for a toy now but not a real everyday ride...
E

I owned (well, my wife owned) a Heep Dangler!

Depending on where you are, you need to look at options. We had to get a hard top as it always rained. Gas mileage sucks. You need two people to take off the hard top. Bikini top was cool. Jeep was cool. Only ran 31s, no problems.

Fun to ride with only the bikini top, but then you need to get a detachable face-plate stereo and alarm. Plus get ready for spend for a few extras...

Wife is talking about getting another one. They are not practical vehicles for everyday riding, but neither is my Busa
tounge.gif

I've owned 4 jeeps, 2 of them being wranglers. Currently I have a 2004 Unlimited. It is worth every penny to get the longer wheelbase. Jeeps ride like crap, but they are tons of fun to own. They also get horrible fuel mileage, but the GF only drives it 100 miles per week.
I lifted this one myself and it rides good still because of the wheelbase.
On a side note, I HATE the 4 door wranglers and would never be caught dead in one!

BADASSJEEP_2.JPG

I too have owned a few; 4 to be exact. I started out with a 79 CJ7, bought a 94 4 cylinder Wrongler, then a 95 6 cylinder and finally a 97 TJ.

Yes, they all road like crap (all were lifted with 33" tires), but that is part of their appeal. It's a JEEP! Just Empty Every Pocket!

Surprisingly, I loved the 79 the most. Of course, part of that is because it was a "Golden Eagle" package (more rare than some) and I did alot of work to it myself, even replacing the engine with a Chevy 350.

I had a 95 wrangler. I sold it a few months back to buy other toys (busa included). I absolutely loved it.

It sounds like bump steer, but I don't see any mention of a lift. Stock I didn't have that problem. In the end, I had hydro steering and bump steer was non existent.

Heres a little pic.

DSC00017.jpg

Here is my Jeep......WAS my Jeep. I sold it about 3 months ago. I couldn't stand the fuel mileage. I will admit that I miss it a tiny bit.

Bumpy, expensive, and slow------------ but tons of fun to drive........

I will never own another one unless its not my primary transportation.

Jeep_2007.jpg

i loved my 97 TJ. of course that thing was built and runnin 35's. as far as the short wheelbase wranglers go, in order to get a semi-smooth ride after lifting you would want to go with a long arm lift. expensive but well worth it especiall if ya ever planned on wheeling it. also remember that if ya plan to run bigger tires u need to re-gear the axles. i ran 5.13's with arb air lockers.

here are a few pics of my old jeep..

<center>
JEEP6.jpg

hill1.jpg

JEEP2.jpg

JEEP1.jpg

</center>

All depends on what Jeep "Wrangler" U get .....the CJ, Yj , TJ , X , Rubicon etc etc. Each has it's own weakness , some have more than others. Big tires and lift equal a crap ride...bump steer as it is called, is fixable , to a point . But it will cost you.

As others have mentioned, if you want a Caddy ride , stick with a long wheel base truck .
wink.gif

My old 79 CJ ....35 " Swampers and 9" lift.
2005vacations116.jpg

bottom line is this....... if ur looking for a "caddy" like ride....... dont even consider the wrangler!!!! you can upgrade the suspension and things like that easily with the wranglers but it is gonna cost ya some big big dollars to get a decent ride out of it....

It's a jeep, they ride like a jeep not a car.  Like buting a Busa and wondering why it doesn't ride like a harley.

Mine is a '99 TJ with 36's and 5" of lift - runs straight, true and smooth as a Jeep.  And just like a Busa I have about $20K in the supension and drivetrain parts.  I have an obsession with money pits.

Wouldn't trade it for anything.

DSCN2574.jpg

DSCN6036.jpg

May I ask you guys. why lift it? with solid axles you don`t get more clearance? Is there a purpose for it or just pure bad azz looks?

Back