Jeep experts, starting problems

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Got an '89 jeep cherokee, haven't really had starting problems.

Been sitting for a little while.

Started it the other day and and it fired right up, let it run for about 5 min.
shut her off and wouldn't start again for nothing.

Came back the next day, wouldn't start for about 5 minutes worth of trying,
cussing away I gave it one last try, fired up great. Drove her about 30 min.,
she runs good :thumbsup: shut her off to park her...wouldn't start again :banghead:
what the....

crankshaft gear sensor maybe...???

any other ideas...

Oh by the way on day two (the 5 minutes of trying) I even used starting fluid...nothing.

She turns over but wont start RELIABLY. I'm looking to sell her but I can't sell
it like this...

Last edited:
What does it do when it wont start? Clicking, dim lights?

Spinning starter no fire?

What does it do when it wont start? Clicking, dim lights?

Spinning starter no fire?

Starter turns the motor, just wont fire up....5 minutes later, fires like a champ.

Drive it for 30 minutes, runs great...wont start again immediately after shut off ???

On my CJ7 it was the carb. Varnish in the bowl and clogged jets. I could get her to run, but god help you if you shut it off. Got a kit and spent an evening rebuilding her...purred like a kitten.

My Camaro did the exact same thing, it was the crank sensor. Start sometimes, not others, no rhyme or reason to it. Hope that helps some

Its a chrysler product...more than likely a crank sensor. Check for spark when its a no-start and if you can put a test light in one of the injector connectors. No spark and no pulse at the injector is typically a crank sensor.
Posted via Mobile Device

check and make sure you have spark coming from the ignition coil if the vehicle has been sitting and the coil is old it might not be working as for crysler product I have never had a bad crank sensor and have owned 5 different crysler products over the last 12 years and still own 3 of them like i said check you ignition coil see if it looks bloated or swollen if it does I would check there for spark coming out when it wont fire and if you dont have spark check to make sure it is getting power

How long did it sit for?
How old is the fuel in it?

What motor does it have in it?

Depending on how long it has sat for, the first thing I would change would be the fuel filter.

Check for spark at the coil and each of the spark plugs. (This will not cost nothing but time).

If the crank sensor was bad, I would think it would run rough?

If it is fuel injected, check the voltage at all the injectors and make sure it is close.

If you were using "starting fluid" sound like it is not getting spark at all.

Is the "Check engine light" on?

Keep us posted.

I agree it's in the crank sensor.
But Jeep did have some crank sensors that were not slotted and the distance between the sensor and the flywheel can be too much and cause the same issues you're having. If yours is slotted then it's been updated already. You can try to loosen it and push it all the way against the lip of the bellhousing and tighten it up make sure it's not touching the flywheel surface and see if it fires right up. Worth a shot before you buy the sensor..But chances are you'll have to buy a new sensor. also make sure it comes with the updated grommet

Thanks guys, think I'll hit it this weekend, I'll give an update :beerchug:

Back