Jacking up the front for wheel removal

busa_bill

Life - tastes like chicken!
Donating Member
Registered
The owners manual says to put the jack under the exhaust.
Do I really want to do that?
Don't want to crush a pipe or cause a leak at the flange.

Also says to remove the faring. If I do jack it up on the exhaust, I can see under the bike where I can get the jack on the exhaust running a piece of wood between two primary's without touching the faring.

I don't quite understand.

If you have after market exhaust, I would night do. Maybe the stock steel pipes may hold up. Get a front stand or use a come-a-long and lift it by the triple tree. Do not for get get to loosen your front finder.

I will be doing this for my front tire as well, hope this helps.  
beerchug.gif

"Chassis 6-15:
. Remove the brake calipers left and right

Caution: DO NOT OPERATE THE BRAKE LEVER WHILE REMOVING THE CALIPERS.

. Loosen two axle pitch bolts on the right front fork leg.
. Loosen the front axle.

. Raise the front wheel off the ground and support the motor cycle with a jack or wooden block.
Note: Remove the left and right under cowlings, if necessary.

Caution: DO NOT WORK BY USING SIDE STAND. DO NOT SUPPORT THE MOTOR CYCLE WITH EXHAUST PIPE. MAKE SURE THAT THE MOTOR CYCLE IS SUPPORTED SECURELY.

. Remove the front axle and front wheel
Note: After removing the front wheel, fir the calipers temporarily to the original positions.

. Loosen two axle pinch bolts on the left front fork leg and remove the spacer nut. "

do they make a special tool for removing the front axel I just went to the local harware store and bought a nut and bolt then welded the nut on the bolt and then use a impact and socket to remove works real well

A Metric 16mm dia. bolt has a 22mm hex head on it.
A SAE 5/8" dia. bolt has a 13/16" (21 mm) hex head on it.
A bolt 4-6" (100-150mm) long allows using a monkey wrench on it.
Some SparkPlug sockets have a 13/16" Hex head on the socket drive side. Can use it in reverse using an drive extention running inside it.

Very useful is a 6mm allen wrench mounted in a socket.

This is how they wind up when we polish.

I used a block of wood under the exhaust and had a friend to hold the bars.

IMG_0124.jpg

Cycle gear sells a axel wrench for $16.99
You can buy it on line or at one of there stores.
Check store locator to see if they have one near you.

Link

motrax_axle_wrench.jpg

I have jacked mine up under the STOCK exhaust with no problems or damage. I also bought a nut and bolt and welded the nut to the bolt, works great for under a buck! I did remove the fairings though.

With a center stand installed.
It takes about 30lbs of pressure with a 8" flat board placed between the floor jack and headers.
This was something that I had wondered about years ago.
No mishaps yet.

I recently removed both wheels to have the tires changed. The rear of the bike was on a swingarm stand and made the bike stable. I jacked the front of the bike up with a floor jack under the stock exhaust using a 1" x 4" section of wood on the jack to not ding up the header. The stock header pipe is pretty sturdy and you shouldn't have any problem doing this, but I would not recommend it if you have an after market exhaust.

I know I'm going to get blasted for this but...

I have a heavy duty tool box handle bolted to a 2x4 which is lagged to the ceiling trusses in my garage.  

I just put a pair of tie downs on the handle on the ceiling and one to each side of the handle bars and hoist the front end up.  
SHOCKED.gif

Definately loosen all bolts before hoisting.
iamwithstupid.gif

Definately get a helper to steady it as you hoist.  
beerchug.gif

Been doing it for 16 years that way with streetbikes & dirtbikes.

gotta be a tad wierd to do it tho  
tounge.gif

crazy.gif

Good luck!

Thanks guy's.
All I have now is a pit bull for the rear. I'll get another stand eventually to support the front.
I wasn't sure if the stock exhaust would support the weight of the bike, but it sounds to be just fine. After all, Zuki has it that way in the owners manual.

Made a front axle tool out of a bolt and two nuts using red locktite. I tried it, and it broke the axle loose with no problem.

This site is super for stuff just like this.

Thanks!!!

Redline also had a new front stand that can pivot and is a bit more flexable.

Back