Gen II front wheel removal

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Front wheel needs to come off, looks easy, but have not done this before.

Any tips, other than protecting the calipers so they don't scratch the rim, not touching the brake once the calipers are off and getting that special tool from cycle gear to hold the left side of the axle when replacing?

I have to remove the front fender to get my stand in.

The service manual says to remove both front, left and right plastics and under cowling (fairings) are they crazy? ???

You don't need to take off fairings or under cowlings.
Not sure what kind of stand you have but with mine I don't need to take off the fender either ?
Yes as soon as you remove bolts from calipers and slowly lift them off rotors you should wrap them in a rag so they won't scratch your wheel or get scratched .
Sounds like you have the right tools .
Yes your right , don't touch brake lever or pads will close on each other and it will be very diff to pry them open/apart without damaging them.
Axle nut gets torqued back to 72.5 ft lbs.

Thx Blanca

I have a Pitbull stand, the one that fits with the pin under the triple tree. Maybe I can get it in, but looks tight.

i guess the stem stands has more clearance.

With just the fork stand the fender has to be taken off or at least unbolted and lifted up.

That stand should allow you to take the wheel off without removing the fender ?
Others may chime in .
Just be careful and as usual don't force anything .
Biggest thing is wrapping and hanging calipers out of the way so as to not scratch wheel .
Your not really supposed to let them just hang from the brake lines .
Get a couple coat hangers or some wire and wrap it around each grip . Then when you take off the caliper you can use this to hang it with out of the way.

Nope, with the front fork lift the fender will need to come off. I tried some 2x6 under the front stand this time and still needed to remove the front fender. The stem stand is even worse because your suspension is allowed to extend when you lift the bike. The PitBull lift is close, but the fender still needs to be removed. It is six allen screws, not a problem!

IMAG0182.jpg

Last edited:
Nope, with the front fork lift the fender will need to come off. I tried some 2x6 under the front stand this time and still needed to remove the front fender. The stem stand is even worse because your suspension is allowed to extend when you lift the bike. The PitBull lift is close, but the fender still needs to be removed. It is six allen screws, not a problem!

Thx, good info.

How do you remove that black clip thingy, the one that holds the brake line fixture to the fender?

Thx, good info.

How do you remove that black clip thingy, the one that holds the brake line fixture to the fender?

don't go that far. Just loosen the fender (remove the 4 front bolts, loosen the two rear) and tilt it up to clear the tire. Removal is not the correct word.

don't go that far. Just loosen the fender (remove the 4 front bolts, loosen the two rear) and tilt it up to clear the tire. Removal is not the correct word.

Thx Steve.

My Pitbul stand goes into the bottom of the steering column at the tripple tree with a pin. It is a real tight fit with the fender, may be easier to take it off. Think I will get some new clips/rivits, so I don't have a problem if I break the old ones, trying to figure out how to remove them.

IMAG0182.jpg

Sorry to but in, I was looking at your bike and noticed your windscreen. Is that a zero gravity touring one. If it is, does the wind still hit you in the face or does it make it over your head? Again, sorry to highjack the thread

I'm 5'8" short and still need to tuck a bit to the wind off the helmet.

Sorry to but in, I was looking at your bike and noticed your windscreen. Is that a zero gravity touring one. If it is, does the wind still hit you in the face or does it make it over your head? Again, sorry to highjack the thread

What Steve said should work perfect :thumbsup:

What Steve said should work perfect :thumbsup:

Thx Shane, that was a piece of cake. From putting the bike up on the stands to ripping out the front wheel took best part of 20 minutes. Next time has to be 10 minutes.:laugh:

I did remove the main brake caliper rubber hose line bracket from the fender, gives more room to get the caliper out the way. Two turns with a 10mm wrench, the rest was a hand-job.

Some tips, for other doing this:

When pulling the calipers of their dowels move them gently side to side, using the disc to push the caliper pistons back for more clearance during re-assembly.

I put each caliper in a sock and tied the sock around the fork, so they don't hang on the hoses and they are out of the way.

Taped the top of the fender, to make sure no scratches when putting in the Pit Bull stem stand.

Once the wheel is out, remove the loose bearing collar and plug both bearing sides to prevent dust getting into the grease.

Some pics for others doing this first time:

Remove caliper hose clip from fender, to give more working room.

Busa 001.jpg

Use a 10mm wrench inside of fender.

Busa 004.jpg

Turn bracket 90 degrees, for no scratchies.

Busa 005.jpg

4mm Allen Key, takes care of the fender bolts both sides and remove the reflectors with stem.

Busa 007.jpg

Tape up front fender and put stands in. Loosten caliper holding bolts 2 x 12mm each, lift them out the way and put each in a sock. Loosten right side axle pinch bolts 12mm, loosten right side axle bolt 22mm and remove. Loosten left side axle pinch bolts, put something under the tire and slide out the axle bolt. Lift the fender out of the way, and remove the wheel, wala, you are done.

Taped up front fender to make sure no scratchies from stem stand.

Busa 009.jpg

Break calipers tied to fork in sock.

Busa 012.jpg

Front wheel with right side collar removed and holes plugged to keep open grease bearings clean.

Busa 013.jpg

Busa 001.jpg

Busa 004.jpg

Busa 005.jpg

Busa 007.jpg

Busa 009.jpg

Busa 013.jpg

Busa 012.jpg

Thx Blanca

I have a Pitbull stand, the one that fits with the pin under the triple tree. Maybe I can get it in, but looks tight.
I have the same stand. It's awesome (just be sure to put the rear up on a stand before you use it). As Blanca said, you shouldn't need to remove the fender, and you certainly don't need to touch any part of the fairing.

Edit: Never mind...Just scrolled down and saw you already did it.

Back