Jacket crisis

daiddu

Registered
I just searched and reviewed a couple hundred posts in the forums that discuss jackets and I'm still stuck. Some advice would be great
smile.gif

I'm ready to get some good gear, but I'm not sure what I want and I hate to drop a couple hundred bucks without trying the jackets on.

I live in northwest florida (panama city) and I need a jacket that will breathe. I also read somewhere that leather will last over 60' in a skid, while some jackets are only rated at 15-20 feet. I also read that denim was good for about 4', although that seems kind of crazy.

I've searched the web for shops that sell jackets within 2 hrs (pensacola and tallahassee)... no luck.

I've read mostly good reviews on many jackets here, but without being able to try it on, how do you guys pick out your gear.

- Just buy and return until you get one you like??? Seems like a lot of shipping costs.

The local shop only carries a couple types and they are not the cheapest source by far ;)

A friend bought a jacket without trying it on while on the bike and the collar bugged him so much that he never wears it....

Thanks in advance

dd

Here's my review of a recent jacket purchase:

I highly recommend this jacket.

I bought in person at this store, but it's also on-line. If you need something you don't see ask-- they have a huge in-stock inventory:

http://www.brocktoncycle.com/

As for buying on-line and sizing, what I do is this-- If I'm interested let's say an Ikon jacket, I try on one somewhere to get a feel for the sizing. Doesn't matter what model it is. Then I note my size in certain brands-- voila fait de accompli.

I find I wear a 50 almost all brands of textiles, and a 52 in most leathers (opt for slightly more room.

<!--EDIT|thesnake
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092019168 -->

Thanks for the advice snake... I guess my best bet it to try and get a boondoggle from work to a large city and then go hunting
smile.gif
I might find a perk from this government job after all
wink.gif

I really like my Icon Motorhead jacket, the perfed leather under the arms breathes well. The liner zips out for when its really warm. No collar to speek of to rub on the helmet and annoy you. Like said before, try a size in a store to get an idea, then buy online.

What I ended up doing is going to local dealers and trying on some of(all of) their jackets. Not only did I get what size a particular was but was also able to check out as best I could, the bene's and faults of each jacket. Plus, sometimes the pics on a website either don't do a jacket justice or it makes the jacket look badass when really it isn't that nice. I also did a lot of reading on the jackets that I had picked out to see how they tested out. I finally settled on the Joe Rocket Alter Ego just because it is so versatile. Really good for both hot/cold/inbetween weather and it had all the extra armor that could be removed if needed. Alter Ego is also cool that when you turn it into the summer mesh jacket you can take the shell and it will fold into your trunk with a little(very little) room to spare so that if you get caught in some weather all you have to do is pull it out and zip it in. Hope this helps.

Wayne

<a href="http://www.newenough.com">New Enough<a> for some very nice items, prices and customer service. Have bought a few things from them (jackets, pants, and boots), along with other members of the board, and completely satisfied with every transaction. They will help you with the sizing and if things do not fit correctly they will provide a replacement before you even return the original. I have both the FirstGear MeshTex II jacket w/ liner for light rides and a Hayabusa leather jacket for other days. I would really like to wear leather all the time, but it does have breathing problems. The FG jacket is great, fits well, armoured (lightly), breathable and not that expensive. Hope this helps.

If you can handle a trip to Daytona, you might find what you need here: Helmet Shop

I'm sure they don't stock every size of everything shown on their website but the last time I was there, they had a good selection on hand.

I bought an AGVSport Fusion model with Suzuki lettering from a local dealer, so I was able to try it on and wear it around the shop before deciding to buy it. Very comfortable, even more so once it molds itself to your bod. It's blue and black with a little silver and white in it. The blue closely matches the blue in my '04 Blue/Silver Busa and my Shoei Z-Two Viking helmet w/blue shield. I look like the Blue Power Ranger!

The jacket has shoulder, elbow and back protection, including two zippered vents in the back which have a suprising impact on cooling. It's perforated leather and I'm comfortable riding in 80 degree weather, though when it's been cooler I've had to close the vents and add layers. I have the full monty of layers: Underarmour Cold Gear, Heat Gear, long sleeved Turf Gear, kayakers wet suit top and a Spyder cotton ski turtleneck. No temperature can thwart me but those so low that I don't want to ride at all.

But the jacket wasn't cheap........$300 plus 7% PA sales tax. Funny, but in PA clothing isn't subject to sales tax. When I contested it the dealer said that the leather jacket was a sporting good item and therefore taxable. But condoms aren't taxable because they're considered clothing. Hell, I consider the condom to be the ultimate sporting good!

I vote for Newenough also...good service, great pricing...I bought a Vanson perforated jacket from them and I love it for warm weather rides....

OK, my .02    

-Leather, if your only going to be buying one jacket...  make it a perforated leather.  If you want the best, get a Vanson...

- I no longer trust the Joe Rocket or any other Mesh jacket.  I haven't worn mine in a few months and when I do, I feel exposed.  Besides, no BS, no "Me working an angle".  My Full perf leather moves as much air as the Phoenix when rollin, neither does bobo except cook your ass when stationary.

-Avoid BLACK...  Sounds funny coming from me but here in Florida, a light colored jacket will make a huge difference in your comfort.  I had this dramatically explained to me awhile back during a partially cloudy ride...  Sun comes out... I'm burning... Sun goes away... I'm comfortable again.  

- LEATHERS HAVE TO BE SNUG TO WORK!!!!  Not binding, but a proper riding leather that is going to take the hit for you needs to be snug so it doesn't roll up and expose skin to asphalt.  Mey not be fashionable, but who cares... you a "BADASS" biker in your leathers...  Find a Mesh that will do that for you...  Leather is tough, Biker leather even tougher...

-Finally, Go to WWW.Newenough.com, they are awesome people and will help you figure things out.  Great pricing, top quality gear and real personal help if you need it...  I love em'

Rev

Back