ITS CYBER MONDAY - I want a waterproof GPS with bluetooth for my 08 Busa - HELP

haya4life

Registered
Any suggestions? Time is ticking?

TomTom Rider 2nd edition is nice but $359 on buy.com is still not justifiable for me when other units are $100 bucks. Any suggestions that are waterproof without bluetooth that works great on Gen II. I want a unit that doesn't look like a big elephant! Is mounted securely and discrete.

HELP :please:

Last edited:
Good luck. I think $359 is a good price. The Garmin Zumo 660 that I want is about $650.

I'm sure they will both work for just mapping features but the features of the Zumo are nicer in my opinion. :beerchug:

Tank bag and a map...under $50. Or just get lost and have fun finding your way back.

Yeah Baby..Old Skool!!:thumbsup:

Just a thought, but I have seen quite a few tank bags that offer a waterproof map pocket and a "waterproof cord opening" on the top of the bag. I know what you are thinking but most of the water in a rain storm goes over the tank because of the fairing and only would have to worry about water droplets most of the time, if you are willing to try it. I just got the Magellan Roadmate 1700 that just came out with a 7" screen for my vehicle to go on a trip over christmas and it is super slim. I am guessing around a quarter inch thick or less and it fits perfectly in my ogio tank bag map pocket. I will be trying this out in the spring since I wanted a gps but don't like the little screens since you are concentrating on the small text and not the road. I figured with the larger screen it would take less time to see what you want to see. It is also friendlier to typing as the on screen buttons are very large. Anyone else trying this? Had to ask. Also I have seen on ebay some waterproof enclosures for the cheap GPS units that are older. Take a look: RAM MOUNT AQUA BOX MEDIUM SQUARE FITS MOTORCYCLE/BOAT - eBay (item 300359474753 end time Dec-20-09 06:19:35 PST)

The TomTom rider 2 get's terrible reviews.. just look at the reviews on the Amazon site for it. The Zumo costs a lot more, but everyone loves it.

I just use my Iphone. The google maps feature with routing works for me . As I live in SoFla and we probably get more rain than most of you combined I just put it in a waterproof ziploc specially made for sensitive electronics they sell at boaters world. A piece of Velcro on the back of the phone as well as one on back of bag for wet times. The other piece of Velcro goes on left side of triple clamp next to key and I'm fine . As far as Bluetooth goes iPhone has it but when I'm ridin DONT CALL ! :laugh:

Tank bag and a map...under $50. Or just get lost and have fun finding your way back.

Yeah Baby..Old Skool!!:thumbsup:

+1

Just get lost. All I have to know is NSEW and just ride. Long as you know NSEW you can eventually find your way back.:thumbsup:

If all you want is basic point A to B navigation then go cheap, hope it works out for you.

The Garmin Zūmo series are expensive but they're great because they're made for what we do, ride motorcycles! Most of you're cheaper GPS will navigate from A to B but don't offer many options on how you'll get there, they have a choice of Fastest, Shortest or Off Road route.

Amongst the Zūmo's many features, one of the best is being able to plan trips on your computer before you start and share your rides with your riding buddies (Check out SundayMorningRides.com). You can search for or add food/fuel stops or even local attractions to your route. Then, transfer your route to Zūmo and go ride.

I too thought I could make due with a cheaper model, I'd bought the Nüvi 265WT. The 265WT allows you to add multiple stops to the route, so I figured I'd be able to plan a route by adding the intersections of several roads I wanted to ride. Wrong, the auto-route calculator would take me to those intersections but always found a faster or shorter route to get to them, cutting out the twisty roads in between that I wanted to ride.

The Zūmo takes me exactly where I want to go via the roads I want to ride. If I want to go exploring the Zūmo records my ride so I can take it back home, load it on the computer and clean it up (cut out the U-turns or add stops) so I can ride it again. No more stopping to write down or trying to remember road names, the GPS tracks every move. :cheerleader:

Garmin Nuvi 550 is water proof and supports routing like the zumo. Only 259 from GPS City. Lots of motorcycle mounts available for it. Here is mine.

IMG_4858.jpg

Garmin Nuvi 550 is water proof and supports routing like the zumo. Only 259 from GPS City. Lots of motorcycle mounts available for it. Here is mine.

IMG_4858.jpg

Same one I use.....it's also shock rated just like the Zumo. Basically the same GPS but without the ginormous buttons. I've never had a problem working it with gloves on so I don't think I'm missing anything with it vs the zumo other than my wallet still has a few hundred bucks in it. :laugh:

What I like about my Zumo 550: Submersible in water up to 15 meters for 1/2 an hour. Unlike many of the other GPS units out there it is built for riding. The thing was designed for vibrations caused by motorcycles. I've herd of other people using generic car GPS units. They have failed half way through the riding season because of damaged caused by vibrations.

And another saying I was taught by dad growing up: Use the proper tool for the job! Get a Zumo & techmount and you'll be golden. I'm going to get one like this:

TECHMOUNT - Products
TECHMOUNT - Products

I'm planing on running the GPS right next to a valentine 1 radar detector. The second link is for the double plate to expand the versatility of the mount.

Back