Is this a good deal?

gsx1300rr

Registered
One of my good friends has been shopping for a deal on a turbo busa and came by this bike-

Suzuki Hayabusa | eBay

Does it seem like a good bike for $14,000? It has a Stedmans turbo kit, built by Lee's Cycle, and tuned by Stedman. Any feedback is appreciated!

They are good builders and tuners. Make sure its actually done by them before anything else

These pics were of a bike built by jay that I had to completely redo. They show the type of quality work that rolls out of that shop. This bike was riddled with problems.

image.jpg

image.jpg

That looks terrible! The bike was built by Lee's Cycle, using a Stedman turbo kit, and then tuned by Stedman. Is that still a red flag?

There was a period in time where Rcc was building the header, charge pipes, and plenums for steadmen. Steadmen would then use eBay china turbos, lines, fittings, blow off valves ect to complete the kits.

nothing like cutting corners to make a larger profit. i would tear that dude up if i drop coin to find out he cut corners on my ride.

That's why it's better to just pay a little more and have it built when it comes to these High HP turbo/suped up motor race bikes. It's 1 thing 2 just buy a used busa off somebody there's tell tale signs if the bike has been ridden hard and put away wet. But when your talking about dropping $15k-20k on a custom turbo build you don't know who did what where or what was used. All you have is somebody's word and that's all fine and dandy till you ride the bike 4 more than a few minutes and your engine has a total meltdown.

Better 2 take it to a reputable shop and pay them 2 do the work that way you know and you can hold somebody responsible if it isn't to your satisfaction. Buying used you accept the bike as is good or bad :whistle:

Exactly^^

Can't tell you how many bikes I've had to fix for those reasons alone. Chances are if it's a good deal on a turbo bike, there's more to it, unless it's from a well known member.

The few pics I see underneath the seat have tell tail signs of a rats nest underneath the plastics.

I completely agree with you guys, thanks for the feedback! I have never heard of Lee's Cycle and heard good & bad things about Steadmen. For $15k why risk it!

Considering what I've seen for sale on Turbo bikes with the economy lately, I wouldn't pay anywhere close to $14k for that bike. The other issues pointed out above mean I wouldn't pay anything for it...

Honestly, anyone would be better off spending the money the first time and knowing it's built right with a reputable builder. I've heard of to many people buying these bikes that are apparently done "right" and then spending far more $$$ just to get it running let alone making it RIGHT. Just save yourself time, money and lots of headaches and build it right the first time. Sometimes you can save money buying one already done, but a lot of times you spend far more fixing others mistakes... :(

Firstly can I say Lee Tomlinson is a very well respected Pro Street bike builder & the work I have seen of his is very impressive. Equally the seller of this bike is Quinn Orrand who races for Lee & runs his own dealership.

His Pro Street Turbo System that I supplied him was tuned at Stedman Motorsports succesfully to 612hp at 29psi & that was non intercooled! That was on a friday & on the sunday it went an easy 7.32 but needed the shock reworking. So you cant say any of these guys dont know what they are about.

Now if you have over 600hp for under 30psi of boost non chargecooled or intercooled feel free to criticise but I can be nothing but impressed.

Regards kit quality I can tell you I have sorted out 2 US branded Turbo kitted bikes here in the Uk fitted with Chinese Turbochargers & to be fair the chinese bit was not the problem the fabrication was on one & the fuel system was on the other. Neither of those kits were Stedmans. So you guys have had more than just him doing it.

Cutting corners to make a large profit? I would say as Stedmans has been the cheapest kit on the market that in fact he was not cutting corners to make a big profit but rather meeting the needs of consumers that were not willing to pay proper prices to begin with. How can you expect a turbo kit manufacturer to pay $1200 for a Turbo on a sub $4000 stage 1 kit without cutting corners somewhere & be able to put food on his childrens table.

I can see politically why some tuners in the US are zeroing in on Stedman Motorsports as recently his fabrication quality has become very good (if any of you are on his facebook have a look) & now Dennis (Motorhead) is working for him their turbocharging potential has increased dramatically. It pays I guess to knock the competition when threatened. Happens everywhere.

GSX1300RR I would snap up that bike primarily because Quinn who is selling it has a good rep so if you have problems he would more than likely help you more than others would. Which is the answer you got on SH.org to be fair.

Back