Is it safe to repair?

pseudo

Donating Member
Registered
I just barley bought a set of replacment Pilot Powers only to come to the parking lot to find a nail protruding from them. Pulled out and instantly went flat.

I know that the tires are Zrated and made of a special compund, so what I was wondering is ... Can I use a standard repair kit on it? Will it be safe? Should I replace it? Please, input is needed seeming I have no transport for the bike and need to get something figoured out today.

Thanks guys!

I would NEVER NEVER NEVER repair a tire to ride on, except the distance to the shop to get a new tire.

JMHO

Don

I've used an umbrella patch .....take tire off rim ...plugs from the inside and also has a patch attached to the end of the plug that seals . Must be installed by a tech at the stealership . Much more safe than a "standard" plug .

I would just replace it a plug is good for an emergency to get home if that puppy was to spit out it could be ugly it sucks have'in to replace it already again but sometimes thats just the bad luck that comes with the sport
smile.gif

I'd use an emergency plug to get home while staying under 60 mph. A proper patch/plug combo professionally installed would "probably" work fine for the life of the tire. The patch/plug will never leak or fail, but if the nail damaged cords in just the right spot and the carcass lets go at high speed.......we'll, is your life worth "probably"?

My vote is to replace the tire.

(usn04limited @ Sep. 30 2006,09:29) I would NEVER NEVER NEVER repair a tire to ride on, except the distance to the shop to get a new tire.

JMHO

Don
+1

Lamb just had the same thing happen to him. Rode it around with a patch for a week, then replaced the tire.

(pseudo @ Sep. 30 2006,09:24) I just barley bought a set of replacment Pilot Powers only to come to the parking lot to find a nail protruding from them. Pulled out and instantly went flat.

I know that the tires are Zrated and made of a special compund, so what I was wondering is ... Can I use a standard repair kit on it? Will it be safe? Should I replace it? Please, input is needed seeming I have no transport for the bike and need to get something figoured out today.

Thanks guys!
Bro phug the nonsense... I've used a vulkanizing plug on both of the last rear tires I had.
Then I rode on them for several thousand miles each at TOP SPEED. DAILY.
Plug it and enjoy it.
There will be those that say oh never never never never nonono.
I say phug that.
Try it and see.
You 'll be okay. I ride really fast on worse roads than you do guaranteed and I haven't had any problems due to plugs...

I ran a rear D207 to over 13K miles till the threads showed with a repair done around 1K, riding fast, slow, off-road, etc. The tire did explode or cause the start of WWIII. I've repaired other tires as well, and they did not catch fire or cause anyone to spontaneously combust, either. I know something really, really bad will happen one of these with a repair, but hey, I like to live on the wild side. I think it's me lucky charms.
biggrin.gif

Use a patch-plug (they do this at NTB/Discount). The inside surface must be ground smooth first, so get a shop to do it if you aren't so skilled at the Dremel.
wink.gif

My peace of mind is well worth the $150 to replace it. Cannot imagine the stresses these tires deal with on these bikes.

my front tire tore apart from my plug. I topped it out and when i slowed down my tire was in shreds...i was very lucky.

(Turbo-Torch @ Sep. 30 2006,12:10) I'd use an emergency plug to get home while staying under 60 mph.  A proper patch/plug combo professionally installed would "probably" work fine for the life of the tire.  The patch/plug will never leak or fail, but if the nail damaged cords in just the right spot and the carcass lets go at high speed.......we'll, is your life worth "probably"?

My vote is to replace the tire.
Well said.

--Wag--

(Projekt @ Sep. 30 2006,14:27)
(pseudo @ Sep. 30 2006,09:24) I just barley bought a set of replacment Pilot Powers only to come to the parking lot to find a nail protruding from them. Pulled out and instantly went flat.

Thanks guys!
Bro phug the nonsense... I've used a vulkanizing plug on both of the last rear tires I had.
Then I rode on them for several thousand miles each at TOP SPEED. DAILY.
Plug it and enjoy it.
There will be those that say oh never never never never nonono.
I say phug that.
Try it and see.
You 'll be okay. I ride really fast on worse roads than you do guaranteed and I haven't had any problems due to plugs...
Making a global assessment based on a single case is not assurance that it's the right thing to do. You had no problems but it does not mean that the chances for problems are still not greater.

It's inappropriate to base a decision based on anecdotal evidence such as this in any case but more especially when a life is on the line.

Chances of tire failure are greater with a plug than with a patch and greater with a patch than with a new tire.

Gamble with your money if you want but your life?

Jeez.

--Wag--

I have had good luck with plugs. But it depends what your plugging!! Where the hole is, what made the hole etc. If your a brain surgeon and know nothing of tires just get a new one put on. The removing of it will make the bead trashed more than likely anyway.
all_coholic.gif

Hey don't let it stay at the stealer if you replace it! It will be on another bike faster than you can get home!! Stay out of the const yards..
lurk.gif
all_coholic.gif

I've patched lots of rear tires, never a front one. I pick them up at the dealership with nails, wire, screws etc. still in them usually. I patch them from the inside and use them for burnout tires. I have no problem with a patched tire. However, I have a rule of thumb, never exceed 100 mph. Never!

They have special "Umbrella" patches. As was noted in an above post. It is a rumor that you cant repair a motorcycle tire. A rumor put out there by people who sell motorcycle tires... imagine that!!!

I have seen friends bikes with 5000+ miles on tires with patches in them. One on a 949RR with 2 of the umbrella patches up front and 3 in the back. He regularly did 130 mph plus and did one track day with them. Its perfectly safe to do if you use the appropriate patches and they are applied by someone who knows what they are doing.

Dont go down to an autoparts store and buy the plug kits for auto tires. Thats not a good thing to do. I use them on my car and truck but a motorcycle.. no way.

If you go to a shop that fixes motorcycle tires you can look on the packages and even see they are listed to be used in motorcycle tires ( the umbrella patches that is) I worked at a chevy dealer doing oil changes, tire rotations and mounting balances even a few alignments. If a plug wouldnt work I broke down the tire and used the umbrella patch. It is a patch with a plug that sticks through the hole and has a metal rod on the end to help you pull it through and get it in tight.

As with anything else prep is a big part of success. You have to sand the area flat where the patch will be applied. Then clean it very well once you have a perfect surface. Apply the rubber cement or whatever kind of glue your particular patch calls for. Pull the sticker cover off the underside of the patch and pull the plug part through the hole from the inside to the outside. Using your patch roller tool with the teeth on it work that patch over really well. Making sure to go over the whole surface area of the patch several times. At this point you can smear some rubber cement over the top of the patch for added safety. That part is up to you and isnt really needed. Trim the protuding plug area flush with the rubber or if its in between the treads you can trim it a little below the tread height. The plug is rubber and will wear down with the tire.

These little plugs are wonderful for auto and motorcycle applications. The boxes they came in said they have been tested on Automotive, Light truck, Commercial, Off road and motorcycle applications of all types and speed ratings.

There are several different types of mushroom capped plugs some have a gun type tool to insert them with their own vulcanizing juice already on them.

This isnt 1975 anymore tire repair has come a long way.

www.patchboy.com has many different styles.

Hope some of this was of use to you guys

-vJ-

I could give a **** about what old patchboy says.....
argue.gif
my life is worth more than $135 to replace the tire......

Back