Is around 200 hp the limit for street bikes

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Is around 200 hp at the crank close to a gentleman's agreement for manufacturers of legal street bikes?

Looks like the Kawasaki H2 will be around 200 from rumors?

Ducati states the new 1299 as 205 hp

Yamaha suggests 200 ps, or 197 hp for the new R1.

The Hayabusa is already there, 200 ps, or 197 hp at the crank, for several years. So is the 1K Gixxer.

ZX 14 don't really advertise their numbers at the crank.

Have we pushed the envelope to its limit and all that is left is sophisticated electronics, allowing a rider to utilize 200 hp on the strip, or the track?

In other words where does this end?

I don't think there is any agreement. The H2/R are supposedly no where near max output, they aimed for 300 for the R, and hit it easily. So no reason to think the later H2/R models won't go higher.

I don't think it has anything to do with the power. They want to make a SAFE and usable bike that can be controlled and enjoyed RELIABLY while still meeting all government regulations and EPA ratings (while NOT getting sued)!

I won't be surprised one bit if the next Hayabusa or it's replacement will come with a Supercharger or Turbocharger!

Let's be honest, the H2 and H2R is just Kawi flexing it's tech. The bike "currently" can't be legally raced in any form or racing organization and won't meet on track rules without a few mods. So essentially they built it for bragging rights only! Now with them being essentially built to order only, you won't see a bunch of them just sitting on the dealership show room unless someone backs out of the purchase. Based on some of the maintenance intervals I'm reading I just don't see the bike being popular for the regular guy. It's just not cost effective for someone to ride it daily...

I see the H2 as the Busa in 99 if they only made a few hundred. They made it to show what they can do, but they didn't make it to be used frequently. In truth what they made is a real nice platform to show that they have some real interesting tech but thats it.

-D

In other words where does this end?
it doesn't. I use to think 150 hp to the wheels was fastest chit around lol I guess at the time it use to be. now I'm bored at 330 hp lol. honestly I think anything in the 400 hp range will be close to the limit for most riders. traction becomes the issues not the size of ur balls!

Is around 200 hp at the crank close to a gentleman's agreement for manufacturers of legal street bikes?

Looks like the Kawasaki H2 will be around 200 from rumors?

BTW, there was only one time when 200 was said, and Kawasaki has said it was not the real number. They keep hinting the number is higher. My guess is we're going to see 240-260 hp. The motor on the H2R only has minor differences, and they said even that wasn't pushing the edge of what the hardware could generate.

BTW, there was only one time when 200 was said, and Kawasaki has said it was not the real number. They keep hinting the number is higher. My guess is we're going to see 240-260 hp. The motor on the H2R only has minor differences, and they said even that wasn't pushing the edge of what the hardware could generate.

Sure they don't want to say "hey our bike makes 500hp...but it needs rebuilt each time it produces.." Being conservative seems to be the way to go

-D

Well the agreement is that the top speed is 189 mph but there is no agreement on how fast a bike can get to that speed and that is the real "race" now. That's really why a turbo or SC makes sense, they can maake huge power. I think we are going to see bigger tires coming on superbikes too. The 1199 has a 200, I see 240's in the near future.

Agreed, More and more people are going with a 240 or 300 rear. From the days of the bikes with skinny tires to todays fat tires, the market is changing.

-D

I think the Daviel (spelling?) from Ducati is a good example. Actually handles pretty well with a 240 I believe.

Well whether you like it or not it is a bike with a large rear tire that handles. That was more my point.

Well whether you like it or not it is a bike with a large rear tire that handles. That was more my point.

No worries, just saying it looks really weird when riding behind him, kind of if the back wheel diameter is way to small.

Don't have a pic from behind, but this gives you an idea.

Diavel.jpg

Diavel.jpg

Big fan of Ducati 4 quite a while but they missed the mark IMO with that bike. Looks like it fell out the ugly tree and hit every single damn branch on the way down....:laugh:

Back