IPhones and water? Anybody got any experience?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Daughter got tossed into a pool today at a bday party and had her iPhone in her pocket.
It was in water for an undetermined amount of time. It was in an otterbox case which may have helped?
When I removed sim card there was a small amount of water on it :(
So how and what do I do if anything to save it? Or is it shot? Anybody soaked their iphone and come out ok?

I've heard that putting the phone is a ziplock bag with rice will draw the moisture out.

Best thing to do it is put it in rice. The rice will draw out the moisture and hope for the best. Electronics don't mix well with moisture. You may get off lucky and it will be ok.

Heck, you can even open up the phone and put it in with the rice - rice isn't going to hurt anything and it's your best bed for getting out the moisture.

As mentioned above, the rice will work but it will not work overnight. My wife put hers through an entire wash cycle in the washing machine. It ooh about 4 days before it was fully functional again but it worked perfectly for another 15 months before we upgraded it. Just don't sweat it if it's not working tomorrow. It may take several days to a week before it pulls all of the moisture out.

FWIW: after that I will always pay the $99 for the 2 year Apple Care plan. As long as you have a phone to turn in they will replace or repair for free. Compared to the $600 price tag to replace the phone if you do something stupid the first month you get it, thats a pretty good insurance plan.

I've heard that putting the phone is a ziplock bag with rice will draw the moisture out.
I tried this when I got hit by a wave in Hawaii and it did not do any good. I left it in for 3 days and just gave up. I had a BB and it did save the card but I don't think its much you can do for the phone. Good luck

rice and a warm environment...not your oven or microwave... but enough to allow the moisture to evaporate, close under a bright light would work. One thing to note, if you have coverage on it, there is a sticker under the battery that turns colors when wet, there are others inside the phone as well. They will know it got wet so unless its covered by any plan you might have, you might be screwed :(

It's in rice now but I think I'll put it in a ziploc with rice in my car. It's been low 80s here lately and it should help dry it out, hopefully :please:

they had it featured on cnet and my buddy saw it at CES, said the phone was literally in a bucket of water with speakers playing from it. Supposed to be bad ass for a case, wish they made it for my phone :banghead:

Im partially inclined to believe she could have taken better care of it. Was it an accident and could she not have prevented it? I don't know but knowing her and the lack of respect she possesses I'm leaning toward it was foolish care not fun. I'm willing to consider it a sign from above. Since I gave it to her she's been hooked on it. Thousands of texts and Facebook. I think it is too much capability for a 13yr old? I'd be fine just moving on and telling her sorry you should have taken better care of things. Looks like you won't be having a phone anymore. May be better for her to come back to reality.

And if it was something that could not have been avoided because someone did toss her in a pool ok.
Accidents happen right? But somebody should pay for that accident right? So if it were you would you tell the parent of the Ahole kid they need to buy you a new phone? Would you feel right in saying or asking that?

Buddy at work dropped his in the river while crappie fishing last spring. He let it dry out for a couple days and is still using it .

Im partially inclined to believe she could have taken better care of it. Was it an accident and could she not have prevented it? I don't know but knowing her and the lack of respect she possesses I'm leaning toward it was foolish care not fun. I'm willing to consider it a sign from above. Since I gave it to her she's been hooked on it. Thousands of texts and Facebook. I think it is too much capability for a 13yr old? I'd be fine just moving on and telling her sorry you should have taken better care of things. Looks like you won't be having a phone anymore. May be better for her to come back to reality.

And if it was something that could not have been avoided because someone did toss her in a pool ok.
Accidents happen right? But somebody should pay for that accident right? So if it were you would you tell the parent of the Ahole kid they need to buy you a new phone? Would you feel right in saying or asking that?

accident all the way around, then nothing you can do.

someone pushes her by accident into the pool, not as much you can do but you could try to get some $ from them.

If they picked her up or took time to throw her in the pool AND she said "I have my phone in my pocket" then I'd be yappin with the kid and his parents about some cashola. Parents these days though, you might be pissin up the rope in a wind storm...could get lucky and find a kid with good parents willing to hold them accountable :please: :laugh:

I can say though that an iphone allows your 13yr old access to things that, well, 13yr old kids shouldnt be able to get to. If you have it locked down somehow perhaps that gets around it but if not just imagine what she can do that you can't monitor. There are *plenty* of phones that allow her to text and stuff that don't give her unlimited access to everything. Just my 2c worth...

I vote you take it out and shoot it :laugh:

I had 3 samsungs go through the washer(yea yea i know :whistle:) and the rice didnt work on any of em, and i caught em all pretty early, ironically the 4th one went for a swim in havasu with me off the back of my buddies boat, didnt have any issues with it until about 3 weeks later when that one also went for a little trip through the washer :laugh:

Try the silica gel packets and a zip bag they ship with electronics. In the car might cook it if left too long.
Accidents happen and quite often with 13 yo people. It's hard to give them something then take it away. My child will not be rocking a $399 iphone unless they purchase it themselves. I have a co-worker that just went through the same scenario with his 14 yo daughter. I sent them here with good results.

robthephonedoctor.com

From an electronics side... The chance of it working 100% after being submerged while turned on is not likely. The water will corrode components on the inside also as it dries. I have had a phone work after submerging it in water but it is just the luck of the draw whether important components got destroyed when it was submerged.

To the ones who think I got it for her you should know I was eligible for upgrade and got a 4s. Added an extra line for $50 and it's cheaper than her metro pcs phone. Yes Zuk I know it gives her access to more than she should have. Bbd shooting it does sound good.

Back