Introducing Motorcycle Foot Anchors

Good for you I.G. ! Hope all goes well.

Thanks! A lot of time, $$$, and effort. But it's all worth it in the long run. I find myself taking turns more and more aggressively on the street - just so dang easy! Hopefully, a track day will stop this growing bad habit, LOL, because those tar snakes, white lines, and occasional dirt/sand in unexpected places aren't my favorite things.

I'm curious as to who is going to test these foot anchors during a highside?

Does the boot remain on the bike or does it tear every tendon in the foot loose from the bone. The highsides I have experienced have been on the violent side. I'm not sure I'd like my foot under an un-moveable object during the launch? What say you?

I'm not sure about others but when I'm leaned at a 45 degree angle I have 1G of lateral force keeping me planted on the seat and my tank has a factory built in anchor point for my outside knee where I'm firmly anchored to the bike. A tech-spec or stomp grip pad keeps my leg firmly in place.

Short answer: you just volunteered yourself, Tuf!

Seriously though, if you relax your foot under the anchor (consciously or as a reflex) your foot will slip out from under the foot anchor. Here is the same picture I posted earlier in this thread. Seeing the indentation on the foot anchor surface, it becomes clear why this would happen.

foot_anchor.jpg

One test rider was demonstrating foot anchors at the grid during a track day to answer this very question. As soon as he relaxed his foot, he simply fell to the ground. Now that I think about it, this is the very first piece of crash data.

The reality is that most riders do not move their upper body far away from the bike... because they wouldn't feel stable and anchored. Lateral G-force only helps if rider's CG is inline with the bike - and that's exactly the case. If rider's CG is away from the bike, this same G-force would make a rider slide off the bike, hence the upper body is crossed over and goes back to the bike.

I also think that depending on individual body, it may be easier or harder to find stable position on the bike. That's why some would argue they have no problem. However, most every rider just can't position their upper body far away from the bike. Not saying it's impossible, but it's a real challenge and that's where foot anchors help tremendously.

I'm not sure about you but lateral G force plants my arse to the seat whether I have one cheek on the seat or two.

I'm not saying they have no use. I just can't see anyway they would improve my ability to control the bike. What I do visualize is getting a foot hung up between the foot anchor and the controls during a crash.

Good Luck on your new adventure. I hope it turns out well for you.

Anyone likes watching qualifying? Here is Rossi at San Marino MotoGP during Q2.

I can only imagine what's he thinking: "Let me move farther to the inside - this will tighten my line. Ooops! I have nothing to hold on to!"

Give it a few seconds to download:

Link to a short video

This is a really interesting idea. I do understand how it will help and overcome a bunch of physical short comings many riders experience. I employed something similar in the design of a (static) lean trainer years ago. It's really hard to lean a bike 35 degrees standing still and have the student not fall off when experimenting with body position.

I don't think they would suit me personally, but I see how they can help joe average benefit the positive effect of moving the center of gravity on the street. Especially in the following situation,...... less than desirable grip in a corner. Most people have never experimented with body position simply because they are afraid they will fall off. Can you fall off? Sure, if your core isn't strong enough to hold you through the lean and or the physics of a turn isn't trying to push you back up due to low speed, or if your body just doesn't fit the bike and you can't hang on.

I can see this product giving people the ability to flex their foot and pull themselves back into place with legs and hip flexors just like having somebody hold your ankles doing sit ups.

I'm not sure about the concern about getting locked up in the device in a fall, I can see it as being one more rider aid like a quick shifter, or ABS that really, a street rider should master those skills on their own, but really is kinda nice to have.

There is one trade off you should take into consideration when hanging off with your entire body. Your feel for the motorcycle and specifically for the grip of the tires and ability to react quickly to a slide is reduced. I'm not sure this device will have any positive affect in your decision making skills/process if you use it to attempt to hang off farther to go faster on the street.

Good luck with the product.

For any disbelievers, Upper body shift has more positive impact on reduced lean angle at a given speed than simply shifting your ass way over so you can touch your knee on the ground. Why? Your body can be used a lever on the motorcycle, you likely weigh more from the waist up vs. down (no matter what you tell your girlfriend) :)

I can see where this might help. Looks like you got a good idea , Good Luck !

JHerheim, thank you for your thoughtful analysis - a great testament that it takes a community to figure out fine details. You nailed quiet a few things! Frisbee, thank you for best wishes.

JHerheim, I wll challenge you in regard to the feel for a motorcycle and controlling the slide. But let's have a discussion a bit later. I just came from a track day, and exhausted.... CAn't even think straight after full day of riding, and 3.5 hour drive back home.

Weather was perfect, and my riding improved thanks to foot anchors. I didn't have to worry how to hold my body, but could focus on braking points, lines, turn-in, smoothness, precision. So, I have no doubt in my mind they work. I lost count how many people stopped by today, and couldn't believe that a turbo Hayabusa can be ridden like that. And BTW, this is a third track day on a set of BT016 and about 2000 miles of street riding. I probably could squeeze in another track day - maybe not. No doubt 190/55 rear works better than 190/50. I kept tire pressure low during street riding (low 30s), and I think because of that the cupping effect was significantly reduced.

I mounted two mini-cameras: one at the end of the left swingarm - to capture left foot movements, and another on the grab bar - to capture body movement. Will need some time to review the footage from 7 sessions, and edit into something presentable. Based on my capture sample from street riding, additional foot movements are pretty subtle.

There is no way a rider without foot anchors can tighten a line as effectively with just body movement. And the need to do so happens more often on the track than we care to admit, LOL

Oh, yeah, I went over the curb, I think twice, like Marquez did when he crashed at San Marino (no, I am not comparing myself to him). Of course, no comparison in lean angle! But, my upper body was way out there hanging, and I said, screw it, the bike should handle, and it did with no fuss. Of course, the feedback I felt was unsettling, and it took some trust not to panic. So often, ignoring something is the right decision, and the hardest one at that, LOL

To be continued...

So, here is the video which shows the foot work during aggressive riding. Give it a minute to download:

Riding with Foot Anchors Video

I didn't use any footage from the back camera because the camera is not a wide angle cam, and all you see is my back and butt moving around.

I have an update... A test rider on ZX10R equipped with foot anchors rode on the track at NCBIKE this past weekend. He also rode at the same track a few weeks ago. A relatively light rider at around 140 lbs. Short version: the first weekend went crappy; the second one was amazing. Here is why...

Because of the circumstances beyond his control, the test rider didn't have a chance to get used to foot anchors, except for a short street ride prior to his first weekend. Which obviously wasn't nearly enough. He unconsciously was putting too much pressure on the handlebars because he was no longer relying on his outside knee being against the tank to hold him, but still didn't get used to foot anchors to hold his body. As a ripple effect, nothing was working right, and his experience sucked on that day. This underscores the importance of getting used to foot anchors - a learning curve lasting a few sessions/rides is necessary. After such experience, the test rider thought about it, and (I think) practiced more on the street.

So, when he rode this past weekend, everything clicked, and in his words, riding was amazing. He could get his butt 3/4 off the seat easily - something he couldn't do before. He was very relaxed, his outside arm was resting on the tank. After a few sessions, he completely stopped thinking about foot anchors as all his foot work became automatic. I questioned him on some fine points of riding with foot anchors and his experience was consistent with my expectations. He was easily riding at the same pace as before.

Here is the kicker, which is very revealing. For the second day of this past weekend, he replaced his rear tire which was worn to the edges. He replaced it with identical tire. When he looked at the tire at the end, to his surprise he noticed that he had chicken strips. He was positive he was doing the same speed as in the past when he didn't use foot anchors. Well, the reason this happened was because he didn't have to lean the bike as much to achieve the same speed. Now, the only way to lean the bike more is to go faster. And that's his intent for the future.

Oh, another test rider on a Hayabusa rode on the track at NCBIKE in early September, and had similar positive experience. This same rider switched to R1 (without foot anchors) for the second day of that weekend, and clearly felt handicapped.

I know you guys love pictures. So, with permission from the test rider, here is the action shot of him on his ZX10R. Notice that his right foot is partially hooked under a foot anchor. His most notable observation is that he is able to slide off the seat a lot farther with foot anchors.

Mike_on_ZX10R.jpg

I know you guys love pictures. So, with permission from the test rider, here is the action shot of him on his ZX10R. Notice that his right foot is partially hooked under a foot anchor. His most notable observation is that he is able to slide off the seat a lot farther with foot anchors.

Great shot.

Yes, it does. Very little changes in how to ride a bike, except - easier to hang off, faster, more stability, more relaxed.

Ok guys my track review finally! So I started my weekend off in novice group. I went with a mindset to put these to the test. And I did! I have to say these anchors lived up to everything IG spoke of. I was able to achieve a good body positioning effortlessly. I also noticed how much more relaxed I was. Little to no pressure on the bars. I was able to smoothly navigate the track without having to focus on my body positioning and being secure on the bike. Confidence booster for sure. Even around turn 6 at NCBIKE which the pavement is rippled through that turn I had no issures what so ever. I was able to get bumped up twice in one weekend. I had several people come up to me amazed at how quick I was on such a big bike. I accredited it to the anchors. I had several ask about high sides and I showed them how easily you release from the bike. Though I didn't high side I can definitely see how with such an extreme body lean that if the bike were to hook up on a slide once you let the bike go you would fall to the inside. Further I was able to run a bike without anchors. I noticed I was more fatigued after my session without anchors and I was on a much lighter bike. I didn't feel as secure. And while trying to achieve the same body lean I felt my outer foot slipping from the peg. Mind you the bike had stomp grips. I ran an entire day without anchors wishing I had them at the end of the day. Once acclimated to them transitions were quick and effortless. Again I can't recommend them enough to any one running track days or canyon carving. Now I have a designated track bike I will be looking to install foot anchors. As stated before I highly recommend to to all skill levels. Give it an honest try. With a 30 day money back guarantee you can't go wrong.

Back