Introducing Motorcycle Foot Anchors

Ig. Hey my fellow TPM member! I think this is a phenomenal idea. I'm willing to be a test pilot for your product if you still want more feedback. Just let me know. I'm running both an 08 R1 and a 2012 BUSA. Let me know.

Ig. Hey my fellow TPM member! I think this is a phenomenal idea. I'm willing to be a test pilot for your product if you still want more feedback. Just let me know. I'm running both an 08 R1 and a 2012 BUSA. Let me know.

Small world...LOL

Thank you busalude. This is fantastic! I assume your R1 is a track bike, and your Busa is a street bike, right? I have preference for a Busa if it it makes no difference to you as it is easier to stick with one bike. But if you take it easy on a Busa in turns, but hammer your R1, then it would make sense for you to try a set for R1. However, if you do track days on a Busa like I do, then your Busa would be perfect. How do you use both bikes?

Based on above, whatever bike you choose, PM me close-up shots of footpeg areas on both sides so that I can see if anything could be the way. If you pick your R1, let me know (if you do know) whether frame design in the footpeg area is the same for your bike and for later models of R1. The reason I need to know this is because the dealership may have a later model R1 - '13 or '14, and that's the one I will be measuring.

One rider's track day rained out - completely. :banghead: He will be using foot anchors on the street, and we may have some feedback over the next few weeks.

Another one is away on a trip, and didn't have a chance to pick up the kit from the post office. And the third rider should've installed it this past weekend, along with capturing it all on video, but I haven't heard yet.

Two more riders expressed serious interest in testing as you saw from recent posts, and as soon as small things ironed out and they give me the go ahead, I will be making kits for them as well.

I am also working on setting my bike up with three video cameras (one in the back, one at the rear left passenger footpeg, and one at the rear right passenger footpeg). This may take a few weeks. Once I am happy with the setup, I will do some street riding to get some footage, and then intend to do a track day, and produce a detailed video giving viewers a really good feel of how this works.

One rider's track day rained out - completely. :banghead: He will be using foot anchors on the street, and we may have some feedback over the next few weeks.

Another one is away on a trip, and didn't have a chance to pick up the kit from the post office. And the third rider should've installed it this past weekend, along with capturing it all on video, but I haven't heard yet.

Two more riders expressed serious interest in testing as you saw from recent posts, and as soon as small things ironed out and they give me the go ahead, I will be making kits for them as well.

I am also working on setting my bike up with three video cameras (one in the back, one at the rear left passenger footpeg, and one at the rear right passenger footpeg). This may take a few weeks. Once I am happy with the setup, I will do some street riding to get some footage, and then intend to do a track day, and produce a detailed video giving viewers a really good feel of how this works.

I look forward to seeing some video of them in use!!!

You are correct my track bike is an R1. I do plan on tracking my Busa on sept 6 and 7 at ncbike because I have a friend interested in going and I'll be damned if I let a track rookie go out on my baby lol. I'll let him trash the r1. However I was thinking of using the r1 as a test subject since you seem to have several Busa users in test mode including yourself and figured as much data on as many bikes as possible would be more beneficial. But it's up to you. I'm willing to run either and give you feedback and as much input as I can

You know, you have a valid point about R1. My only concern is that there is a learning curve - a few sessions at least, where you have to take it really easy at first, and get used to foot anchors, develop new reflexes, and train some of your leg/foot muscles. I developed a 10 section training guide. I will PM you the guide, go over it and tell me if you feel comfortable doing it all at the track. Ideally, if you could first take a few easy street rides, and practice, then at the track you wouldn't have to waste your time on getting used to foot anchors.

Another concern is that by the time I make the kit, and ship it, you will get it around Aug 30 - Sep 2, which is very close to your track day. Would this give you enough time to get ready for the track?

Yet another concern is that since your friend will be riding the R1, you may get very few sessions on it, and then once the track day is over, you won't be using R1, so little chance of testing foot anchors.

Regarding, the Busa, you can use foot anchors both on the street and track, you can take a few learning sessions on the street prior to the track, and you can continue using foot anchors on the street even after the track day.

Also, keep in mind that foot anchors can be removed in a few seconds, while leaving mounting plates attached. So, it's easy to put them on and off.

But let me know what you think, and we better act quickly as there isn't much time left.

maguwx.jpg

izc6sm.jpg

2qjitlh.jpg

1i2yq.jpg

Great save by Marc Marquez, but I am not sure what is the point here. So, what is the point, Tony?

While a picture is worth a thousand words, sometimes a picture without words is worth nothing.

I will help you out. So, let me guess... You don't need no stinking foot anchors to hang off as far as Marquez illustrates, and even be able to save a lowside.

Well, can you do that? Big fat NO. Can any of us do that? No. Can Marquez repeat this again? I also doubt that, although somewhat likely. But the entire drama could likely be avoided in the first place because if he was able to keep his upper body farther away from the bike, the bike's lean angle would be reduced.

And how did Marquez accomplish his recovery? He let his body slide against the road so that he could push the bike back, i.e. reduce the lean angle of the bike. This is the exact technique easily performed with foot anchors - by anyone. No need to be Marquez with his talent, long legs, good physique, and quick reflexes. As your bike gets squirmy, the front starts pushing, or the rear starts sliding - just push the bike away from you by another inch or two (you see it even rhymes, so it must be right, LOL).

I also noticed that you've been bashing foot anchors on various online forums you frequent. :nono: All I can say that you've been a bad boy, Tony. A bad boy! :poke:

On a more serious note, and if you don't mind me dissecting your psychology, when you set your mind against something (or for something), your brain simply follows and brings up all your knowledge and external information to support the notion you pursue. You effectively shut off logic and common sense without realizing it. As a result, your brain unconciously filters out thoughts which come to you mind, so that they will only be the thoughts which support your belief.

See? If you look at that second photo, his left foot wouldn't be hanging in the air (locked under the foot anchor) and his helmet would be looking through the corner!

Kid's an Amateur!

By the way, I am the one who had his track day washed out. I've ridden with the foot anchors on the road twice so far however.

They DO take a bit of getting used to. I find my shins bump them (not painfully) and I have to adjust my movement when reaching for the pegs. I also find it takes way less strength and gives me way more stability when leaning off the bike. Less pressure on the bars, more body leaning off the bike. It's almost ridiculous how far off I can comfortably lean with the bike virtually upright. Oh, and I've found myself "over-steering" and apexing early, even at low speed, as the bike has turned far beyond what my brain thought it would.

I've been riding through the streets of Sydney (For those far away, Sydney is a city of about 5,000,000 people...) and people probably think I'm a wanna-be Rossi try-hard fool, as I'm shifting my body from one side to another in peak-hour traffic!

So far, so good... but will keep you posted.

Hey Pan, this is fantastic! Yep, definitely need to be more precise with your feet. Try moving foot anchors by one position forward, or possibly forward and down if your shins hit foot anchors, and see if this works better.

Easy 10 minute install. Feel great! Initial feedback: solid feel played a little in my neighborhood and can see great benefits. Plan on hitting some offramps later this evening and will correspond afterwards

Screenshot_2014-08-24-15-52-48.jpg

Screenshot_2014-08-24-15-53-08.jpg

Ok everyone. So here's my review so far. As stated before install was a breeze. On to the important stuff. After a few short rides I was able to dial in anchor positions. After a few more short rides I was able to get the feel of using them. After that came the fun part! So I went out leathered up in full gear with the intention of putting them to the test. So I went out on some quiet back roads. I was floored! Turns I would take at 45-50 mph I was now taking at 55-65 with confidence and less bike lean. I didn't even feel like I was pushing the envelope. Upper body stayed loose and In right hand turns I was even able to take my left hand off the bar and my body didn't move. I can't wait to run these on the track. Stay tuned I'll be giving an additional review after my track weekend sept 6-7. Yes I'll be running my Busa on a track at NCBIKE.

I want to get in on this. From the beginning it seemed like a great innovative idea to me. However I procrastinated because I am generally the exact opposite from the profile of riders that would use this. I am really neither sport nor touring. I set my bike up as close to a "Standard" as I could. I have the highest handlebars and the lowest, most forward mounted footpegs on the Org. I ride strictly street and purposely ride to the edge of my tire instead of hanging off. I steer mainly with my shoulder and elbow. Then reluctantly throw out the knee when necessary. Don't want to put in the effort of transitioning from one side of the bike to the other on the street. Until now! This invention seems like a great way to start making hanging off a sometimes thing. If you look at my recently posted videos you will see that for all my old fashioned technique I do get my lean on and I am not slow. I realize I might have missed the Beta testing stage but I'm willing to pay if necessary

Hey BBMyKey, you can now order on the website. Although beta testing results are not in 100%, it's pretty clear that multiple test riders from US, Australia, and Canada are all confirming definite benefits. As was mentioned, I rode with foot anchors - both on the street and at the track - for a year before going public in order to make sure they work in different circumstances, conditions, types of riding, and types of roads as well as to figure out fine points of how to use them properly, how to adapt, and potential challenges and pitfalls a rider might experience.

This may be a silly analogy, but imagine that you need to cut bread with a dull knife all day long. You are doing it, with quite an effort, but gotten used to it and accept it as a norm. Now, someone gives you a really sharp knife, and all of a sudden you realize how easily and precisely you can cut the bread, producing thinner slices, and even enjoy the process. Just be precise and focused - it's a sharp knife.

I've had them installed and commuting lately. All I have to report at the moment is that they do take a bit to get used to as far as being precise with your feet. But it's no bother, and they do not feel in the way as I was unsure about before the install. I'm looking into buyin new boots and seeing how much I can adjust my stock shifter and brake lever to get the most out of them in the twisties. My legs are a bit on the long side, so if I can lower my inputs I can lower the anchors and make it feel like less of a workout, (at the moment I feel the angle of my upward pressure is a bit of an effort, but with use I'm sure it would feel norm). But some more work and ill have some more info.

Quick update. One test rider did a track day with foot anchors on a Busa, and they worked very well for him. Started day in the beginner group, got moved to beginner-intermediate group, and at the end of the day was moved to intermediate. In other words, with 4 levels, he started at level 1, and got to level 3 - all in one day. On his second day, he rode another bike (without foot anchors), and felt something was missing. Don't know if he got a video or something. Must be pretty tired after 2 track days, so he will post whenever he has time. He feels foot anchors helped him tremendously.

Other riders did some street riding/commuting, but not yet aggressive riding or track. Down in Australia scheduled track day rained out. Up in Canada is getting cold. Out on the West Coast weather should be better, so hoping test rider from California will get us something. Maybe they will chime in with their feedback so far. But bottom line is that foot anchors seem to be working for others, although it takes a few rides to get used to them - as was stated.

I am almost done with setting up two cameras on my bike - one behind the left footpeg, and one in the back - on top of grab bar. Plan on doing a track day at Thunderbolt on September 20th with this setup, and hopefully will get some footage showing the actual footwork. Looks decent so far during my test rides on the street, and it becomes obvious that the extra foot work is very incremental.

Back