Introducing Motorcycle Foot Anchors

IG.

Registered
Hey everyone,

About a year ago, I invented Motorcycle Foot Anchors which allow to go faster in turns, quicken the turn-in rate, improve stability, and increase rider confidence. I've been testing foot anchors on the street and track since Summer of 2013, with very positive results. All details can be found at fasturns.com with lots of info, pictures, test rider impressions, FAQ's, etc. Really believe this will change how we corner in the same way hanging off technique did.

I built a prototype for my bike as seen in the pictures on the website. Also, built a prototype for GSXR1000 and recently sent to a racer from WERA forum who will be testing it shortly. Working on the prototype for R6 now for yet another racer. Have no idea whether there is interest/desire from other riders, and wanted to test waters.

At this point, I am looking for a test rider or a few. So, if you feel based on all the info that foot anchors may be beneficial to you for street/track riding and you are willing to give this a serious shot, I would consider making a prototype for you to try so that you could provide your feedback. Hayabusa being a heavier bike needs all the help it can get in cornering department, and I personally experienced a breakthrough in my riding thanks to foot anchors. I've never felt as planted and comfortable on the bike as I feel now. I've never ridden as fast through the same turns - on the street and at the track. Feeling liberated - that's the only way I could describe it. I needed to give foot anchors to a machine shop, and took them off for a short period of time. I felt like I lost an important control I've gotten used to.

I could machine one, maybe two or three prototypes myself although this will take me days. Larger quantities is really challenging as everything is done by hand using mini lathe, mini milling machine, hand tapper, band saw, etc.

I did post about foot anchors on WERA forum a short time ago and there was some interest, and a few racers expressed their willingness to try this new setup if I provide it to them, although there were lots of healthy skepticism, safety concerns, as well as some good points. I also posted about it on a stunt forum, and there is some interest to test this setup for no handers. However, things move slowly.

So, at this point I'd like to introduce foot anchors, answer questions, and see where it goes.

Nice concept however...I disagree that the Hayabusa struggles in the turns...I can keep up with pretty much any bike on my Hayabusa. However, the area where it does struggle is braking...because of the weight it tends to push the front if you come into a corner very fast. I will say that watching people's faces after I have gone through some turns is priceless and it never gets old hearing them say...I never knew those bikes could corner so well!

Best of luck with your product, I think trackday schools would be highly interested. Some schools you could contact are MARRC.org, Roger Lyle, and Cornerspeed.net

My thoughts also. If you look at the animation, the rider's leg is twisted up pretty good. A high side at that point and things could get interesting! I think when you lean the bike the outside foot twists out from the bike, reducing the twisting on the knee and hip joints. To be honest I have never met a turn the knee on the tank grip couldn't handle. Still very neat idea. Hope it works out as it would be really exciting if an org-ster found a hidden magical mod!

Just a thought thinking about an incident on the bike using those. What about a foreword hinge like the upward ones on factory pegs. Just to release the foot. Maybe a heavy spring or a cam to keep it from moving when you don't want.

Nice concept however...I disagree that the Hayabusa struggles in the turns...I can keep up with pretty much any bike on my Hayabusa. However, the area where it does struggle is braking...because of the weight it tends to push the front if you come into a corner very fast. I will say that watching people's faces after I have gone through some turns is priceless and it never gets old hearing them say...I never knew those bikes could corner so well!

Best of luck with your product, I think trackday schools would be highly interested. Some schools you could contact are MARRC.org, Roger Lyle, and Cornerspeed.net

LOL, I agree with everything you say. Countless times during a track day, someone would stop by and express their surprise. Having said that, once the rider's level improves significantly and the pace gets hotter, some may feel the extra weight, wheelbase, etc. I am not at that level, so as you correctly pointed out the bike's abilities are up there pretty high.

Thank you for school recommendations. I will reach out to them.

To respond to StrtRac3r and fallenarch...

First, a big picture point. If you break down what riding consists of, and let's say come up with a 100 small things, and then see how those 100 things change when you change something in your riding... If let's say you install a new lever, perhaps nothing changes in your riding - it's just more convenient, maybe grip feels a little different, but likely all 100 things riding consists of stays the same. When utilizing foot anchors, about 30 of the 100 things change - weight distribution, hip rotation, body position, muscle use, foot work, etc. One cannot expect to bolt them on like a better lever, and get an immediate benefit. One has to re-learn how to ride with them in the same way as new rider needs to learn how to shift, and how to hang off, although the benefits become obvious even during the first ride. Positioning outside foot on the outer peg with the foot rotated outward belongs to this category and needs to change.

Now, to specific concerns. Do not confuse a foot anchor with a foot peg. A foot peg typically has unbiased indentation meant to hold rider's foot in place, and prevent movement of a rider's foot in any direction. Not so with foot anchors, which is easier to see from the picture below. Foot anchor indentation is unidirectional - sort of like a thread. If you want to pull your foot up from under a foot anchor even when your foot is pressed upward against the anchor, it will go up with no resistance - as if the anchor is smooth and lubed with oil. This happens when you want to pull the foot up intentionally, or when you are about to crash and relax your foot unconsciously.

I've been asked many times if I crash tested foot anchors. No, I didn't. The bike is so stable, that no matter what I do it just wouldn't crash. Joking aside, I did research various highside scenarios, and anticipate immediate or almost immediate release of a rider's foot once it goes upwards. Also note that with properly adjusted foot anchors, there is enough room between the foot anchor and the shifter/brake lever so the rider can move the foot easily in any direction.

foot_anchor.jpg

Putting any type of hinge/spring design would likely create more issues. That's why most aggressive riders/racers replace foldable pegs with solidly mounted. I clearly remember when doing track days with stockers, many a times the peg would fold when I was trying to place my foot on them.

After some heated discussions on WERA and other forums, I start to think that body-bike combination makes it challenging for many riders to adapt to a comfortable and effective position in turns, while other riders have no problem with that. Obviously, the latter ones wouldn't need foot anchors, while the former ones would, and I clearly belong to this category of riders. I also think that majority of riders fall into the same category by looking at most everyone's body position, even really fast guys.

To me personally, it was a leap jump I didn't think was possible.

I don't mean to sound like I wanna argue. Just writing my first thoughts.

On the contrary, I would encourage everyone to voice your concerns. I'd rather make an extra effort to address it than hide it and ignore a safety/functionality issue. Don't worry, I can take it. You had to see what I went though on WERA forum, LOL

I'd love to try them! Let me know how...

Easy. LOL. You will be Tester #3. I hope I can keep up with demand, LOL

Please PM me. First, I will need a close-up picture of your footpeg area on the left side and on the right side. Depending on what I see, I may or may not need more info.

Do you have any pictures of this product in use? I can't wrap my head around what your referencing. All I can picture is the peddle locks that I would use on my old mtn bike to keep my feet firmly locked onto my bike peddles and that Idea does not seem practical for a motorcycle.

Do you have any pictures of this product in use? I can't wrap my head around what your referencing. All I can picture is the peddle locks that I would use on my old mtn bike to keep my feet firmly locked onto my bike peddles and that Idea does not seem practical for a motorcycle.

LOL, not only impractical, but very dangerous would be anything that truly locks a rider's foot to a motorcycle.

You can see pictures once you click on 'How it works' link on the website. Here is the direct link:

fasturns.com/how_it_works.htm

I have a Gen 1 with stock rearsets and GSXR1000 pegs. Do you still want photos?

Yes, I'd like to have a close-up of foot area on both sides for the exact configuration of footpeg you will be using. There is a lot of work involved on my part, and I don't want to run the risk of the mounting plates hitting something by a mm, and not fitting as a result.

I have yet to meet a rider who had a good grip on body position who had an issue maintaining that body position throughout a corner. The ball of my foot is always on the footpeg unless the shifter or brake pedal is needed.

If the rear spins up on corner exit, how does the rider react? Yes, he quickly lifts his arse off the seat which is tough to do with the peg in the arch of the foot.

I wouldn't be interested in these things and my guess is not many well schooled riders would be either. :dunno:

I have yet to meet a rider who had a good grip on body position who had an issue maintaining that body position throughout a corner. The ball of my foot is always on the footpeg unless the shifter or brake pedal is needed.

If the rear spins up on corner exit, how does the rider react? Yes, he quickly lifts his arse off the seat which is tough to do with the peg in the arch of the foot.

I wouldn't be interested in these things and my guess is not many well schooled riders would be either. :dunno:

Ah, the man I was waiting for! Tuf, as I explained in post #7, what I am proposing changes roughly 20-30 things in how to corner out of let's say 100 things cornering consists of. Things related to body position fall into this category, but this is not the main purpose, but rather a consequence with positive side effects.

How many riders have a good grip on their body position in your opinion? 1%, 2%, 5%? What the rest of us should do? Anticipating your answer referring to a track school, I'd say that not everyone can take a track school, and even for those who take a school it does work for some, but does not work for many. There is a better and easier way.

To address your specific concern, it is a lot easier to lift yourself up with foot anchors - for obvious reason. For example, if you are laying in bed on your back, it is a lot easier to sit up when your feet are anchored or someone holds them down. Another side point I wanted to make: how many riders spin their tires on exits? Probably 0.1% if not less. Another side point: from all the videos I watched, there is no time to react to a spinning rear, which often turns into a highside, let alone have the time to lift your body. It's all over a long time before a rider has a chance to lift the body unless the slide was ever so light to begin with, which very few riders mastered percentage wise.

Your guess was right: most racers were not interested at all, however some of them were, and I am working with those to setup their bikes.

Tuf, you are probably the most experienced and knowledgeable rider on this board. What would be really great if you could "forget" the accepted norm of how to corner, while at the same time "remembering" the bare physics and mechanics of two wheeled behavior, and apply it to this new concept and figure out what would be the "correct" riding technique in such new circumstances.

I personally did perform the same exercise, perhaps having a limited knowledge and experience in comparison, but came to some stunning conclusions that foot anchors increase corner speed, safety, stability, turn-in rate, rider confidence, and provide more relaxed body position. To support these findings, I tested foot anchors on the street and on the track for almost a year - with very positive results. To clarify, I am not the fastest rider out there (ride in group#3 at the track out of 4 groups, #1 being the fastest). However, I believe the same principles still apply no matter what speed.

I think it would be a completely different riding experience, and that it would probably be cool transitioning side to side.
However, personally I would feel that my knees and/or feet, and ankles would for sure take a good injury in a crash.
I wouldn't want to have my feet somewhat anchored. Again that's just me personally. I rode dirtbikes for many years and a couple seasons of 250B mx. About 19 years of street riding, and stunting/wheelieing that just transitioned from dirtbikes.
So knowing how many times I've been down over the years on dirt:laugh: the idea of being stuck to the bike gives me the creeps. I much prefer to be flung throught the air or slide across the ground:laugh:
Anything can happen and/or kill you in a crash, but having something to help keep you on the bike could keep you on it during the crash. And enough to cause you much more injury than you likely would have sustained had you been easily thrown off the bike.
Considering it is designed to help you corner, it may increase a riders confidance much quicker than their ability, resulting in a higher crash rate.
That's just my two cents, if it's worth that.
I'm not trying to be negative, criticize, or bash your idea either.
I think it's great that you came up with the idea, designed it, machined it and have them on the bike.
That in itself is a noteable accomplishment.:beerchug:
I wish you well with your project.

Back