Intersate 10 and "The Wind"

C-Dog

Formerly cuderdog
Registered
Hi All,
About two weeks ago left New York on my long awaited road trip. I limited myself to about 250 miles a day, of riding. I visited family along the way and spent a few days camping in Titusville Fl. (Kennedy Space center and the Warbird Museum are great!)I arrived in Miami Beach today and plan to spend about two weeks here. It's been a great trip BUT, while I was Very prepared for riding in Cold (heated gear & grips) I must say that I was totally unprepared for the WIND. I did my best to stay off the interstates but the "phantom menace" still beat me up. (gear piled in front & behind me probably isn't helping either) The next leg of my adventure was to be Miami Beach to Scottsdale Az. While I think the temps are within reason, can anyone (From the Gulf Coast states) tell me what wind conditions might be along I10 in February? (or maybe alternate routes Not Too far out of the way)

(I posted this from my iphone with taptalk but cant find it, so here it is again)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327016438_645509.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327016530_840357.jpg

Generally it's not that windy unless a cold font is moving through (or a hurricane :laugh:) You do get some off shore breeze but it's not that bad. You could take HWY 90 as an alternate route but it will take you twice as long as I10 would but it's more scenic. I'll send you a PM with my phone number and you can text me about weather conditions on the GC. I live by Mobile Bay in Alabama so I'll have a pretty good idea for this area. Maybe we can get other members that live alone the way to chime in and they can do the same for ya.

Like she said, the wind on I-10 isn't much more than a light breeze unless there's a storm around. I've driven it between Mobile and New Orleans more times than I care to remember.

Generally it's not that windy unless a cold font is moving through (or a hurricane :laugh:) You do get some off shore breeze but it's not that bad. You could take HWY 90 as an alternate route but it will take you twice as long as I10 would but it's more scenic. I'll send you a PM with my phone number and you can text me about weather conditions on the GC. I live by Mobile Bay in Alabama so I'll have a pretty good idea for this area. Maybe we can get other members that live alone the way to chime in and they can do the same for ya.

It got nasty as soon as I left your place. Pretty mean little storm though. I think I got about a mile across the bay before I realized that my riding day was coming to a close... :laugh:

I'm already scheming for my next adventure. Might just see you guys again this year. :beerchug:

Like she said, the wind on I-10 isn't much more than a light breeze unless there's a storm around. I've driven it between Mobile and New Orleans more times than I care to remember.

It got nasty as soon as I left your place. Pretty mean little storm though. I think I got about a mile across the bay before I realized that my riding day was coming to a close... :laugh:

I'm already scheming for my next adventure. Might just see you guys again this year. :beerchug:

That would be awesome! You know you always have a place to stay.

Thanx. Was I dreaming or do you guys have an 8 mile long bridge? (okay, elevated Highway! Same thing!) So don't want to ride over that in a windstorm!

Thanx. Was I dreaming or do you guys have an 8 mile long bridge? (okay, elevated Highway! Same thing!) So don't want to ride over that in a windstorm!

Yes we do, the Bayway (I10) but if you take the causeway (HWY 98) that's on ground. Depending on which way you go depends on which tunnel you will go through too. The BankHead tunnel is our oldest and smallest. I get a lil claustrophobic going through there but it takes you through downtown Mobile which is a pretty sight.

I 10 Bridge and tunnel

Bankhead tunnel Hwy 98

nothing really crazy unless theres a storm like everyone else said. ive drove from orange tx to florida more than a few time and stayed in florida and louisiana on I10 for about a year.

theres a really long elevated section from lafayette to baton rouge as well. i never got caught up there but i was told by locals thats a huge speed trap area and supposedly they have cams on it. dont know never researched, like i said i never got caught.

nothing really crazy unless theres a storm like everyone else said. ive drove from orange tx to florida more than a few time and stayed in florida and louisiana on I10 for about a year.

theres a really long elevated section from lafayette to baton rouge as well. i never got caught up there but i was told by locals thats a huge speed trap area and supposedly they have cams on it. dont know never researched, like i said i never got caught.

The Atchafalya River Basin Bridge (I 10) is another long one in Louisiana so is Lake Pontchartrain Causeway.

Your in Miami, may as well make the ride to key west and the overseas highway.
7 mile bridge in Marathon is a nice ride.

Thank you all so much. Long bridges are something I'm definitely going to avoid! Gorgeous weather here today, was enjoying a nice ride until a good gust of wind tried to blow me off the causeway! I've developed an aversion to wind and now bridges too! Maybe I'm just too old for this! Anywho, going to the gym everyday. Trying to get into better shape. Want the next leg of my adventure to be more "enjoyable ride" less "challenge". Also, I especially enjoyed the camping part of my trip. Non smoker Motel rooms that smell like smoke, got old after a few nights. Going to research camp grounds along I10 and hope the weather is right for it. Thanx you all again. -Steve

Your on a motorcycle journey!! Have fun with it and Lamb is jealous!

Back