Intermittent Starting Issue

Ozzydel

Registered
Evening all from slightly sunny Scotland

Right here goes - the Hayabusa 2003 78k - bike starts and runs well from cold and I have left for ages (weeks) and yip it starts

so the issue is that if your out on a run and leave the bike parked and come back to it within 20/30 minutes it will sometimes refuse to start - if you put a jump pack on it it starts immediately - but if you leave it another 5/10 minutes hey ho it starts like a good un - now if your away for anything more than an hour it starts without any issues - now this is only occasionally (ie been using the bike daily for the last 2 weeks and only done it once) but its a pure PITA when it does do it and I want to get it sorted

now I have changed the rectifier as I thought it was cooking the battery - got a good quality battery a Dynavolt(extra power) so plenty of voltage/amps to start the thing

when it decides to not start there is plenty of power in the battery as ive checked and getting good 12v

now heres what im thinking and please let me know your thoughts - I think that the starter motor is the issue when its warm the armature is heating up and expanding causing the thing to stick and therefore not start and with the jump there is more power to the started so it is forced to turn over

let me know as I got a starter here and am at my wits end with the thing

IS it cranking but will not start... or will it not turn over at all?

Another thing you can check is your starter button contacts. (I had this issue on my GSXR and with similar syptums). Also Check all your connectors in the starter/ignition circuit. (Always check the simplest solutions first before you start spending $$$ on new parts)

the bike is not starting when you press the switch you get a click from the starter it is more than a solenoid click it - so power getting to it - rules out the switch - but it just doesnt turn over - this is what is leading me to the thought that the starter is partially seizing when warn

went out this morning started no bother - and same again tonight on the way home

temperature wise the bike has always sat just below the halfway mark on the gauge (it is Scotland after all :laugh: )

cheers for the help so far fellas

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup: You might want to check the connections between the starter solenoid / relay and the starter motor as well as the ground connection and make sure they're good and tight.

If you have a starter / alternator guy local you might think about pulling the starter motor and taking it to him.

Is the bike stock or is it built 1397 / 1441 , etc. ?

I can't remember if they had fixed it by 2003, but early models had a starter / starter clutch issue.

Understand that in the starter / starter clutch issue; motor casings have been damaged.

Finally, have the valves ever been checked ?

Hi Dad :laugh: I mean Robert

The valves were done 2K ago when bike was rebuilt - and I have checked all the connections and made sure they all well coated in dielectric grease as the frame had been repainted

I have recently had all the casings off to refinish them and there was no signs of casing damage and all the gears were moving as should do with no signs of damage or wear (because of the mileage) - oil is changed every 1500 miles and it is a stock bike engine wise - got a spare starter here that I am intending in putting on the bike just to see if it solves the problem I have heard that they do suffer from heat soak into the starter motors which jams then up

also while painting the covers I noticed I had 2 different covers for the starter idler gear so I am aware that there are 2 different types of gear - is there a way of identifying what gears from the small cover

cheers for all the help

Del

Back