Installing a power outlet in the trunk

BusaWhipped

Donating Member
Registered
Installed a 12 volt power adapter in the trunk today. Here are some pics and notes.

The primary purpose of the outlet is to power the DC to AC inverter, but it can power any 12 volt appliance or accessory that has a cigarette lighter plug on it.

First, I didn't want to splice into an existing fused circuit since I could be pulling alot of current. So, I tapped of the main switched power circuit. To get to the wire, you need to split the harness going into the fuse block and find the 12 gauge orange wire.

100_1013.jpg

Then I tapped an inline 30 amp fuse with the orange wire. Before doing this, I soldered about 4 feet of 12 gauge wire to the othe end of the fuse line. Its easier to do it on the bench than on the bike.

100_1014.jpg

I don't have a picture of it, but wrap the main harness back up with electrical tape to tidey up. You may have noticed I have a few exta wires and connectors in there
smile.gif
I taped the new switched power wire to the harness I made for the cruise control. But you can follow any route to the back of the bike you want. Its easier to follow an existing harness, cable, or line. I cut out some of the plastic at the front of the trunk to make clearance for the outlet and attached it to side of the trunk with a couple of bolts.

100_1015.jpg

I used a crimp on barrel type connector to connect the power outlet wire to the switched power wire I added and wrapped it in enectrical tape. You can connect the wires using any method you want.  I wanted to have a place that I could disconnect the outlet if I needed to remove it for some reason.  That's the long and the short of it.  Not too difficult or time consuming.  Here's a picture of the truck anfter putting the plastics back on.

100_1019.jpg

Last one. Power inverter connected to the power outlet just waiting for someone to plug something in. I tested it out with my shop boom box. No funny dancing picture though
tounge.gif

100_1020.jpg

The power inverter is for the video cameras. The batteries are only good for about an hour and take about that long to recharge. I'm going on a 3 day ride, don't want to miss out ongood footage because the camera batteries died.

The power inverter is for the video cameras.  The batteries are only good for about an hour and take about that long to recharge.  I'm going on a 3 day ride, don't want to miss out ongood footage because the camera batteries died.
cool.gif

You could get a foreman grill and barbeque some steaks
laugh.gif

The ZX won't be the only bike with a grill
biggrin.gif

Nice job. This is a very cool mod I've been meaning to do myself.

What kind of power inverter is that and where did you buy it from?
It seems to fit perfectly in the trunk. Also wondering if it's using a modified or pure sine wave source. I know the later are much more expensive to buy!

THANKS.

Nice job. This is a very cool mod I've been meaning to do myself.

What kind of power inverter is that and where did you buy it from?  
It seems to fit perfectly in the trunk. Also wondering if it's using a modified or pure sine wave source. I know the later are much more expensive to buy!

THANKS.
+1
This is a very interesting mod!

Now that some trick shid I would have done myself, Dennis, if I didn't have this lil device to power my PSP and nick nack accessories I like to carry around when at work or traveling.

GeekPod 100 Black - 100 Hour Per Charge External iPod Battery Pack    BG 15-21-130 External Laptop Battery  
List Price: $150.00
Our Price: $69.99
You Save $80.01!    
List Price: $299.99
Our Price: $199.99
You Save $100.00!    
ipodbatteryblacksm.jpg

This tiny lithium iPod battery powers your iPod for 100+ hours per charge. Also, powers most cell phones and PDAs w/ optional mobile tips pack. Also available in the color white.

And if you wants some kick in pants lpng lasting power, then try plug'n into this bad boy !

games_04.jpg

Check out this site for some other mini power sources with long lasting power that will last almost a week playing st8 on your PSP or Ipod without recharging . They also carry an assortment of external power pack for all kinds of electronical toys.

Click me to view  !

I dont think they offer anything for a blender,  so you might wanna hold onto the inverter just in case you need to make a couple of frozen strawberry daquri's at the camp out !
40__s.gif

laugh.gif

Back