question about smithabusa 12v power harness

hemi

Registered
bought the 12v power harness that connects to the front running lights from smithabusa a while back, to use for my gps to have accessory on power. My gps uses a typical usb cord for the power. What cord are u guys using to splice into the connector to plug into smithabusa's harness? Should i use a normal 120v ac charger that has pos/neg leads, shop the wire and splice it to his connector. Would it work to use the car charger that is supplied with the gps, just chop the cig lighter end off and splice it to the connector for his harness. Basically, kind of confused how people are hooking up their accessory chargers into the harness. Pics would work wonders!!!

I had him wire it to an accessory plug(cig.lighter,etc) which I mounted to the upper dash under the windscreen.This way it is multi-use.
Best to contact him about the wiring? :beerchug:

double check, but if your GPS unit is powered by a USB cord it should only run on 5V not 12V.
We have a product for charging USB powered devices

currently a garmin 255w, but looking to purchase the zumo 550 very soon. Sounds like if i just chop the cig lighter connector off, crimp/solder the pos. and neg. leads onto the connector that goes into the male connector of the harness, this should work fine, correct? My confusion is on the charger cord, it's just a single wire cord, cut one end off and it's like a mini coax, di-electric around the center conductor and steel braiding around the di-electric. Not sure which i would use for the pos and neg pins. Sorry if this sounds confusing

currently a garmin 255w, but looking to purchase the zumo 550 very soon. Sounds like if i just chop the cig lighter connector off, crimp/solder the pos. and neg. leads onto the connector that goes into the male connector of the harness, this should work fine, correct? My confusion is on the charger cord, it's just a single wire cord, cut one end off and it's like a mini coax, di-electric around the center conductor and steel braiding around the di-electric. Not sure which i would use for the pos and neg pins. Sorry if this sounds confusing

Well then here you then! These are the Powerlet Garmin adapters!

Whitehorse Gear - Search results for: 'usb'

You got it right Hemi, it is very simple to cut the cigarette end off and wire it into the accessory plug.

I did this same procedure for my Garmin 780, but had the standard red and black wires when I cut off the cigarette adapter. If you have cut off the end and you have something that looks like a coax cable, the middle would be the hot and the outside (metal braiding) would be the ground.

You got it right Hemi, it is very simple to cut the cigarette end off and wire it into the accessory plug.

I did this same procedure for my Garmin 780, but had the standard red and black wires when I cut off the cigarette adapter. If you have cut off the end and you have something that looks like a coax cable, the middle would be the hot and the outside (metal braiding) would be the ground.

The Garmin cigarette plugs are the USB converters!

getting ready to buy a zumo 550, found one for $600, cheapest i could find. Still having a very, very difficult time paying that much for it!!!!

The Garmin cigarette plugs are the USB converters!

Not really sure where you are going with this, but my Garmin 780 uses a different plug/outlet to power the unit. The USB plug is separate and only used to interface with a PC.

I took the power adapter for my Garmin 780 and cut the cigarette lighter end off and wired that directly into the harness for switched power. I bought a cheap cigarette adapter off of Ebay for about $5 and kept the factory one for our vehicles when needed.

Hope this clears up any confusion I may have caused.

sous, how did u wire it into the harness? Did u just chop the cord, use the braid for the neg pin and the center conductor for the pos pin on the harness? This is exactly what i did but it didn't work period. Can't understand why it wouldn't work. Even tried chopping the connector off smithabusa's harness and directly splicing to the gps/cig charger, and still nothing!!

When I cut the cigarette end off, there were 2 stranded wires, not like yours. So I installed those using the accessory harness as it was straight forward from there.

With yours, I have not seen this sort of wire used for GPS, but the outer portion should be the ground. Do you still have the cigarette adapter part? If so, grab a multimeter and do a continuity check with the center of the adapter and see which part of the wire is hooked to that. That will tell you for sure if the core of your wire is hot or if the outer portion is hot.

The usb cord did not work for me on the bike..

Like you Joker, I have a 7XX series Garmin, but Hemi has a 255 which uses the USB style adapter. I used to have a 260 (I think) and remember the USB cord for the computer interface and the cigarette adapter having the same Garmin side plug. The newer 780 I have has a separate plug for power and computer interface.

Hemi, could you post a picture of the end of the cable that you cut the cigarette adapter off of? This may help identify the issue and get you on your way.

Also, this may be a stupid question, but did the Garmin work fine with the now cut cigarette adapter before cutting the end of it off?

Back