question about smithabusa 12v power harness

ended up returning the nuvi 255w today, didn't like it all that much, and got the nuvi 1300t which seems like a very nice gps. I have been killing myself lately bc i want the zumo 550 so bad, but it's just so damn expensive. Tried to get one on ebay but lost the bid at $440 at the very last second. Anyway, the 1300t (if i actually keep this one lol) just has the normal mini usb charging cord. Currently have it hooked up to a powerlet 12v cig outlet in the truck, plugged into the battery tender lead i leave on for chargin during winter

i did try and hook the nuvi 255w up to the smithabusa harness with no luck. Chopped the cig plug, stripped out the cord, twisted the outer braid together for the neg and stripped out the center conductor for the pos. With the harness all hooked up, inserted the bare stripped wires into the pos and neg pins on the harness connector to make sure it worked before i grabbed the solder iron. Well it wouldn't work period and would not power on the gps. Not sure why i have such a problem with this stupid harness

here's a few pics. U can see i stripped the wires from the cord, connected the center conductors directly to the harness and got nothin. Kind of a crappy job, but i just wanted to make sure it worked before i put her all back together. I know the polarity is correct bc i checked it with a multimeter before chopping it. Even tried an ac charger for my comany work phone with a mini usb charging port. Checked with my multimeter which was positive and negative, cut the cord, spliced the leads onto the harness, still didn't work, wtf!!!!! Thought maybe the harness was bad, but tested the voltage at the connectors and it was receiving approximately 12vdc

sorry, typed all that and forgot to post the pictures. My computer is acting up tonight and won't load crap, will post tomorrow

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

oh youre using the car cig version. can you pop open that rectangular piece?
I think thats the traffic activation thingy :laugh: i didnt not use that one.

heres a bigger view of what i used
gusb-5v-b.jpg

Back