wired in my gps but had a quick question

hemi

Registered
wired in a 12v accessory cig lighter for my gps charger tonight, spliced the pos and neg leads to the tail light wires, using a multimeter i figured out which was + and - on the tail light. Installed the socket in the trunk (just laying there right now). Worked out good, checked with my mm and it's getting 12v. Was puttin the tail back together, checked the voltage one more time and accidently shorted the leads together. Long story short it scared the crap out of me bc all my gauges and lights went out, luckily i found the fuse box and it just blew the fuse, installed spare and it's all good now. My question is, will wiring the cig lighter to the tail light like this cause any problems such as over loading the circuit and blowin fuses all the time. I'm sure it will be fine, but wanted to ask the experts. Sorry for the long post

I went directly to the batt and fused it. I wanted the GPS on all the time to capture the total trip time, and powering the Zumo down during gas stops requires it to reload when the memory card is full with MP3 files.

your set up should be okay, the other thing you might consider is using a relay if you want ignition only power. Trigger the relay from the tail lamp circuit.

runnin my garmin, i like it powering off when i shut off the bike so i don't have to worry about it draining the battery. Once power is shut off the gps prompts if u want to leave it on or turn off, so i can just leave it on still if i want to when i stop somewhere. This setup is powered on/off by ignition bc it's on the lighting circuit

one more question, should i install an in-line fuse on the pos lead, if so what size fuse would i need

The power draw for the GPS is minimal and it will be just fine how you have it set up. You could use a basic 4 prong relay as UncleSteve suggested, but it will be fine just as it is.

You slipped the fuse question in there as I was answering your other one.

If you want, you can install a 20 Amp fuse inline to the power, but it is not really needed. The chances of the cigarette lighter shorting out and blowing the fuse are next to nothing. If there is a short of any sorts, you will end up blowing the same fuse you did earlier.

If you decide to hook up any other accessories though, I would suggest using a relay and a distribution panel of sorts to keep the circuits isolated and safe.

Like mentioned above, why not just hard wire to the battery with a inline fuse (15 or 20 amp), that way you wouldn't compromise the integrity of the wiring harness by splicing into it. The battery is right there, just slip a wire down to it and put some ring lugs on it, heck the inline fuse holder sometimes comes with enough length of wire to reach back to the trunk.

But each their own!

Install a multi gang aux fuse block, then you can run multiple things to it.

might end up wiring it straight to the battery, i was just worried about leaving the gps plugged in all the time and killing the battery. I already installed an led tail light so i had the tail light wire spliced anyway, thought this would be easier and it would power on with the ignition

i found a power outlet (cigarette lighter adapter) that i picked up cheap at radio shack with an inline fuse built in. i direct connected it right to the battery and that's a wrap. i would be a little leery if i saw the gauges acting up after install like you said.

i actually re-did it tonight and took it straight to the battery. Got me thinking about it after the fuse popped and i decided the battery option might be a little safer. Picked up another one at radio shack for like $6 with a 10A inline fuse. Just wondering, if i left the gps on all the time how long would it take to drain the batt to the point it won't start

i actually re-did it tonight and took it straight to the battery. Got me thinking about it after the fuse popped and i decided the battery option might be a little safer. Picked up another one at radio shack for like $6 with a 10A inline fuse. Just wondering, if i left the gps on all the time how long would it take to drain the batt to the point it won't start

not sure how long. i usually unplug it when im stopped for a while but that is my paranoia with batteries and i don't like to gamble when i'm out for a ride.

my 12v accessory harness can make stuff like this easier as you dont have to splice anything.

I am thinking now that i have an 08 coming up with a plug and play aux. fuse box to mount in the tail, would anyone be interested in that?

go directly to the battery always for add ons

That all depends really. For my applications (GPS, Valentine 1, Starcom1, Music Source) I used a relay hooked to the battery and a switched power source. This relay then goes to a 8 terminal distribution panel that I broke into 3 different links. I have 2 heated liners with the above listed accessories and did not want all of that power coming off of one relay. So, I acutally hooked up 2 relays to the switched power source, then to the panel, then to the accessories.

So, the relay is connected directly to the battery, but will not supply power until the bike is on. For my application, this worked the best.

man, u have more accessories on your busa than i have in my truck or service van. All i really wanted was a gps, i am addicted to them now since i first got one 3 or 4 years ago. Don't really need a music player, i just sing to myself in my helmet if i get lonely:laugh::laugh:

Back