Install for a 43T rear sprocket

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
Looking to order a Vortex Cat5 43T sprocket...which from my understanding can be used witht he 17T stock front sprocket and 530 chain.

It seems as if it would be an easy process - bolt off-bolt on. Are there any special tools, disconnections I need to be vitally aware of or is it as easy as it seems?

Cat5RR_red_L.jpg

its a bolt-on............your chain might! fit...........what color cat5

(GPW @ Jul. 12 2007,17:14) its a bolt-on............your chain might! fit...........what color cat5
Greg, I'm wanting the red/maroon as shown in the pic to go w/ my 06' maroon/black. Vortex Racing is local here in Tampa...if there were any issues they're only a short ride away.

From research here it has been stated that the stock #530 chain will fit the 43t sprocket.

PM sent.

That would be a up three tooth jump. It will be tight but it should fit, is your chain new?

(GPW @ Jul. 12 2007,19:40) That would be a up three tooth jump. It will be tight but it should fit, is your chain new?
Has about 7,000 miles, but in good condition from what I can tell...sprocket looks good too. I clean it very throroughly and pretty often.

(forceofnature @ Jul. 12 2007,19:41) Dont over torque the bolts like I did I ended up stripping 2 of my bolts.
Thanks for the heads up reminder. I don't have a TQ wrench so I tighten the living you know what out of the axle nut and very gingerly with the oil plug.

i was actually looking at the same sprocket for my 06. but alot of what i was reading is that aluminum is not the way to go for durability reasons. anyone actually run vortex sprokets and have any concerns.

(millertyme @ Jul. 12 2007,19:58) i was actually looking at the same sprocket for my 06.  but alot of what i was reading is that aluminum is not the way to go for durability reasons.  anyone actually run vortex sprokets and have any concerns.
I do.....also using a 16K tensile strength chain...no issues to report. I have been over 200 MPH during testing on two mile stretch of roadway and 194 mph at Maxton no issues to report at this time. I have the CAT five in Gold...I also keep my chain properly adjusted, not too tight and not too loose. I also have BST wheels.........

Over 75 dyno pulls at 220HP and 130 foot pounds of TQ at the rear wheel on NOS.......no problems..

New motor on the way will continue hammering it!
race.gif

FAQ's from VORTEX RACING site.
http://www.vortexracing.com/index.p....roducts

Q: DOES VORTEX MAKE A STEEL REAR SPROCKET?
A: we focus on high performance race parts and therefore only manufacture aluminum rear sprockets

Q: HOW CAN I GET A SPROCKET FOR AN AFTERMARKET WHEEL?
A: these are available by telephone order only at 800-440-3559.  You may want to have the old sprocket handy for a quick measurement.

Q: WILL AN ALUMINUM SPROCKET LAST AS LONG AS MY STOCK STEEL SPROCKET?
A: usually not.  Aluminum is for high performance and the light weight compromises longevity.  The biggest factor will be the quality and care of your chain; if it is worn or poorly maintained it will wear out your aluminum sprocket.

Q: WILL A VORTEX ALUMINUM SPROCKET HOLD UP ON MY DRAG BIKE?
A: YES! Many AMA Prostar drag teams swear by Vortex lasting longer than competing brands.

Q: HOW IS A VORTEX SPROCKET MADE DIFFERENTLY?
A: there are many ways Vortex is constructed to keep it lasting longer than others.  One way to ensure tight concentricity is to eliminate the time-saving method called 'gear hobbing' and keeping the material stationary throughout it's complete construction.  This ensures a tighter tolerance; thus making a longer lasting sprocket and freeing horsepower.  We also have our own unique tooth design that we've created to reduce wear.

Q: HOW MUCH LONGER WILL THE F5 SPROCKET LAST?
A: we tested the hardcoated sprockets on the Jordan Superbikes to last 30% longer than our standard sprocket.  And that was before we thought to coat the sprocket with PTFE!

Q: WHAT IS PTFE?
A: simply put, it is a friction-free coating similar to a non-stick cooking pan.  When coupled with the hard anodizing, this will keep your sprocket cleaner and lasting longer.  Click here for technical info on PTFE.

Back