Inflate your tires with nitrogen?

DR1300R

Keep On Trucking
Donating Member
Registered
Pappy called me yesterday and is thinking of putting nitrogen in his FJR tires..
His Hemi Charger tires have nitrogen and there is no checking the stay the same all the time..
$20 for the 2 tires what do you all think? should he or shouldn't he, pros and cons please.. ???

You can do a search this has be discussed many times here I thought about doing it for a while myself but never got around to doing it.

That is highway robbery...

What you do get is a tire that does not go up in pressure as it heats.. outside of that, no big advantage..

If you want to relate that to "warm up times" I suppose a tire inflated at 36psi is going to warm up a bit faster than one at 40psi.. (nitrogen tire is going to be at 40psi from the start)

Honestly, I would put the money in something more useful... beer for instance...

Last edited:
That is highway robbery...

What you do get is a tire that does not go up in pressure as it heats.. outside of that, no big advantage..

C'mon its only $20 bucks Randy.. Chump change for you.. :poke: :laugh:

So what are the disadvantages? any?

C'mon its only $20 bucks Randy.. Chump change for you.. :poke: :laugh:

So what are the disadvantages? any?
no disadvantages at all but the price is robbery...

Some tire shops do this for free when you buy the tires from them..

I have seen some of the methods for exchange too... just let the air out and refill with nitrogen... leaves how much "mixed air" in the tire?

The advantages listed by that site above are exactly the same as if you were to just keep your tires properly inflated.. (mostly marketing hype to sell an inert gas and pack some $$ is some guys pockets)

Last edited:
I don't care what they say about not having to check the pressure. I would check mine anyway, and you lose a little pressure doing that, so there would be no benifit for me at all. Like the man said, spend the $20 on beer or make a servwers day & tip big! :whistle:

My shop does it for free...there is no disadvantage...in fact it's the only way to go.

There is less fluctuation in pressure from hot to cold...you run a pound or two more on your cold pressure...but the tread heats up just the same. The nitrogen holds it setting MUCH better than compressed air, also if you don't change your tires very often (don't ride much) the compressed air has ozone in it which degrades the inside of your tire...NITROGEN is the shid!!!!

Been using it for 3 or 4 years now :thumbsup:

+1 for Nitrogen. Have used it in my stuff for years. For me it's the only way to go.

the key is filling the tires with DRY nirogen vs. WET air. The 20 dollar charge is just to excessive and unless you really need precise/repaetable tire pressures & tire growth I wouldn't pay it.

Makes for one hell of a blow out. I would not do that for bike tires..

maybe you are thinking of Hydrogen?

My tires are inflated to 42 psi no matter what gas I put in them. The nitrogen just doesn't expand like air when it gets hot so the pressure remains constant.

I get it for free but have to go to the dealer to do it, since I check my air pressure regardless I would have to keep going back not worth my time. If I had to pay for it I definitely wouldn't do it on my bike unless they offered some kind of time deal where you got for 20 to fill your tires for a year or something like that.

"Hey everybody! Fill your tires with nitrogen and the pressure won't go up as the temp goes up." :rofl:

At times the level of gullibility on this board astounds me. :banghead:

Would someone PLEASE google "combined gas law"....

cheers
ken

Back