Temp's not the only thing dropping here

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
And over the last week I didnt make a big deal about it until I ended up riding home in the cold rain yesterday. My bike was not responding properly, it felt like it was drifting a lot, and felt really strange. Well tonight the Temp is now 47*F, and gonna drop into the 30's this morning, so on my way into work I thought I would check my tire pressure.

Umm, can the gauge be right....26 Lbs front, and almost the same for the rear...Recheck, umm, yup it is that low. Spent 10 minutes trying to fenagle the darn gas station 10" solid air hose adapter upto my valve stems. Ok, I won that battle, now lets see if it rides any different. OMG, Im on a different bike, wow I didn't realize how much a few pounds of air could make in a tire.

Since Im gonna keep riding until 10*F, should I consider filling the tires up with something like Nitrogen, or any other suggestions? Really don't want to be filling up my tires every few days in the cold weather. Any input? And out of curiosity, was I real close to a Dangerous situation having only 26Lbs of air in both tires?

You'll be fine. Remember as the temps drop. Ride a little and get the tires up to temp some what then check for air pressure. I usually check my tire pressure every two weeks.

I wouldn't worry about using special gases in your tires. Just check them more frequently untill the outside air temp has stabilized.
cool.gif

And over the last week I didnt make a big deal about it until I ended up riding home in the cold rain yesterday. My bike was not responding properly, it felt like it was drifting a lot, and felt really strange. Well tonight the Temp is now 47*F, and gonna drop into the 30's this morning, so on my way into work I thought I would check my tire pressure.

Umm, can the gauge be right....26 Lbs front, and almost the same for the rear...Recheck, umm, yup it is that low. Spent 10 minutes trying to fenagle the darn gas station 10" solid air hose adapter upto my valve stems. Ok, I won that battle, now lets see if it rides any different. OMG, Im on a different bike, wow I didn't realize how much a few pounds of air could make in a tire.

Since Im gonna keep riding until 10*F, should I consider filling the tires up with something like Nitrogen, or any other suggestions? Really don't want to be filling up my tires every few days in the cold weather. Any input? And out of curiosity, was I real close to a Dangerous situation having only 26Lbs of air in both tires?
thats funny you bring this up. I had the same problem on my bike. I was riding on some twisty roads 2 up, and I told my wife she wasnt being a good passenger. She asked what i meant and i told her it felt like she was messin up the balance of the bike in the corners.. well decided to stop off and put some air in the tires, and ill be DAYUM'D, it was a whole new bike. Keep that air folks.

A few pounds definitrly makes a difference. I was riding my bike for quite a while a few pounds light and didn't know there was something wrong since I just started riding. The end of the season came and I took the bike to the shop for work and when I got it back after inspection man what a difference. Felt weird at first but I learned I was now riding a different bike with better turning characteristics.

+1 THE AIR IS NO JOKE! IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE W/ JUST A FEW POUNDS UNDER IT'S NORMAL PRESSURE. I'M A STICKLER ABOUT THE PRESSURE. YOU HAVE TO REALIZE THAT'S YOUR AZZ ON THAT BIKE SO TAKE PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES.

Nitrogen is completely unnecessary -It makes a difference when you are racing and need to control tire circumfrence to within fractions of an inch. Aluminum rims seem to be prone to leakage at the bead due to surface oxidation which will be worse if you ride where they salt the roads. I would also make sure you get new stems at each tire change and, as everyone mentioned, check air at least weekly. I try to get a routine going, or I forget.

I think the tire pressure should be checked before every ride - together with the rest of pre-flight inspection.

Let's say you came back from the previous ride during which you got a puncture resulting in a very slow leak. The next day you take the bike with let's say 20 psi in them, and decide to go for some speed runs - nothing major - just middle of triple digits, and then head for some twisties. See what can happen?
__                                      
Igor
<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkred'>HumpMod.com</span> <span style='color:darkred'>- The easy way</span></span>

You'll be fine.  Remember as the temps drop.  Ride a little and get the tires up to temp some what then check for air pressure.  I usually check my tire pressure every two weeks.
+1

If you don't ride it just a "little", you could end up with too much PSI.

On average, a MC tire will lose about 1 PSI per week, but as a precautionary measure, check them prior to each ride, as suggested more than once above. Why worry about the hassle and wasted time going to a service station? Get yourself a pressure gauge and bicycle tire pump from Walmart! It just takes a few minutes to adjust the pressure in both tires!

Great input people...Thanks! Gonna sound silly, but I never considered the fact that a bicycle tire pump would work, I will make sure to get one tonight. Thanks again all.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

The temp here dropped 20 degrees since yesterday. I should have checked the pressure before leaving for work this morning, but was running late. Almost lost the Busa in a corner as the front tire started sliding out. I saved it, but the pucker factor of that one was off the charts.

funny, that exact same thing hapened to me this morning, almost felt like the front wheel was loose or someting. I'm worried though about bringing it up to the proper pressue, only to warm later that day and having way too much pressure.

I think the tire pressure should be checked before every ride - together with the rest of pre-flight inspection.

Let's say you came back from the previous ride during which you got a puncture resulting in a very slow leak. The next day you take the bike with let's say 20 psi in them, and decide to go for some speed runs - nothing major - just middle of triple digits, and then head for some twisties. See what can happen?
__                                      
Igor
<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkred'>HumpMod.com</span> <span style='color:darkred'>- The easy way</span></span>
+1 It is a good practice to get into a routine before each ride and check the critical things. Tires,oil level.turn signals and brake lights(often forgot), coolent level and also brake fluid. It takes just a few min. and will give you peace of mind and let you enjoy your ride even more. Just my .02 worth. In over 40 years of riding my bike has never left me stranded!

Back