I'm really enjoying my BMW R1200GS and just wanted to share.

Can you explain this?

Excellent pictures and write up.

Yo entiendo un poco espanol but can't hold a conversation yet.
Being able to speak the language is half the battle just like when they come here.
Your lucky that you can speak (3) languages so no problema para tu.

Are you taking all these pictures with your phone? If so, what one as they do look good.

The chief of police has a Gold Wing - how cool is that. :laugh:

One more thing - they say not to drink the water there - but coffee is alright ? ???

Red,
I have an iPhone with standard optics but they have a ton of adapters to mount better lenses and a new one came out recently to mount Nikkor and Canon lenses too. You could do a ton with that. I plan to upgrade and buy a kit to use larger lenses but not SLR lenses. I just don't like to carry around such a large camera anymore as I used to have a Nikon D100 with battery grip and SB800...

The shovel wielding maniac was the baby daddy for the girl I took home and she set the whole thing up thinking that I would defend her honor or something. I say, better a smashed windshield than a broken arm on me or a Manslaughter charge against me. The cops were useless so I had to go to Internal Affairs and that is how I met the commander.

It has been a fun time. You should consider coming to Mexico on a work exchange and use the opportunity to immerse yourself deeply and speak spanish fluently.

Wow, love the pictures and love the thread! I am too much of a pansy to take a motorcycle ride across Mexico. Looks like a lot of fun though.

Nice! I have a Vstrom for my commuter, personally the adventure bikes are the best bikes out there I believe. They do everything. Like a swiss army knife of motorcycles! :D

I've got over 58,000 miles on my DL1000, I have to agree...

Nice thread Projekt!

The first four pictures are of a large palatial home known as the 1001 nights (Arabian Nights or Alladin's palace) in Hermosillo that was rumored to have been built by the infamous Chapo Guzman. Actually, it was built by another narcotics trafficker (AKA CIA Employee) who's name I cannot recall at the moment.

The picture of my arm shows an infected bug bite that I think was caused by a bedbug or a spider. For a few days, I thought I could have anthrax since it looks exactly the same after the inoculation is applied. The cure? A fire roasted lime hot enough to sizzle as drops of the (hot acid) juice hit my skin around the affected area. Oh, man... That stung..

The man with the Yellow BMW GS is Jorge Platt. When I first met him, I thought he was a German Tourist but he is as Mexican as the get. Would you believe it? Looks like he is from Iowa off a corn and soybean farm.

The rusty car is a legend; it is a 1967 Dodge Coronet and I intend to own that car and restore it some day. The man in possession of the car is the father of the owner who passed away at some point in the relatively recent past. Needless to say, the car represents substantial sentimental value and he was not ready to part with it at the time of my visit.

The last pics are of the Ultima Edicion VW Beetle built in 2004. This particular car has something 4309 kilometers on the odometer. It has been sitting in storage most of its life and is in pristine condition with fuel injection and A/C.

Alladin's Palace 1.jpg

Alladin's Palace 2.jpg

Alladin's Palace 3.jpg

Alladin's Palace 4.jpg

Anthrax infection.jpg

Pair of GS bikes Mercado Municipal.jpg

Jorge Platt with 05 GS.jpg

67 Coronet.jpg

VW Ultima Edicion 2004 (3).jpg

VW Ultima Edicion 2004 (2).jpg

Nice update.

So the home is not used anymore, right?
No respect for other peoples property?

Bug bite, need to sleep in your clothes? to be safe. :laugh:
Hope you heal up soon.

So it looks like you still need a trunk on your bike to match Jorge's. :whistle:

If you get the Dodge some day your going to need a car hauler to bring it back to the states.

So when are you going back to Mexico?

Other than the bug bite it looks like it was a pretty good trip.

I hope your kidding.
I live in a border state and get the real deal of how it is in mexico.
Like the other poster said i would never step foot in that 3rd world country

Don't believe everything you see on the news. That all is designed to scare pansy asses from being tourists down here. It is our government's way of stimulating the economy of the US Virgin Islands and Hawaii. Mexico is as chill as I have ever known it. Of course, I won't go around poking my nose in valleys I do not belong in so that is my safety net. No riding on the open road at night either.

Fair enough. Stay out of there. It is your choice...

I hope your kidding.
I live in a border state and get the real deal of how it is in mexico.
Like the other poster said i would never step foot in that 3rd world country

shade

Tell me, if you will, about these people giving you the reality on the ground in Mexico?

People calling Mexico a third world country are doing nothing but expressing their bigotry against that place.

Yes, there is continued cartel violence and extensive evidence of such. However, you need to remember that cartel violence is against other cartels and generally does not involve members of the public. Cartels have taken and concentrated their war against one another and go out of their way to meet in unpopulated areas. This, so as to avoid publicity and collateral damage. The truth is that the governments of Mexico and the US have put pressure on them to check themselves or else they get wrecked.

The business is a big money maker and the country you call third world is not third but second transitioning to first. You haven't seen the country if you insist on calling it the third world. Fact of the matter is that the United States could be called third world via a myopic view from say somewhere high in the Appalachia range or down on the Reservations in the southwest.. I'll take you for a walk in the places I spend time in and where my family lives and you may realize that your high brow judgement is wrong.

Back