I'm old and went sprinting today

PocketRocket

Donating Member
Registered
I'll be 48 in a few months, and I still hit the gym as much as possible.. I've been wanting to sprint ( I was always quick ) but havent run ( really run or sprint in years... so I went out to the road , took out the trusty 150 tape . marked 50 & 100 yard lines .. wow was I sucking wind in the first sprint. 50 yards haaahhhaaa ... eewwwwwww.. So I ran a few test runs Then let'er rip. I ran a 5.7 and then a 5.4 50... I was shoot'in for a 5.0 but couldnt do it , YET !! I knew I could feel the 20 lbs. I put on this year.. Next week is the 100 yard wind sucking , one foot in front of the other , I think I can Run:)

Good on 'ya for doing that! It gets easier after the first step.

Good job!

I'm 49 and ran 3 miles this morning myself. I sure didn't break any records, however! ;)

3 miles is great !! I hit the gym but I need to increase the endurance just a tad.. The older I get the more I realize I need to do more ( not less ) . Keep running Professor :)

Just remember that stretching is very important! :laugh: I'm only a couple years behind you and find that I have less time, but need for time to get the body ready.

48, 6 miles this morning. fartleks 3 times a week...hate it but sure works in getting me to run faster (fitness test twice a year, one portion is a 1.5 mile run)

Last edited:
I'll be 48 in a few months, and I still hit the gym as much as possible.. I've been wanting to sprint ( I was always quick ) but havent run ( really run or sprint in years... so I went out to the road , took out the trusty 150 tape . marked 50 & 100 yard lines .. wow was I sucking wind in the first sprint. 50 yards haaahhhaaa ... eewwwwwww.. So I ran a few test runs Then let'er rip. I ran a 5.7 and then a 5.4 50... I was shoot'in for a 5.0 but couldnt do it , YET !! I knew I could feel the 20 lbs. I put on this year.. Next week is the 100 yard wind sucking , one foot in front of the other , I think I can Run:)

All I can say is, BE VERY CAREFUL!,

I am 48 and last year I was assistant coach for a local football team and was running drills with the 13 yr olds.

I went for a pass and pulled a Hammy, this was very painful and VERY Not Pretty. To this day I have cramps.

It sucks, but we do get old.
Just be sure to take the extra time and stretch and warm up B/4 doing too much.
Just my 2cts
Bubba

:thumbsup:

My acceptable level of sprinting :laugh:

sprint cars.jpg

I use an Android app called RunKeeper for motivation. I've always been an endurance runner and can post quick (average) times (per mile/per k) in long distances. Sprinting has never been my thing.

RunKeeper records via GPS my run, gives average speed, plots the run on the map (very accurately), can be uploaded to google maps, and saves a history of each run. It's nice to KNOW that I'm becoming more fit by looking at past times and distance versus the new marks today.

I use an Android app called RunKeeper for motivation. I've always been an endurance runner and can post quick (average) times (per mile/per k) in long distances. Sprinting has never been my thing.

RunKeeper records via GPS my run, gives average speed, plots the run on the map (very accurately), can be uploaded to google maps, and saves a history of each run. It's nice to KNOW that I'm becoming more fit by looking at past times and distance versus the new marks today.

I'm wanting something like that that will record heart also.

Maybe I can take the data logger off the bike and put it in a backpack! :)

Seriously, I wonder if there is an iphone app like that that includes HR.

I currently wear a Nike HRM that will give me time, split, and average HR. But I'd like to graph an complete run to compare conditioning.

I'm wanting something like that that will record heart also.

Maybe I can take the data logger off the bike and put it in a backpack! :)

Seriously, I wonder if there is an iphone app like that that includes HR.

I currently wear a Nike HRM that will give me time, split, and average HR. But I'd like to graph an complete run to compare conditioning.

Check this out? HRM for iPhone

3 miles is great !! I hit the gym but I need to increase the endurance just a tad.. The older I get the more I realize I need to do more ( not less ) . Keep running Professor :)

I was in great shape when I was racing dirt bikes (about 20 years ago) Late last year the wife and I started working on trying to get into better shape. We started attending local "Operation Boot Camp" sessions. I'm down 30lbs. (was as much as 38), 4â€￾s out of my jeans. My blood work has improved. Last week the doc reduced my blood pressure meds by 50%. Overall I’m in better health and reaching my goals. I want to get rid of another 30-40 lbs and hope to see that in about 3 months.

Make sure you get some good running shoes. Upfront pay the premium and go to a real running store and explain what you are doing. Make sure they are experienced and well trained. Depending on how much you run/train you will need to replace them every 3-6 months. Throw the old ones away or limit them to yard work or something. Don’t make the mistake I did. I started having problems because of mine. I pretty much wasted 2-3 months of working out because of it.

That sounds tough enough. If you ever see me running get in front of me, because something really bad must be going on behind me.:laugh:

Thats a good site "sportstracklive".Now as far as shoes . Do they REALLY make that much difference ?? I've been doing the sprints in Blackhawk boots:) When I was younger I used to just take off and seem to run all day (Ohh Youth ) but I've always really Like sprints. I do work my legs really hard at the gym ( they've always been skinny ) But over the past 2 years , I've really packed on some meat . I keep the squats at 315lb for reps, and 405lb + for single or 2-3 reps. I did do 475 a few weeks ago BUT doubt I'll go that heavy again. I'll just lighten up and go for reps. But the sprints did make my legs sore ( which surprised me ).. I'll take any advise you guys have . Thanks for the reply's..

Now as far as shoes . Do they REALLY make that much difference ??

Yep, they really do. I talked to a few people that run quite a bit and decided I'd better look deeper into it. Too many people focus on Brand. Brand and color needs to be at the bottom of the list.
Arch height is a big deal. The way you roll (in or out) your feet is a big factor. Weight comes into play. Type of training/running is important. The person doing the fitting should want to see you run and very closely look at the way you walk and be very interested in your training. When shopping stores, shop sales persons as well. If they seem inexperienced, thank them and try another store or salesperson. Some of the dedicated runners I work with go through several pairs of shoes a year. One guy trains a few days on a new pair and then only wears them for one marathon. He said he once bought 20 pairs of a favorite shoe when they discontinued it. I think 250-300 miles is the normal life of most of them. The heavier we are, the more it will push us toward the lower number.

Back