Big Brother and cell phonesThe Justice Department doesn't keep statistics on requests

2hip

Registered
Brethren, just read an article on Google about gov't use of cell phone gps tracking and how they will use that against you in a court of law and developing a case...just copy a short part of the article to peruse. I never do anything illegal accept a few miles over the limit...but for me it is more about the continued abuse of privacy that has become more and more alarming...read on..

"The Justice Department doesn't keep statistics on requests for cell-phone data, according to the spokeswoman. So it's hard to gauge just how often these records are retrieved. But Al Gidari, a telecommunications lawyer who represents several wireless providers, tells NEWSWEEK that the companies are now getting "thousands of these requests per month," and the amount has grown "exponentially" over the past few years. Sprint Nextel has even set up a dedicated Web site so that law-enforcement agents can access the records from their desks—a fact divulged by the company's "manager of electronic surveillance" at a private Washington security conference last October. "The tool has just really caught on fire with law enforcement," said the Sprint executive, according to a tape made by a privacy activist who sneaked into the event. (A Sprint spokesman acknowledged the company has created the Web "portal" but says that law-enforcement agents must be "authenticated" before they are given passwords to log on, and even then still must provide valid court orders for all nonemergency requests.)"

Re: Big Brother and cell phonesThe Justice Department doesn't keep statistics on requ

just pull the battery out, then speed.

Re: Big Brother and cell phonesThe Justice Department doesn't keep statistics on requ

Guess who gets the bill for this tracking...just take a wild guess~!~

This is even more scary as quoted :

Did you know that the government (NSA, CIA, FBI) can listen to conversations around your cell phone, even when it is turned off? Unless the battery is taken out, they can hear everything that you say. Does this make you uneasy?

Cell phone users, beware. The FBI can listen to everything you say, even when the cell phone is turned off.

A recent court ruling in a case against the Genovese crime family revealed that the FBI has the ability from a remote location to activate a cell phone and turn its microphone into a listening device that transmits to an FBI listening post, a method known as a "roving bug." Experts say the only way to defeat it is to remove the cell phone battery.

"The FBI can access cell phones and modify them remotely without ever having to physically handle them," James Atkinson, a counterintelligence security consultant, told ABC News. "Any recently manufactured cell phone has a built-in tracking device, which can allow eavesdroppers to pinpoint someone's location to within just a few feet," he added.

THE BLOTTER RECOMMENDS
Federal Source to ABC News: We Know Who You're Calling
FBI Secret Probes: 3,501 Targets in the U.S.
Click Here to Check Out the Latest Brian Ross Investigates Webcast on CIA Secret Prisons
According to the recent court ruling by U.S. District Court Judge Lewis Kaplan, "The device functioned whether the phone was powered on or off, intercepting conversations within its range wherever it happened to be."

The court ruling denied motions by 10 defendants to suppress the conversations obtained by "roving bugs" on the phones of John Ardito, a high-ranking member of the family, and Peter Peluso, an attorney and close associate of Ardito, who later cooperated with the government. The "roving bugs" were approved by a judge after the more conventional bugs planted at specified locations were discovered by members of the crime family, who then started to conduct their business dealings in several additional locations, including more restaurants, cars, a doctor's office and public streets.

"The courts have given law enforcement a blank check for surveillance," Richard Rehbock, attorney for defendant John Ardito, told ABC News.

Judge Kaplan's ruling said otherwise. "While a mobile device makes interception easier and less costly to accomplish than a stationary one, this does not mean that it implicated new or different privacy concerns." He continued, "It simply dispenses with the need for repeated installations and surreptitious entries into buildings. It does not invade zones of privacy that the government could not reach by more conventional means."

But Rehbock disagrees. "Big Brother is upon us...1984 happened a long time ago," he said, referring to the George Orwell futuristic novel "1984," which described a society whose members were closely watched by those in power and was published in 1949.

The FBI maintains the methods used in its investigation of the Genovese family are within the law. "The FBI does not discuss sensitive surveillance techniques other than to emphasize that any electronic surveillance is done pursuant to a court order and ongoing judicial scrutiny," Agent Jim Margolin told ABC News.

WHAT happened to FREEDOM:rulez:

WHAT happened to FREEDOM:rulez:

I think I remember hearing the words a lot the past few years that "We have to give some freedom, to have our freedom" yeah, sounded stupid then, and sounds stupid now.

Last edited:

Crap, my iPhone battery doesn't come out!

I guess I should leave my phone at home before my next crime spree or better yet sneak it into my brother's car so the police just think I'm with him! That sounds better.

Time to go to the bank. :beerchug::laugh:

cellphones are not private.....niether are emails. they never have been. they are not secure. really people? this is 2010 and people still do not understand these things.

Let me give you some insight. This is done as a tool for tracking missing children or persons. Also most often used to gather circumstantial evidence pertaining to the location of someone at a specific time during crimes ranging from murder to theft. These are not easily obtained and need a judge to sign the warrant to even get these records. This isn't something that can be easily abused. The federal law enforcement agencies get this information easier but they do still need to jump through the same hoops. As far as speeding or other such issues there is no judge in the world that sign a warrant to check on who is speeding and who isn't. Concerning the patriot act I would rather have them listen in from time to time and catch the occasional terrorist then have a greater chance of another 9/11. This is just my opinion but I have more experience with this then some others.

It is scary with RFID and the size of elec components that are on the cutting edge...it doesn't pay to be the bad guy when you get caught.

If someone is worried about being tracked threw their cell phone, they should just give up their phones.

Back