Ignition Fuse Keeps Blowing?

hayabusaboy

Registered
Hi Guys,

My 2000 Busa with 30,000 miles has just started blowing the 15amp ignition fuse (in the left side of the cockpit).

I was out on a days blast on Wednesday just gone when I stopped for fuel after 2 hours of riding. Filled her up, turned the ignition on, clutch in and thumbed the starter. Nothing! :banghead: There was no crank and almost immediately my clock went blank then showed four lines (like this _ _ _ _ ) and my temperature guage went straight in to the red and stayed there. Then the clock reads CHECK. I carry a fair few spare fuses, so changed it and it did the same thing 4 times before being left for 20 mins (went for a McDonalds!) and with a new fuse fired in to life and has been fine for the last few days until doing the same thing again this morning! :banghead:

Question is, does the fact that it shows the lines, says CHECK and the temp guage is going to the red identifying what is causing the fuse to blow? I was leaning towards the kill switch as that is what it the bike shows if you leave it in the off position?

A full strip down, clean and re-grease is on the cards in 2 weeks, as she lives out in the cold all year round, only covered when not used for a period of time (which is very rare!!). It's not rained here on the South Coast of the UK for over a week, however is only 1-3 degrees at the moment.

What do you think guys? Any ideas? ???

Electrical gremlins can be a real SOB to figure out, been through a few in my lifetime.

Well, if you never have spliced into the wiring harness for anything (upgrades, add-on's, etc) start checking relays, one of them could be sticky or gone bad on you (happened to me before). I would start tracing back from the ignition system on back.

If the wiring harness has been tapped into, thats the first place to look.

Good luck on your efforts. With some patience and perseverance, you will get it.

as she lives out in the cold all year round, only covered when not used for a period of time (which is very rare!!). It's not rained here on the South Coast of the UK for over a week, however is only 1-3 degrees at the moment.

my guess is condensation may have reached a connector or something, causing a short which in turn blows the fuse. best of luck with trouble shooting.

Thanks for the replies guys. I did have the alarm system removed in Sept and had to have a few of the wires re-soldered, so will take off the back end and start there! I hate electrics!:laugh:

Thanks for the replies guys. I did have the alarm system removed in Sept and had to have a few of the wires re-soldered, so will take off the back end and start there! I hate electrics!:laugh:

Definitely look there 1st. I bet one of the insulation wrappings is not doing it's job and allowing hot wires to touch or arc. Go through and make sure everything is insulated well. when in doubt, double wrap it.

This scenario has happened to me before.

Thanks Nuckaman. We are deep under snow at the moment, so as soon as it warms a lttle I will be out there to have a look!

Sitrep: After pulling every plug in the starter circuit and drowning them and the fuse box in WD40, not had a problem since! Looks like a little condsentation got in there!!:thumbsup:

Now just the 150 mile ride in the morning to the midlands through the snow and artic blast. Will be tucking right under that double bubble!

Thanks for all your help lads, much appreciated

you, sir have ballz of steel riding through that kind of weather :bowdown: .....be safe and stay warm :)

Kromdom, nothing will keep me from riding my Busa!! She rides all year round, no matter what the weather! Complete strip down and deep clean starts on Sat, looking forward to getting my hands dirty! :thumbsup:

Dielectric grease is always a good thing for preventing corrosion and moisture for electrical connections, but its not without its cons. It does not play well with rubber/silicone gaskets over a LONG (never experienced this yet only read it on the caution labels) period of time ... tends to eat them. lol

Back