idle speed keep dropping

eynlai

Registered
Okay, I've posted before about my new 03 busa bogging out during shifting and I found that it was the idle was too low (975 rpm?). I raised it to specs and that fixed the problem. But now I find that I have to raise the idle back up to specs at least once a month, this is my third time now since I got the bike in mid-March. It keeps dropping about 2 weeks of riding.

Am I the only one that's experiencing this? Does anyone else have to constantly raise their idle back to specs like I do? Meaning once or more per month.

Or is it back to the dealer under warranty?

I've got 3800 miles on it now. Time for a 4K maintanence anyways, but I like to hear from you guys instead of some "pro" at the dealer.

Thanks

is the idle screw turning by it self? with a touch up paint, mark the screw after you adjust the ilde & watch it for 2 weeks, if the mark moved it means that spring on the screw is week, you have to replace it.

Okay, I've posted before about my new 03 busa bogging out during shifting and I found that it was the idle was too low (975 rpm?).  I raised it to specs and that fixed the problem.  But now I find that I have to raise the idle back up to specs at least once a month, this is my third time now since I got the bike in mid-March.  It keeps dropping about 2 weeks of riding.

Am I the only one that's experiencing this?  Does anyone else have to constantly raise their idle back to specs like I do? Meaning once or more per month.

Or is it back to the dealer under warranty?  

I've got 3800 miles on it now.  Time for a 4K maintanence anyways, but I like to hear from you guys instead of some "pro" at the dealer.

Thanks
Mine does similar. (UK 2003 model)

But I've found that has more miles has been put on it, it does it less often. (At 10,000 now)

I think next time I have to lift the tank to add a couple of hundred rpm's, I'll paint the screw as suggested and see if the screw is moving with vibration.

Steve

good idea. I was thinking of the same thing last night on the phone with my ride buddy. I was thinking of using white-out, but it's all the same. I suspect that is the case because I keep my pda/phone with a Sensa stylus/pen that's a twisty (unscrews in half to change the cartridge) and more than a few times after one ride, I found the pen all the way loose like it would open to let the cartridge fall out. I think the vibration on the busa, or any bike is that powerful. But I'll still try the marker.

If the screw is winding out, you could also use a small dab of locktite brand "Lock Screw Threadlocker"

I pulled the info below off the Loctite web page
................................................................................

Lock Screw Threadlocker

Low strength for small fasteners. For small fasteners and set screws that require occasional adjustment. Fasteners will still dismantle with the usual hand tools. Maintains torque/tension relationship within specifications. Does not migrate to adjoining parts. Fast curing.

Applications
Throttle body assembly screws, choke assembly screws, mixture adjustment screws, idle control screws, body lock screws, body panel screws.
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|ohzone
Reason for Edit: "more info"|1086400193 -->

Mine drops too and I notice it at 1050 rpms because my Yoshi exhaust will backfire when engine braking. But it doesn't drop nearly as fast as yours. Maybe a 100 rpms every 4-5 months.

locktite is good stuff. back the screw out and apply it to the threads, adjust the idle and it should work. i have an 02 and havent had this issue in over 6k miles

Also, my idle doesn't dop as fast anymore. I've got 8300miles and I don't have the problem anymore that I used to have back when there was 2000-6000 miles on it.

Anyone lengthen the Idle Screw so you do not have to lift the tank? I think LoBusa's is this way...

If you've done this, email me with the 411.

firedevil.gif

I realize that I'm on this thread a month late but...I like the paint idea, and the locktite solution. I've seen the same behavior on my '03. Does anyone know if and how to get the old extended adjustor knob? I know there is a way to do it, because Schnitz sells a fuel rail that "requires moving the idle adjuster to the remote type" or something like that. I wouldn't mind not having to take off the seat and then pulling up the tank just to do a simple idle adjust. I think I should be able to do it at a stop light.

Back