I'd like your opinion on a few legal issues

Florida does not require you to have a permit to carry it in your car. The weapon can be loaded as well. It can be anywhere in the vehicle you like.
If you do not have a cwp than it cannot be on you but you can still have a loaded pistol and it will not be considered an illegal concealed weapon. Loose, loaded and under your seat they will frown upon and bust your balls for as long as they can but in the end you have broken no laws here.

Oh how I LOVE Florida!~!!!!!

Come to Texas, we can carry a concealed weapon with a Concealed Handgun License (CHL). A cop actually taught the course I took for the CHL. He said it saved one of his friends life when a private citizen stop to help an officer who was wounded in a gun fight.

If he's in TN like you are, then you know the drill. If they are loaded, they can't be concealed unless you have CCW. You can legally transport if without a CCW if they are unloaded and separated (by 2 moves, if I remember correctly)(gun under seat and ammo locked in trunk or glovebox). You get stopped by the police, you keep your hands on the dash and say "I'm a CCW holder, and I have weapons, would you like to see my permit" and do exactly what the officer says. If your friend isn't legal, he'd better get a good lawyer.

The hard part about 2nd amendment rights is to separate the honest, legal gun owners from the criminal element who would shoot a cop in a heartbeat. Just be legal, follow the rules and don't give the officer a reason to shoot you.

If he's in TN like you are, then you know the drill. If they are loaded, they can't be concealed unless you have CCW. You can legally transport if without a CCW if they are unloaded and separated (by 2 moves, if I remember correctly)(gun under seat and ammo locked in trunk or glovebox). You get stopped by the police, you keep your hands on the dash and say "I'm a CCW holder, and I have weapons, would you like to see my permit" and do exactly what the officer says. If your friend isn't legal, he'd better get a good lawyer.

Thats what i was just gonna look up, what the law is in the op's state. I was lucky enough to be "mentored" By 2 good friends when i was in the process of getting my permit, one being a local cop and the other being a guy with alot more years of carrying than i did. They stressed me big time on knowing exactly what you can and cannot have, where when etc.
In colorado you can carry anywhere in your vehicle as long as it is being used for lawful protection. It can be loaded or unloaded the difference between a ccw and non is without a permit you are not allowed to transport the firearm between say my truck in the driveway and my front door, on my person would have to be carried unconcealed.

Know your laws and know them well, i dont argue the system has issues, but when your playing with cops and firearms the wrong info can get you in a heap or worse.
I generally dont carry the gun on me in the truck unless its a quick run somewhere. With my primary gun in its holster it fits snug into a cubby on my dash, easy to get to if i need it and no suprise movement to get it if i get pulled over. Colorado officers are required to disarm you during contact, i've found it a pain and makes em nervous pulling a holster off my belt(i wont hand officer an unholstered loaded gun, tip i got from a buddy they appreciate when the trigger is not accesible) Hand them my permit, liscense, holstered gun and give him the serial number off of it. Have yet to have any issues:cheerleader:

I guess what I don't understand is why a person doesn't know what the laws are for the State, County you live in? These laws are passed in elections, or passed by politicians that we voted for.

how many are members of the NRA? they do a good job of informing members of legislation that is being voted on, and which elected officials are anti-gun ownership.

how many are members of the NRA? they do a good job of informing members of legislation that is being voted on, and which elected officials are anti-gun ownership.

I was a member of the NRA for many years, and finally all the advertising and the calling me 3 times a week to try to get me to buy stupid stuff made me cancel my membership. I really think they could be doing better things with their members money than what they do. I'm not saying they don't do alot, I'm strictly saying they could do so much more if it wasn't for their wasted resources... :banghead:

I was a member of the NRA for many years, and finally all the advertising and the calling me 3 times a week to try to get me to buy stupid stuff made me cancel my membership. I really think they could be doing better things with their members money than what they do. I'm not saying they don't do alot, I'm strictly saying they could do so much more if it wasn't for their wasted resources... :banghead:

I agree, and sometimes I am not completely on board with thier position on specific issues. However they are the biggest and best resource we have to fight anti-gun legislation.

I just think the whole system is stupid.. example If someone is arrested in one state on a felony yet in another state its perfectly legal then shouldnt the felony just fallow the person in the state it was illegal in. Not the whole usa? I mean I raised my hand and swore to uphold the constutition yet it only applies inside my house? or different in different states? Even Russians can have an AA12 yet we cant here in the land of the free... I just think if someone is a good American citizen then let'em do whatever they want as long as they arent hurting someone else. Carrying a gun under a seat and have no priors isnt an reason to take someone to jail..No-one was threatened or hurt.. Its just another way to make someone else a criminal and disarm the public..

. Carrying a gun under a seat and have no priors isnt an reason to take someone to jail..

The guy that killed my brother during a traffic stop had no priors and a gun under the seat, a life could have been saved had he been pulled over sometime prior and arrested for the gun that was being illegally carried.

Sorry to hear about your brother ( my family is full of Leos ) . On the other side of the coin how many lives could be saved in tragic events if someone was carring permitted or not? School shootings , mall shootings, public speaking events , road rage. muggings & rapes.
The dude that broke in on my mom didnt have a gun He had a knife , do we do like England and outlaw knives? You cant stop stupid all the laws and rules and permits cant / wont stop stupid. The laws cant bring my mom back..

I just think the whole system is stupid.. example If someone is arrested in one state on a felony yet in another state its perfectly legal then shouldnt the felony just fallow the person in the state it was illegal in. Not the whole usa? I mean I raised my hand and swore to uphold the constutition yet it only applies inside my house? or different in different states? Even Russians can have an AA12 yet we cant here in the land of the free... I just think if someone is a good American citizen then let'em do whatever they want as long as they arent hurting someone else. Carrying a gun under a seat and have no priors isnt an reason to take someone to jail..No-one was threatened or hurt.. Its just another way to make someone else a criminal and disarm the public..

I understand your point, but don't you feel that the people of a state, a county or even a city have the right to make laws for themselves. this is a very slippery slope and we even fought a war over "State Rights".

Yes, in America we have the right to own firearms.....However, you may live in a State that has chosen to pass laws to limit who can purchase, or what they can purchase....even how they can be transported.

that is also part of the Constitution, and an important part of what makes this country great.

Most crimes that are felonies in one state are felonies in an another....I'm sorry I don't buy the arguement that you get a clean slate when you cross the state line. Either your a felon or your not, maybe over-simplified but it works. I believe there has to be some limits on who/where/how can have guns, but I'd lean much closer to the NRA side than the Brady bunch side.

Skydivr.. Here's what I meant , If I can explain it correctly. Example in In one state it my be a felony to have a gun in the vecicle under the seat, ( so you get a felony ) in another state its just fine / ok to have it there.. So why should it be a nation wide felony when theres millions doing the same thing and its ok..? If a state want to make it a felony then let it only be a felony in that state only .. You would have only broken that states laws..not a national law..
I guess I was just born 200 years too late..
200 years ago Lil jonny could ahve taken his rifle to school for show and tell. Now its a crime. Have Kids gotten dumber or have parents gotten too passive and dumb themselves?
I think its called being responsible for your actions and proper upbringing. More rules and laws cant stop stupid it just make more $$ for courts and control over the good - honest working class Americans.
I hate laws and rules , Its like each time thers a new laws , there goes more freedom. I dont need to be controled . I think as long as I dont bother anyone or threathen them then Just leave me the F alone .. If I do stupid then pop a cap in my A*rse and so be it. It should be just like in nature let the strong survive and the weak die off. The way the worlds going the stupid keep breeding with the stupid & living off the strong .. Rules and laws created this too . Sorry I got off topic.... I guess there should be balance in all things and it just seems its all out of balance...

I had my car broken down on the side of the road when out of the blue a cop showed up. He asked what was going on becuase it was 3 or 4 in the morning. Then he asked if I had any guns in the car because he saw my 460 case on the back seat (had to send it to S&W for a recall). I told him about the gun and said I had a loaded gun under the seat and that I also had a concealed permit. He took that and my license and went back to his car. My buddy and me were trying to figure out who to call to get to work becuase we were going to poor concrete that day and there is no excuse for missing a 400yd deck poor. My buddy started calling people and I went to reach in my car for my phone and the cop jumps out of his truck yelling at me saying "thats not a good idea" WTF?! So I had to wait for him to take his sweet time to check my stuff. I couldn't believe it. I am used to people in Iraq rolling up to our check points with AK's sticking out the window. We didn't even treat Iraqis like I got treated. I think it's rediculous the way police treat people with guns in our country that have them legally. I also agree with you that the justice system is rediculous. Tough luck for your buddy.

Put yourself in their shoes for just a second...

1. Most officers are killed on traffic stops...
2. He doesn't know you from squat
3. When you were in Iraz I bet you had someone that had your back with some awesome firepower...

he didn't shoot you he just told you it wasn't a good idea...

Back