Icon Anthem jeans - anybody have em?

busa_bill

Life - tastes like chicken!
Donating Member
Registered
After baking almost everyday on a 100 mile commute last summer, I am thinking about ditching the leather knee draggers for a set of Kevlar reinforced jeans. Icon has the Anthem and Recon, with the Anthem looking like it has a few more features. I always wear jeans at work, so this could be a good option.

Curious if anyone has actually had the occasion to "use" the Kevlar panels and how they held up in the real world. Would be interested to hear if it really works or if more of a sales gimmic. Common sense is telling me these jeans are for the 10-20 mph spill and not at all for any type of highway speed. IE: 55+

Thanks,
Bill

(busa_bill @ May 01 2007,03:35) After baking almost everyday on a 100 mile commute last summer,  I am thinking about ditching the leather knee draggers for a set of Kevlar reinforced jeans. Icon has the Anthem and Recon, with the Anthem looking like it has a few more features. I always wear jeans at work, so this could be a good option.

Curious if anyone has actually had the occasion to "use" the Kevlar panels and how they held up in the real world. Would be interested to hear if it really works or if more of a sales gimmic. Common sense is telling me these jeans are for the 10-20 mph spill and not at all for any type of highway speed. IE: 55+

Thanks,
Bill
Well, while baking I like to wear a good chefs apron. But that is just me...lol.
laugh.gif

I am not too sure about these pants, I would like to know as well..

lurk.gif

I am thinking about these as well. If I had to guess I would say they are probably not as durable as leather but better than standard jeans.

To do a comparison:

The thickness / durability of jeans, specifically of the denim material, is measured by ounces of yarn per yard of denim fabric.

To compare
~~~~~~~~
Soft denim shirt - 10-11 oz.
Standard jeans from levi - ~12.5 oz.
Dickies "carpenter quality" work jeans - 14 oz.
ICON riding pants - 14 oz.

The benefit of the ICON jeans is the added support in vital areas such as hips, knees and buttocks but also the addition of Kevlar in those areas as well(on some models.)

Son of a gun, I think I just talked myself into a pair.

In addition I am reading that the pair with the "vents" in the crotch and in back of the knee REALLY help in the summer. The person writing a review recommended not wearing them in temps below 75F if you didn't have anything covering your jeans.

If you guys look at the thread about my recent spill, I had them on at the time. No rash from the waist down as a result but mine was not a high speed slide by any means. The ICONs held up and don't even show any signs of being down. But I do have some bruising on my hips and thigh so I know there was contact in those areas. In my opinion, they have been proven under fire!

I have the anthem pants and they are pretty cool. They are thicker than regular jeans and so in the summer you are going to feel it. They may provide extra protection from sliding but not impact.

I am starting to wear my regular jeans because its so hot. Haven't gotten to the point of just wearing shorts. Someone needs to make a really light and breathable protective armor for the hot summer days.

I am looking to get some BDUs and maybe some knee pads underneath but not sure what to do for the elbows.

Back