I WENT DOWN 1 TOOTH (SPROCKET) IN FRONT

TAZEONE

Registered
I did this to my BUSA and now i'm gonna do this to my R1,
but the tech who works on my bike says the R1 will change dramatically, like the speedo will be faster by 18% if I go 1 tooth down in sprocket size.

how come my BUSA doesn't seem to be really off?
or is it?

do I need a yellow box for a 16T sprocket?
anyone with this mod have any advice?

thanks.

The answer is yes..... Going down one in front is the equiv of going up three in the rear! Most Busa's are off around 7-10% from the factory.....

okay, so then it's the same as my R1? the speedo will be off? like by 18% or anywhere up there?
can this be corrected without a yellow box? that sucks if I have to spend the money on a yellow box.

<!--EDIT|TAZEONE
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083574408 -->

One tooth down in front will certainly effect your speedo, it will be off quite a bit. Yellow box should help but I'm wondering about your Odometer. I mean, with a one tooth drop your going to pretty high speed readings relative to your actual speed. So what I am wondering is are you going to end up with 20% more miles reading than you actually have? Or does a healer fix this as well....?

I've got a yellow box I'm putting on later this week.. How does the sprocket change affect the mileage I've never understood the connection. I don't think the speedometer cable and odemeter or connected to the same readouts
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?? Plus when I clock my miles by the mile marker which i occassionally do it seems to me on target???

Confused about the mileage
rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

I'm not sure if the odometer sensor is seperate or connected.... But, I do know the yellowbox/speedo healer will fix the problem! Best way to compare where you are at now is to find an open highway with mile marker signs. Pull up to one, reset your trip odometer and go about 3-5 miles (using the signs). stop at the last sign and see what your tripodometer says....... This should give you an idea of how far off you are.

Yup, speedo & odometer are connected, but vary differing amounts from the factory. The odometer on most all Jap bikes is near spot on with fresh tyres but the speedo's are all from 5% - 12% fast .. who knows why ?!

Anyways yes changing final drive ratio will throw your speedo / odo more out of whack. Yellow box is good, but speedohealer is better ! Allows more adjustment range, can emit test signals for linearity testing / calibration. Also now speedohealer v2.0 can recall & display your top speed at the press of a button ! great for drags or if you were too busy looking in your mirrors
biggrin.gif

Just plugs in-line between your speedo sensor pickup at the countershaft and your dash. You can optimise for Odometer and/or Speedometer.

www.speedohealer.com

Oh did I mention speedohealer is cheaper too ? And their website is excellent with tutorials / pics, online calculator based on actual (measured) or estimated (based on your mods) and even customised instructions generator !

Shipping and customer service for my unit were excellent, highly recommend ;)

thanks everyone.
that sucks it changes the speedo so much, but
the price you pay for mods these days

I have -1 down in the front and I am WAY off....

When I am running about 65, I beleive the speedo is reading 90.

that sucks big fat ones. I was wondering why my bike was goin the same speed as everyone else, but I was rollin at like 85 - 90
wink.gif

yup... I haven't bought a yellow box to correct it yet and I am not sure if I ever will... When I can afford the turbo, I think I will go back to stock gearing anyway...

Cloud

Dizzzam, that was my next mod, O well i will just have to get the speedohealer. I got to know how fast I am going when on the highway.

yes, I feel the same way, I feel cheated if I'm doin 150 and really only goin 130
I hear its actually 10% off stock outta the dealership so that you are fooled so that
when you do hit high speeds, you say "whoa, i'm goin to fast, time to slow down".

F that, i'm gonna get a speedohealer.

What sucks more is that I bought the speedohealer a few weeks ago. If i had known about the v.2 I would have waited. DAmn!!!! Oh well. I guess i will miss out on the visual of my true last top speed!!!
mad.gif

Back