I was a squid, for just a few minuets

mjn

Hillbilly Deluxe
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, I am the first one to say "wear your gear, all the time!"

Guys, this is a confession; I rode today, for just a little bit..........without gear. Yes, yes, really! The guy that criticizes others for not wearing the proper gear, rode without today........dam, it was fun!

Here's the deal. It's about 100 degrees here today. I have the list from hell to get done. Fix the fence, replace a couple of sprinklers, weed-eat the lawn, ( about a 1 hr ordeal), plus 10 or 21 other items. I got them done. I was HOT! I needed 2 little irrigation parts. I went and got 'em.......on the bike.
It was incredibly invigorating!..........I also found out something. I want to buy an extra wheel and rotor. My tire has 2700 miles on it. It is toast. (wear bars). Funny thing about performance tires, when they get down that far, they don't flex as much. I did a few minor 1st gear wheelies on the way to the irrigation store,....no big deal, just a couple of 15-30 mph wheelies. I noticed that ea time I twisted, the rear would spin a little first......note to self....

On the way home, no traffic, no pedestrians, ( I live a ways out from town), I twsisted again.....this time, I leaned a little forward. That dam B56 just spun up.......quick!....I thought.....what the hell?....its toast anyway!.......I twisted some more.....smoke......dam thing fried the tire all the way thru 2ne gear! Left a mark over 70' long.

I laughed, LOUD, in my helmet. Here I am, a dumb azz 43 yr old, smokin' the tire all the way down the street......in shorts and tennis shoes.........

I quickly went to my house and parked the Busa. Laughed a little more.....and went back to work.

The perfect "break" for my day. I wasn't tired any more. I wasn't sweating any more........I was smiling.

Was it stupid?......Yea, it was. Do I care?....Naw, it made my day.

I LOVE this bike! And I think I'm gonna keep another semi- worn tire around for fun!!!!

Just had to share.

Don't fry me.......I'll wear my gear next time...........Promise!
biggrin.gif

Just dont make a habit out of it ok, we like to have you around for story time...

Be careful

I did!

I don't ride without gear. EVER.

Today,.....well, I was hotter than hell. Had a quick erand to do.....and there was the bus.....calling to me..... Had to ride it. Just had to.

I'll probably never do it again.....(the riding with no gear part) But it was a fun ride!...Felt like a 18 yr old!!!!!

I went back (in the truck) later and checked out the mark..............DAM! it was long! LOL.....I can'
t stop laughing......................................

Do I need professional help?
rock.gif

No you don't need help, you just had an urge. It was probably calling you like crack calls a smoker.
biggrin.gif

There is nothing wrong with that...really its all an odds thing..if you wore your gear 9 times out of every 10 rides then you have a way better chance of not wrecking while naked vs the guys who never wear gear.

Its not that bad here so I wear my gear even if it was 100 here i still think id wear it though, I might look into some light textile gear though...I am pretty much the only guy in town that wears gear. Or so it seemed that way today.
I must have seen 70 bikes on my ride today...not a single one of them was wearing gear. NOT ONE.

The odds are in your favor MJN, if you like it then do it!

you had fun, you came through it fine, and you will probaby do it again now that you know the joys. Just be careful

As long as you realize you should have had gear on, then I don't see the need to flame ya
wink.gif

Sometimes you just have to get it out of your system
laugh.gif

First off wear bars on rear tires are totally b/s. Yep if you get to them, order a tire. I run my rears till I see the center cord about to break through the rubber. Done this for over 15 years. Never an incident.

That's awesome man. My tire is getting low also with only 2,500 miles on it. I would love to get some Michelins but is it a big deal to match the rear tire to the front?

Well! I cannot believe this...
laugh.gif

Actually, I rode 3 miles to my Dad's last Sunday morning...shorts and a t-shirt...tennis shoes...FIRST TIME EVER that I had done something like that, but the day before I think I sweated off 10 lbs in the heat, and just couldn't put the gear on again for a 3 mile run...
blush.gif

Go ahead, rant away...it felt damn good though...not comfy enough to do it again; I was all too aware of how vulnerable I was...

Back