i used to know this stuff

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
just throwin a pc together for a friend. I gave her an' extra HD I had layin' around. So, I put the OS on the 1st one,jumper'd it as the master,then added a second HD for her kids to fug up,but, I cant get XP Pro to recongnize the 2nd HD. I have it jumper'd it to be the slave and have placed it at the end of the IDE cable.... what have I done wrong?

ideas? thx RSD.

it's recognized in Device man.disc drives... properties show it to be "working properly" but its non accessible frm my comp.

weird. thoughts?

is it an "older" hard drive? If so XP may not like it....it could also be that XP needs its updates...have you connected it to the net and updated all the crap? could be a number of things obviously, bad cable, bad drive....is the IDE cable pluged into the right IDE port on the board?? dunno...good luck with it!

Im real rusty with PC "stuff" but let me see If I can lend you a hand...

I believe DevMan is detecting "only" the HDD Pri/Sec controller, meaning that this does not really let us know that the drives are being detected properly.

Chcek the BIOS at startup to see if they HDD's are being detected properly, I'll take the guess and say that they are not...

The jumpers tend to be a PITA at times....

update:

I thought I would try checking computer management(right click computer...etc etc) and I asked it to detect. It showed,so then I partioned it,ntfs etc, XP did a format,which wasn't nessecary because I already used killdisc on it,but I let it go thru the motions and...low an' behold,there it is now listed under my computer...its listed it as "new volume(E:)" but that will be renamed lickety split....HD with OS is jumped to Master...second HD (slave) I took a shot and removed the jumper,that worked.

thanks guys for yer efforts....

RSD.

now I just have to endour the 2 and a half freaken hours(slight exageration) that it takes to load SP II.

PC's are a royal pain in the asp.

Back