If I want to burn HD videos to DVD do I need a HD dvd ?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
I'm confused lets say I want to strap the gopro to Adam at the beach and then put 1080HD video on DVD to send to Grandpa.
Do I have to have
A: A special HD capable DVD ?
B: A special DVD burner capable of making HD movies ?

or simply because of format it is made in it will burn and play in HD on a HD capable Tele ?

I'm confused ?

If you are trying to burn dvd's from your GoPro HD for use on your big screen tv, I think you are out of luck for quality. Your GoPro records in MPEG4 which is low grade quality. As I understand it, specifically designed for small screen use such as computer and You Tube etc. It's popular because it takes up much less space on your hard drive.

If you want to make dvds for playback on the tv, you'll need a recording device capable of MPEG2 or Mini DV foremat or equilivant.

I'm not all that well schooled but this is how I understand it. Maybe someone will chime in with better knowledge/experience than me?

I'm interested in how to make high quality dvd home movies as well! :beerchug:

But Tuf when I make videos on the GoPro and then hook it up directly to TV it plays back like you cant believe.
In perfect HD , so I am unedumacated as to how and or why I can not transfer same quality simply to DVD ?

You will need some sort of software to edit your material once it's loaded into your computer.

You can use Windows Movie Maker which is most likely already installed in your computer to make your home movies and burn them to dvd. It's pretty basic but you can make decent home movies.

I use Adobe Premiere Elements 8. Great Software for editing and making home movies you can burn to dvd. It's only capable of producing 720 X 480. If you want to make HD dvds you'll need some high dollar recording equipment as well as high dollar software, which Adobe has but it's $$$$$$$$$$$.

But Tuf when I make videos on the GoPro and then hook it up directly to TV it plays back like you cant believe.
In perfect HD , so I am unedumacated as to how and or why I can not transfer same quality simply to DVD ?

You'll have to find someone with much more experience than me to give you all the answers.

Try downloading your material to your computer then use Windows Movie Maker to edit and burn to dvd. Then play it back on your tv. It may work?

I just bought Quicktime from Apple.

I found a dvd here I'm gonna burn one of the vidoes I have to it thru my PC and play it on the tele .
See what happens ?

Get the Cyberlink Power Director 8, $85. I love this software. I won't go into all the specs, you can check it out and see if it's what you're after. If it is you can be up and running tonight. Cyberlink.com

Wow, let's throw a few facts into this discussion:
1. The MPEG4 CODEC is NOT a low quality codec, it's actually a newer, more efficient CODEC capable of handling video at (1920x) 1080p and beyond.
2. Your standard DVD player is going to be able to output (640x) 480p at best, the player may be able to upscale the video, but the DVD medium doesn't support any higher.
3. HD-DVD is a now essencially a dead technology requiring different media and a different player.

A Blue-Ray player is capable of full 1080 video playback but creating Blue-Ray disks is still a little painful and requires a Blue-Ray burner.

One relatively easy option is to put the MP4 file on a DVD or USB stick and play it on a Sony PlayStation 3 at full 1080 resolution (I think the video has to be in a folder called 'Video'). I use this option all the time.

If you want to do conversions between video formats, I highly recommend a free software product called Handbrake

Good luck!

Dehning got to it before I did.

If you want to burn a HD format to disc, you are going to need a bluray burner. If you dont have that, I would also recommend to put it on a usb device and most tvs that support 1080p will have a usb port htat you can use.

I'm anxioust to hear how the dvd turns out!

Tuf Windows Movie maker wont recognize the quicktime format they save at on my computer so I cant even find them to begin with when its open ?
Quicktime still new to me seems to not have a simple 'burn to dvd' button ?
So i'm still workin' on it mentally..
Roxio....others i have I dont know...?

Wow, let's throw a few facts into this discussion:
1. The MPEG4 CODEC is NOT a low quality codec, it's actually a newer, more efficient CODEC capable of handling video at (1920x) 1080p and beyond.
2. Your standard DVD player is going to be able to output (640x) 480p at best, the player may be able to upscale the video, but the DVD medium doesn't support any higher.
3. HD-DVD is a now essencially a dead technology requiring different media and a different player.

A Blue-Ray player is capable of full 1080 video playback but creating Blue-Ray disks is still a little painful and requires a Blue-Ray burner.

One relatively easy option is to put the MP4 file on a DVD or USB stick and play it on a Sony PlayStation 3 at full 1080 resolution (I think the video has to be in a folder called 'Video'). I use this option all the time.

If you want to do conversions between video formats, I highly recommend a free software product called Handbrake

Good luck!

Yes this is what I thought about mpeg4 and 1080.
A really quick simple solution .
Just save it to file and play it on PS3.

Now will a 1080P capable TV w/usb port play it in 1080P ?
Like my Samsung ?
This may be the way.
If so I'll simply buy some mem sticks and mail them .

I really want my father to be able to see his grandkids in full sunny HD playin...on the swing...in the 4 wheeler...at the beach..on his TV relaxing on the couch.

HD handicams are another option but a whole nuther investment.

what model tv? it "should"

Skaz I'm not really thinking model but capability.
A 1080p capable TV with USB port should play it right ?
With a big SHOULD ?

I have a Sammie and I'm not sure which one pops has but both have USBs on them.
Mine as soon as I plug in zipdrive it recogs it and opens it up.

Edit also I have an older Toshiba that only does 1080i and it played the videos on all settings fine even setting 5 which if full 1080p.
Of course it just did not display it in 1080p.

I have DirectTV w/HD as well as PS3 and in other room a Samsung Blu-ray player.
Both are hooked up with the best HDMI cables you cant get coutesy of a friends son who works at best buy. Like 50% off.
Anyway its very difficult if not impossible to tell the diff between a blu-ray disc and one of the newer movies/programs shown on my TV.
The DIrectTV is hooked up same with same cables.
The picture is perfect and even better than some Blu-ray discs I see.
Again some older movies not filmed in HD arent gonna look great either way but some of the newer releases dont even look as good as a movie on FXHD on my TV.
I think Blu-ray is a bit over rated.

Last edited:
i have seen some tvs that will only support pictures via usb port. granted, they are the cheaper variety. again, it should.

there is very little difference between 1080i and 1080p. HDTV is 1080i and Bluray is up to 1080p. The only real way to see the difference, is a freeze frame during a fast scene.

or....rip the file to an .iso then install a virtual drive and mount. Play using the same app you made the movie with. Easy peasy

Samsungs can't play videos directly from flash media. They have no built-in decoders for the protocol.

MP4 is not itself a protocol, but a wrapper for an MPEG2 file. The GoPro records in a QuickTime HD format that is labeled as an MP4. I found that information from Corel while I was trying to edit the GoPro footage. I sent them a sample video that I couldn't open even thought Video Studio Pro supports MP4. Renaming the file extension to .mov did the trick to allow editing without conversion.

Blu-Ray isn't a protocol either. It's a storage device. It only holds the information that the author records to it. The less the movie is compressed, the better the output. That is also true with music. Most HD TV station are broadcasting the maximum that they can support without flooding over their FCC limits. If you recorded that output uncompressed for two hours it may not fit on a Blu-Ray. Most Blu-Ray movies are compressed almost as much as a DVD. They play it back at 1080p because of the slightly less compression. A true HD movie would fill the Blu-Ray without any extra features. Try making an HD video using MPEG2 at 1080p that is two hours long and you will see what I mean. I have some 58 minute videos that are 18GB and larger uncompressed. Stretch that to two hours and it will exceed 36GB. Being that a Dual Layer Blu-Ray can only hold 50GB there is not much room for the extras in HD.

owwwwwwwwwww my head...too much smarty talk.......owwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Back